Heffron Park Race Reports - 28 April 12

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 28 Apr 2012, 18:34

Fabulous turnout by DHBC. 6 crisp red jerseys, and I believe 3 to 4 virgin riders at Heffron. This means madatory race reports by each debutant!

Only 6 to 7 starters for D Grade, but Lizanne's presence ensured DHBC had a 1/3 representation. There were three to four teenagers. I warned Lizanne that they will go hard with attacks left right and centre, so let them lose their breath, let us oldies warm up, then catch one of the breaks about half-way, then keep going and split the bunch.

Unfortunatly for Lizanne on lap 6 one of the lads (the same guy I dead-heated with last week) kept going pretty hard when B or C grade were going by and created a gap. It took me 500 metres to catch him and looking behind Lizanne and the others were left well behind - it was a bit marginal by him as to whether he should have been allowed to do this or not as Lizanne and the others were disadvantaged.

Anyway, like last week we worked together evenly, but I didn't have the same legs as last week, and he kept urging me to keep going as the guy in third was 300 metres behind for 4 laps and gaining on us. I told him to go if I was holding him back as I had nothing more to give. With 2 laps to go the other teenager caught us with what I suspect was some help by passing B and C grade, as he 'appeared' just after they rode by, but I think he would have closed on us anyway within another lap without slip stream.

On the last lap B and C passed us and we agreed between the three of us to ride neutrally. Once they were about 100 metres ahead of us on the last bends it was back on again, and I unfortunatly was stuck in first around into the straight. As they sped up and started to pass I felt I just didn't have it to match, and then I cramped in my right calf and that was that.

Third Place, and $15 buckaroos AND I've been advised I've graduated to C GRADE. Maybe at last I will have a group to sit in behind. Yay!

And the mandatory reports from the other debutants follow...........

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Apr 2012, 20:39

Great riding mate

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 30 Apr 2012, 08:01

Well, a virgin at Heffron i'm not. First time with RBCC though. So automatically placed into C grade. The pace was higher than i'm used to at ~38km\hr average.

The bunch sped up and slowed for the first 5 laps as a small break away formed.

At around ~8 laps to go, i found myself at the pointy end of the chasing bunch and felt good as i took some corners with a good exit speed. I launched an attack down the back to be snuffed out by the headwind. Ben (DHBC) followed and left me. He managed to bridge the gap on his own. I returned to the bunch.

A few laps later my legs were done and with ~4 to go abandoned. The bunch came back together with a few to go. I got comfy on the grass.

A young lass who sat on the back most of the race was soon at the front with 1 lap to go crossing the line on her own in first. Ben finishing with the main bunch.

Looking forward to seeing you in C grade Geoff.

Cheers,

Noel

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Apr 2012, 12:20

girl that sat on the back for the whole race won it hey?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 30 Apr 2012, 12:42

sounds like a good tactic!

Return to “Conversation”