DANGERS OF CARRYING YOUR BIKES ON A CAR RACK

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Richard

Postby Richard » 01 Oct 2011, 18:32

Beware

I was carrying my bikes on a tow bar mounted bike rack when driving down to Canberra this morning. The rear number plate was partially obscured and I was pulled up by the constabulary.

$353 fine and 3 points from the licence!!!!

The officer had a number plate reading device mounted on the car and he couldn't identify our plate so we were hauled over.

He stated that even a makeshift 2nd number plate on the bike rack would not comply because it cant be read by his gizmo and that it has to be an RTA issued bike rack number plate.

Thankfully I have a clean licence and the officer said that I can apply to have the fine waived and a caution issued.

I ended up taking off the number plate off the car and cable tied it to the bikes.

Last time I'll make that mistake.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 02 Oct 2011, 08:51

Been there, done that!
We were done with our old tandem on the back of the corolla. When the rack was in one position the number plate was visible but the one time i got it wrong.....
We also received a warning for the width but were legal by a smidge.
You would think they would have something better to do though

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.902248,151.119847

rhys

Postby rhys » 02 Oct 2011, 20:09

Double demerits this weekend too. Luckily he didn't ping you for that.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 04 Oct 2011, 14:22

That has also happened to me too. But when I waved my blonde hair around and played innocent female they let me off with a warning.

If you go on to the RTA website you can order a Bike Rack number plate for about $30 or so. Pretty easy to do and I have not been pulled up since.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 10 Oct 2011, 06:47

The other trick for young players is that it takes about 2-3 weeks for the RTA's bike rack plates to arrive.
So if you are thinking of buying a rack, order the plate before you buy the rack so you are covered from day one.

Return to “Conversation”