choosing broadband internet

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Dec 2011, 16:21

Heya people, I need to get some internet, which TPG seems to be the cheapest, but also need a homeline. Which the cheapest seems to be around 30 bucks a month (Telstra has a cheaper one but only if you get their internet too).

so with that in mind, it looks like possibly getting either TPG's internet plus homeline might be the easiest, and close to the cheapest?

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services ... /homephone

or naked broadband?

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/ull_pricing.php (60 bucks a month can get you a meg a second), though I need to check if I can get it)

I am totally not into all this hey! any tips? I don't actually need the phone line.

Toff

Postby Toff » 14 Dec 2011, 19:16

TPG is a good reliable service. I use it. Your speed for ADSL 2+ will depend on how far away from the exchange your house is. The support from the Phillipines is also pretty painful if you need it, but it rarely (if ever) goes down, so you don't need to worry about support that often.

mr mojo

Postby mr mojo » 14 Dec 2011, 20:22

Hi Tim,

You might also want to look into iinet. We switched over recently (sorry can't remember exact details of the plan as my wife is the IT expert in our family) but from memory internet (ADSL2+) and home line is about $30/month.

Cheers
Spiros

Toff

Postby Toff » 14 Dec 2011, 20:44

I've had a look at the iinet web page, and the cheapest option is their bundle of home phone and ADSL2+, which comes at a bundled price of $59.90 per month, which is basically the same cost as TPG. Wiith iinet though, you only get 10 gig of peak use downloads, whereas TPG is unlimited downloads. TPG wins hands down in that comparison, even if their telephone calls are a couple of cents more per call. The comparable plan with iinet would cost around $130 per month, and even then, it's still not unlimited downloads.

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 14 Dec 2011, 21:34

I have iinet and am quite happy with it. Local or kiwi support too, they are quite helpful

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk

timyone

Postby timyone » 15 Dec 2011, 08:16

cool thanks every one (feel free to keep posting answers, I always find these threads come up every year or so), I will see if I can get the naked broadband option as we don't need the telephone part of it. If not, I will just get the phone plus broadband option and not use the phone bit.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Dec 2011, 10:28

Naked DSL is good but make sure your house already has a landline connection. There may also be a initial fee to activate the line for DSL use (depending on who is was connected to last and the ISP you select.) Using Naked DSL, you can also then choose to make phone calls to fixed lines / mobiles via Sykpe or other VoIP services.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 16 Dec 2011, 10:05

I have iiNet and it's brilliant. Admittedly we are only a block from the exchange which helps but the iinet technician said it was the fastest connection he had seen. We pay $60 a month. $30 line rental and $30 internet. We also get unlimited phone calls to local numbers and all Australian mobile phones.

As Stuart said, make sure you have a landline connection. iiNet charged about $200 (from memory) to activate the line but worse was the 30 day wait for Telstra to get to the exchange.

The connection has only gone down once and that was because rats (or some other creature) had chewed the incoming cable.

timyone

Postby timyone » 16 Dec 2011, 10:17

yeah I think our conection has finished :( so may have to skip naked :(

Return to “Conversation”