I want to go to Waterfall! But not on singles/tubular tyres

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 12 Aug 2011, 15:29

I presently have singles/tubulars wheels. This is part of an old, some say vintage, bike.
While I like my retro set up, it is not very convenient if I want to do practical things like the Sunday Waterfall ride. If the tubulars get a flat, I am in trouble.
I am looking for a reasonable set of wheels, front and rear and preferably with a 5 gear cluster (14T-25T)
Have made enquiries about getting new old style wheels made up and the price hovers over the $350 mark.
Would appreciate if someone came up with a more affordable solution.
Regards
marc

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 12 Aug 2011, 15:53

Ribble and Chain reaction have very cheap clincher wheels and cassettes although for five cogs you may need something that doesn't come off the shelf. a chat with your LBS might do the trick.

see you on the road.

Dougie

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Aug 2011, 16:17

There's a old bike auction house on Wattle St, Ultimo. They are open on Sat mornings and have plenty of old bikes. You might have luck hunting something down there.

utopia

Postby utopia » 12 Aug 2011, 17:44

This is my suggestion:
Item 1/ Fill tires with latex sealant
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-caffe-l ... 50ml/#more
or
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/stans-no-tubes- ... sealant-1/

Item 2/ Get a cheap-ish tubular backup.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-giro-tubular-tyre/
Either shove it into a bidon holder during a ride (I would suggest clingwrap with item #3)
or in your jersey back pocket

item 3(and 4)/ CO2 Inflator ( ensure you have gloves when you use these )
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Bike-Rider- ... gory=12794

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 12 Aug 2011, 18:04

This is my suggestion:
Item 1/ Fill tires with latex sealant
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-caffe-l ... 50ml/#more
or
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/stans-no-tubes- ... sealant-1/

Item 2/ Get a cheap-ish tubular backup.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-giro-tubular-tyre/
Either shove it into a bidon holder during a ride (I would suggest clingwrap with item #3)
or in your jersey back pocket

item 3(and 4)/ CO2 Inflator ( ensure you have gloves when you use these )
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Bike-Rider- ... gory=12794
Utopia
Coincidentally, I was looking at this (or similar) latext product at Ashfield Cycles this arvo. Asked Caine about it and he told me how it worked. Has anyone had any experience using this with tubular/singles tyres on old Weinmann alloy rims?

utopia

Postby utopia » 12 Aug 2011, 18:20

Hmmm... I don't see how or why the age or mat'l of the rims would play a part.
From what I understand, the latex spins inside the tire and once there is a cut, the escaping air pushes the latex out to form the seal.
My mate used it with his carbon wheels+ tubulars and I have used them inside my inner tubes with clinchers.
So far they have saved my ride from resolving 2 cuts on the road.

rhys

Postby rhys » 14 Aug 2011, 14:22

The latex stuff has been around for years and everyone I know who uses it swears by it.
Alternatively, get a pair of gatorskin tubulars, and never get a flat again.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 16 Aug 2011, 07:50

There's a old bike auction house on Wattle St, Ultimo. They are open on Sat mornings and have plenty of old bikes. You might have luck hunting something down there.
Weiyun, I thought those guys closed about 2 weeks ago. I got an old road frame from them cheap which I intend to make into an everyday commuter. When I last spoke to Pete then, he wasnt sure where or when they were reopening. I did look around for appropriate clincher type wheels then, but nothing appropriate.
Last night even tried the Cycle Re-Cycle (formerly the Nunnery) workshop at Redfern/Waterloo. Was told they had no 700c wheel stuff and that if they had it didnt last long.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 16 Aug 2011, 07:57

From what I understand, the latex spins inside the tire and once there is a cut, the escaping air pushes the latex out to form the seal.
My mate used it with his carbon wheels+ tubulars and I have used them inside my inner tubes with clinchers.
So far they have saved my ride from resolving 2 cuts on the road.
I got a price for setting up a set of new wheels and they were $350 for new rims, spokes and low flanged hubs. Finances are tight at the moment and I may do this by the end of the year. In the meantime I am erring towards the latext anti-puncture thingey. I was told it might be a problem pumping it into my schrader tyres.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Aug 2011, 08:20

So Marc is the problem with getting new, cheap 700c wheels (like a set of bottom of the line Shimano's for < $150) that you can't get a hub to fit or that they won't look like they belong on the bike?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 16 Aug 2011, 08:26

if you'r looking for parts/scraps i have a 700c wheel in ok condition. it's set up for a single speed and has a broken spoke, I have a feeling a few more are on the way out too. but if you want to collect bits an pieces it's all your's for free.

I have a set of singles (awesome mavic cosmics!) for my road bike that i use to race and show off the vintage look. but i also have a spare clincher training set (9speed) that you can use if you want to give waterfall a go.

chuckdbacon

Postby chuckdbacon » 16 Aug 2011, 09:54

Hi Marc,

I have a pair of wheels you can have, from a fixed conversion. They look to be in good condition. May be 6 speed though, I'll check and let you know.

Charlie

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 16 Aug 2011, 10:20

Dear Stuart, Lizanne and Charlie,

Thanks for advice and offers.
Stuart: Yes I would like to maintain the look of my old bike. For those who havent seen the bike, it is an old handmade bike (builder unknown so far) from the 1960s. To put on modern V-rimmed styled wheels looks horrible. I tried it once with a spare from Ashfield Cycles and it looked yuk.

Lizanne and Charlie: Your offers sound great. Would need front and rear wheels. I intend to replace the gear cluster with a 14T-25T. At the moment it has a 14T-21T, which is hard on hills. How do we progress this from here?

Intend to put the old tubular Weinmann wheels away and only take them out when showing it off as a period piece.

Thanks
Marc

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Aug 2011, 11:13

Weiyun, I thought those guys closed about 2 weeks ago. I got an old road frame from them cheap which I intend to make into an everyday commuter. When I last spoke to Pete then, he wasnt sure where or when they were reopening. I did look around for appropriate clincher type wheels then, but nothing appropriate.
Last night even tried the Cycle Re-Cycle (formerly the Nunnery) workshop at Redfern/Waterloo. Was told they had no 700c wheel stuff and that if they had it didnt last long.
Didn't know Pete has shuttered up. Recall seeing that tandem at the entrance just last week.

Guess the hard part is finding one that's compatible with 5 speed. I also have an unused old bike lying around with clincher wheels, but no ideas whether it is compatible in the cassettes department.

Return to “Conversation”