UCI's silly rules

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 10 Apr 2012, 14:13

http://www.cyclingsa.com/App_Resources/ ... 000956.pdf

The above link is for the UCI's new list of rules. Of particular amusement are the following:

Page 24,25, Saddle must be horizontal (within 2.5 degrees)

Page 26, Aero bars must be below saddle. (sorry to people with bad backs)

Page 36, Compression clothing, stretching or support clothing cannot be wore. (sorry girls no sports bras, its UCI rules)

Page 38, the use of shoe covers will be prohibited during events on a covered track. (sorry Mat, time to sell the booties)

Page 38, Socks use in competition must not exceed the mid-distance between the ankle and the knee....

Page 39, Max dimensions for a bottle must not exceed 10cm or be less than 4cm and must be between 0.4l and 0.8l (throw out your large bottles).

Page 42, No removing of the dropout safety tab from front fork.

Page 43, Center of pedal axle to rear of front tire at center of pedal platform must be greater than 89 mm. (basically lizanne you cant race any bike with 700c wheels anymore)

A lot of these rules seem very poorly thought out and written, open to interpretation of the person doing the inspection.

Some additional amusement below.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ckers.html

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 10 Apr 2012, 14:22

nooooooooo
i wanna race 700c wheels.
i have never liked my saddle to be horizontal.
my bars have never been lower than my saddle either.

on the plus side polka dot bikini here I come :)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Apr 2012, 14:58

http://www.cyclingsa.com/App_Resources/ ... 000956.pdf
Page 43, Centre of pedal axle to rear of front tire at centre of pedal platform must be greater than 89 mm. (basically lizanne you cant race any bike with 700c wheels anymore)
Joanne's is about 55mm on her road bike ....

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 10 Apr 2012, 22:03

Page 26, Aero bars must be below saddle. (sorry to people with bad backs)
Well, given I can't raise my seat any higher or I won't be able to reach the pedals and I've got a short headtube that can't go any lower, that means I'll have to attach the bars to the front axle or something to achieve that. A radical new form of clip ons.
Page 36, Compression clothing, stretching or support clothing cannot be wore. (sorry girls no sports bras, its UCI rules)
Actually, no lycra at all - it stretches.
Page 38, Socks use in competition must not exceed the mid-distance between the ankle and the knee....
Yes but what colour must they be?
Page 43, Center of pedal axle to rear of front tire at center of pedal platform must be greater than 89 mm. (basically lizanne you cant race any bike with 700c wheels anymore)
Double bad news for you Lizanne - I have 30mm separation on 650s. We'll all have to move to a Bike Friday or something. Or get something with super relaxed angles.

This is a plot against short women in need of support clothing and with small bikes.

Toff

Postby Toff » 14 Apr 2012, 00:44

This is not a plot against short women. This is the fuddy duddies at the UCI proving how incredibly out of touch with reality they are.

I have a few bikes, as most of you probably know, and, whilst I have not measured them all yet, it looks like at least half of them do not comply with the 89mm pedal rule.

On a positive note, I have a whole bunch of forks which were built without flanges on them, which I probably could sell. Hmmm. Almost all steel, and almost all one inch threaded... Perhaps not so useful. I note the rules aren't exactly clear on what the people who filed off their fork tabs prior to the new rules coming out have to do.

Regarding the Cameron Meyer bike: He clearly has the South African colours on his bike. Nothing to do with the world champ colours. The UCI had no legit claim. See here:
ImageImage

He could just as legitimately claim that the colours are those of the Olympic logo, and nothing to do with the UCI or any one nation. The order of the colours is the same, but the wavy pattern is unique to Cameron's bike.

Wonder whether the UCI would have made Chris Hoy remove his tattoo, (which also is in the UCI World champ colours) if his sleeves had been a bit shorter. The logic is the same...

Return to “Conversation”