Buddhism on a Bike - competitive cycling research

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Camilla

Postby Camilla » 20 Feb 2012, 08:42

A request for help from John Scott-Hamilton of Armidale for help with research on competitive cyclists:

My name is John Scott-Hamilton and I am a PhD student currently doing research in Sport Psychology at the University of New England, Armidale NSW. As part of my doctorate I am running a survey called Buddhism on a Bike: Tailoring Mindfulness-Acceptance to Promote Flow in Competitive Cyclists. As a researcher and passionate competitive cyclist (member of the Armidale road cycling and New England MTB clubs), I am appealing to fellow competitive cyclists for their help by participating in this survey which will take approximately 40 minutes to complete.

The survey, and the research stemming from the results, relates to a new area of Sport Psychology underpinned by a 2500 year -old Buddhist practice called mindfulness-awareness, and the psychological construct of flow. Inspired by promising research showing the effectiveness of mindfulness training on the enhancement of sports performance, my research proposes to extend limited existing knowledge by specifically examining mindfulness, flow, sports-specific anxiety, and performance enhancement within the domain of competitive cycling.

The ultimate aim of my research is to development a tailored 8-week mindfulness protocol training competitive cyclists to use mindfulness-acceptance skills (meditation, mindful-yoga, mindful-spinning) to reduce concentration anxiety disruptions by increasing their present-moment focus (i.e., attention and awareness of prevailing sensations and emotions) on the task at hand to promote peak experience
(flow) and optimal performance. Beyond the enhancement of physical and mental skills on the bike, this research also seeks to promote the enhancement of psychological well-being in all domains of life.
It is my hope that the aforementioned protocol will eventually be available for all cyclists. However, we first need to trial and examine this program. Consequently, and as part of the survey, participants are asked to disclose their general locality so that I can determine if there is enough interest in a given region. If you feel your members may be interested, please urge them to partake in the survey by accessing the link I have provided below. However, please feel free to email or call me if you have any questions.

Although there is no threatening content in this survey, due to ethical constraints, this survey is only open to competitive cyclists aged 16 years and above. Interested juniors aged between 16 and 18 are strongly advised to obtain parental or guardian permission before accessing the survey questionnaires.
Survey link: http://unebcss.us2.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI ... JQL0Y4ebsw

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Regards,
John Scott-Hamilton BPSYC(Hons)
Contact: jscottha@une.edu.au or 02 6773 5017 or mob 0422541389

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Feb 2012, 20:23

oooo how competitive do we have to be? (I have read some good things about mindfulness and mental health!).

rhys

Postby rhys » 23 Feb 2012, 21:00

Did this at work the other day. Managed to confuse myself entirely. I don't think I am a very competitive person.

Return to “Conversation”