Slowies crash

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Bronwen

Postby Bronwen » 26 Feb 2012, 10:28

Hi everyone!
Just letting you all know that after coming off my bike (rather spectacularly, I imagine) in the Slowies ride yesterday at Wilson St, Newtown ... I'm fine.

Thanks so much to all who stayed with me, especially Geoff your calmness and taking of responsibility (including the paparazzi shots :wink: ), the kind gentleman who sacrificed his handkerchief and Eleri for giving me a ride home and checking on me. Your care is greatly appreciated. I hope the rest of the ride was enjoyable and uneventful.

The cause - a very large asphalt dent/pucker on the approach to the first roundabout after Varga Bar. So be careful - it's nasty. It's a very strange feeling when you're in mid air and you know you're just about to hit the ground. I remember it all. I feel very fortunate that my injuries are relatively minor. I'm also grateful that those riding behind were paying attention, it could've been much worse! Sorry if any distress was caused.

Good news, my chin has a puncture wound (possibly from my hard plastic helmet clip - but this probably saved me getting gravel rash), that narrowly escaped being stitched. My right thigh is swollen and very bruised but has responded well to lashings of Hirudoid cream and ice (someone said remember ice is your best friend - we've gone beyond friends!), and the other grazes were well patched by my local doctor and nurse. As a precaution they sent me for X-rays of my jaw and neck as apparently you can walk around with neck injuries without realising it and they can lead to instability longer term. I'm aching all over today and my chest is still sore, but the doctor didn't think it anything to worry about.

My bike seems fine - but the seat has been shredded. I'll probably manage with it, but it would be good to replace it - don't know where I'd get another one, the bike is 15 years old. Anyone have a spare KHS Town and Country bike seat? Maybe it's a message about getting a new bike :? ! It wouldn't be the same without the retro brown seat.

Thanks again everyone - I must say I love riding on Saturdays and mostly because you're such a great bunch of human beings.

Don't worry if you don't see me at Slowies this coming Saturday (possibly wouldn't have come anyway - taking it easy), but I'll be in Adelaide for the Festival of Arts - Freiburg Baroque and Ennio Morricone) :D ! Hope to see you on my bike in two weeks.

Cheerio, Bronwen.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 26 Feb 2012, 10:36

Glad to hear you're OK. Just to be clear, is that the corner of Wilson & Brown St then?

Bronwen

Postby Bronwen » 26 Feb 2012, 10:42

Actually, it might have be Burren - Geoff can confirm. He used an app to report it to the Council. B

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 26 Feb 2012, 11:56

Yes, it was just before the roundabout at the corner of Wilson and Burren.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 26 Feb 2012, 19:49

Bronwen

Great to hear a fairly good recovery. Thanks for the update.

Unfortunate reminder to us all, how quickly an enjoyable ride can result in injury - although the benefits of cycling are in most cases much, much more beneficial.

timyone

Postby timyone » 27 Feb 2012, 11:08

Man I know that air feeling! Wondering what will happen next!

Bronwen

Postby Bronwen » 27 Feb 2012, 11:37

Yes, and knowing you can't do anything about it when it does!

Today's update. X-rays all clear. Bruise getting bigger and darker. Chin healing well. Bit painful walking around, but much better than yesterday. I don't think I need to bore you all with the details from here on.

Thanks for your well wishes.
Cheers, Bronwen.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 27 Feb 2012, 13:03

Good to hear you are healing up.
marc :)

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 27 Feb 2012, 14:45

Hows your healing up going, Marc?
Last edited by Karzie on 27 Feb 2012, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Bronwen

Postby Bronwen » 27 Feb 2012, 14:51

Hey Marc! I should've titled this topic Slowies crash II in deference to you! I was so shocked when I read what had happened to you last week. How are you going? Are the aches going away slowly? Hope you're healing well too.
Thinking of you, here's to a speed recovery, hope to see you riding again soon,
Cheerio, B

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 28 Feb 2012, 06:36

Hi Bronwen and Karzie,
Actually it is coming along well. The lacerations are healing quick. There are a couple of question marks on other issues which I'd probably need more medical advice on, but for now it is too early and will wait for it to heal.

Return to “Conversation”