Time for a charity thing

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
timyone

Postby timyone » 07 Oct 2011, 10:29

Ok people, I was reading on facebook that a lad who was a member of our club called Matt is doing 24 hours of gaming for a charity, and I realised that if you can do some thing fun like that and raise money, and have it called a good thing to do etc, then maybe we should be doing some thing for a charity, some thing fun? or some thing hard? our sydney to Melbourne ride was way harder than what most people of any sort would do, and raise money, so it cant be that hard right!

So what we need is a charity, and some thing to do to raise money. Ideas? (I realise that there's people doing a heap of different rides MS etc etc, but yeah, I thought maybe it would be nice for us to do one.)

If I had a choice, the charity would be some thing for humans of some sort.

Here is Matt's link, I think it is so funny that you can raise money by playing games!!
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fus ... ntID=21924

mr mojo

Postby mr mojo » 07 Oct 2011, 12:16

Good idea Tim,

My suggestion would be to link up with the Oncology Children's Foundation (OCF) which is dedicated to raising money for childhood cancer research with the lowest rates of survival.

It is a pretty good fit for the club as they already use various cycling rides (Spring Cycle, Fitz's Challenge, Audax Alpine classic etc) that our members participate in.

If you are interested, more info on the OCF can be found at www.ocf.com.au

Cheers
Spiros

timyone

Postby timyone » 07 Oct 2011, 12:39

Sounds good mr mojo :)

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 07 Oct 2011, 13:14

I'd support something like that for sure. Actually I used to do a few century rides each summer as fundraisers; I should get back to that.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 07 Oct 2011, 19:18

A few of us are doing the Gong RIde to raise money for the MS Society... That's a good start?

timyone

Postby timyone » 09 Oct 2011, 19:53

That is a great start, but I am thinking we should be able to put some thing on as a club, at the track or other? any crazy fun ideas what though?

patn

Postby patn » 09 Oct 2011, 20:43

Good idea Tim, there are a stack of charities doing great work for all sorts of causes - would be great to choose one and get behind them. My idea - how bout we make a couple of teams and do a "Le Tempe 24hr race?". Teams of 2/3/4 or whatever, most laps in 24hrs wins. Proceeds to charity of winning team's choice. Start at like 8pm on Friday night, finish at 8pm on Saturday night and have a big party!

patn

Postby patn » 10 Oct 2011, 18:42

So does nobody think a 24hr race is a good idea? Simon - has it been done before?
It'd be awesome fun!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 10 Oct 2011, 22:00

I like the sound of the 24hr, though i'm not sure how we would keep it interesting, or how we would count the laps.

Toff

Postby Toff » 11 Oct 2011, 09:40

Lindsay and I talked about the 24 hour velodrome thingy a while back. Thoughts were along the lines of a 24 hour derby above the blue line on the velodrome, and possibly other shorter races taking place below the blue line (like pursuits, etc.) There would also be infield entertainment, with a swap meet, and food stalls, and similar fun stuff. Problem is, that riding for 24 hours on a velodrome WILL drive you insane. Ask anyone who has had a crack at the one-hour record how hard that is. 24 hours is crazy. Hey, what the hell, let's make it 6 non-stop days. That's never been done before has it?

patn

Postby patn » 11 Oct 2011, 11:25

Toff that sound awesome! Swap meet, bbq etc. I may or may not be insane anyway, so what do I have to lose!?! :) Anyways I reckon it would be a heap of fun, and hard...

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 11 Oct 2011, 11:58

we could get all the old gear out of the back and see how many jr/club bike we can get working again.

timyone

Postby timyone » 02 Dec 2011, 11:01

http://bikeclub.wordpress.com/

Ok, new plan, after seeing how much was raised by our our MS Gong ride, I have decided that the club is doing a great job already for that sort of charity etc, and that maybe we should do some thing slightly different, and Adrian posted the link to a vote for the Nunnery bike fixing place in Waterloo/Redfern which I had a look at, and I think a few different members of our club along the way have gotten involved there along the way.

Here is some info from the above link about what they do.
Workshop Details
Mondays 5-9pm and now Wednesdays
(Weds started 2 June 2010) Rain, hail or shine !
In the car park, 1 Phillip St., Waterloo (cnr Cope St.)

WHAT DO WE DO ? – OUR MISSION

Cycle Re-Cycle Club (affectionately known as “The Nunnery Bike Workshop”) is a community based group of enthusiastic bike minded people who gratefully receive pre-loved or abandoned bikes, parts and accessories to help you make a working bike to go back into the community. At present, we have only limited means to receive bikes outside our operating time, but give us a call and we might be able to pick up.

Our goals are to:

assist disadvantaged people from the local and wider community to own a bicycle.
maintain and increase the availability of bicycles.
provide a social forum for exchange of ideas and experiences to enhance client knowledge.

Our volunteers work alongside people from the local community, sharing their mechanical knowledge and showing them how to use tools to recycle discarded and pre-loved bicycles and to repair and maintain them afterwards. All aimed at increasing the use of bikes in and around Sydney.

We and others like you who attend, will help you to use our tools carefully and safely and to select parts available, to build a bike for yourself or a friend or repair or maintain your own bike. In return, we ask that you come back to help others, using what you have learned from us.

Access to tools, parts, components and consumables is free and you are encouraged to ensure the club’s future by participating in our activities and returning to share your knowledge with others. For more detail on what we expect from you in return for what we give to you, please see our How Does Bike Club Work ? page on this site.

Join in with us and learn all about how bikes work and / or share your knowledge and experiences or just come along and have some social time.

Everyone is welcome !

OUR PLACE IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY

Currently based at 1 Phillip St., Waterloo (cnr Phillip and Cope Sts.), in the grounds of the Housing NSW precinct, we serve a wide range of people from a variety of cultural backgrounds including local indigenous people, the unemployed and nearby residents. We also receive visitors from all over Sydney including students, backpackers and foreign language visitors to Sydney / Australia.

We are located in the two garages below the ‘Turanga’ building and have been affiliated with The Factory Community Centre Incorporated since Jan 2009.

For a summary of our history, beginnings and vision for our future, see our How Does Bike Club Work ? page on this site.

A map is available at the Bikely website showing the route from our previous location at Forbes St., Newtown to our new Phillip St., Waterloo location.

WHEN ARE WE OPEN ?

We open every Monday 5-9pm excluding 25/12 and 01/01 (we’re all volunteers, so sometimes we might be a bit late opening up). If you believe you can commit to opening up Bike Club for us one Monday a month, please see the contact list below. If it’s raining, feel free to call us to see if we’re there. Same goes with long weekends.

DO YOU SELL SECOND HAND BIKES ?

We do not build second hand bikes to sell, however, we can put you in touch with people that do, so feel free to ask. We would rather have your help than your money and having some people as customers and some as bike sellers detracts from the community nature of our Bike Club.

HOW CAN I HELP ?

Cycle Re-Cycle does not charge for its services. To remain viable, we rely solely upon donations of bike parts and consumables with volunteers giving freely of their time and bike mechanics’ expertise.

We gratefully receive pre-loved or abandoned bikes, parts and accessories. At present, we are only able to take donations on Monday afternoons during our operating hours (5-8pm).

Anyone showing up on Mondays is encouraged to take part in the running of the workshop. This can be by simply donating their time to help others learn how to maintain or repair their bike, help sorting of parts and components or general housekeeping. The idea is that anyone who attends learns by hands on experience how to maintain/repair their bike and be able to share the knowledge gained with others.

To be up with all the news and to be involved in the latest happenings at the workshop, visit our Events, Diary, Discussion page.

If you find our help valuable or just had a good experience at Bike Club and would like to show your appreciation with a donation in kind (stuff we need), we always need inner tube repair / patch kits, degreaser, tools, oil and grease and, of course, we’d like your company while we fix bikes and help to keep the club going. Most of all, we are always on the lookout for mechanically skilled people to share their talents.

The first time you attend, please ask for a tour of how the place works and where stuff goes. Then, every time you attend to work on your bike, we ask that you spend 20 min to tidy up your work area to keep the workspace you used clean and tidy and help maintain the work space for the comfort and safety of everyone else. This labour share is what keeps Bike Club running smoothly and makes it a good experience for others coming after you.

Ok what I am thinking, is that we decide on an idea, possibly try and get some sponsors etc. But what is the plan?

rhys

Postby rhys » 02 Dec 2011, 12:36

12 hour track ride would be good, and if it works out we could use it to generate publicity for a 24 hour event. Maybe have teams of 4, and one person must be on the track at all times? like a relay/madison/12hr mtb race would be.

Return to “Conversation”