New Website is Live - Feedback Requested

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Jun 2011, 18:56

Hello all - The new DHBC website is live at http://www.dhbc.org.au Please stop by and check it out. I'm very keen for your feedback, including typo's and broken links (of which there will be a few as its been moved in the directory structure so my test links will have broken in many cases).

I'd also like to hear your idea for pages or content - one of the first changes I'll be making is to the home page where the landing area will not be the static content it is now. The content has either been taken from the previous website or written by myself and Simon S. Any successful website needs constant content including photo's, race reports, race results etc. so that means we needs members to contribute. I'll be doing more to enable club members to update the site themselves over the coming months but the idea is that the website will replace the forum as the place for most club related information, upcoming event notification and racing results.

The members area is still under construction and is probably about 2 weeks away at this time, including the ability to purchase club kit on-line. You will need to be a club member to access this feature and other exciting content such as committee meeting minutes. Members will also be receiving a monthly newsletter, with links back tot website to drive hits and get us up the Google search ladder. So, if you've got some great photos or are a budding writer (Dougie & Matt, where are you? - would you like a blog page? ) I want to hear from you.

Lastly, the members area will use information from CNSW for your contact details - if you haven't updated your address, email or phones with CNSW since they last changed, please do so ASAP.

Thanks all - it's taken a year more than it should have but we're almost there.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 16 Jun 2011, 19:27

Looks great! On the women's page, should it say who the women shoulkd talk to for the cycling queries?

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 16 Jun 2011, 19:28

Just in case my point wasn't clear, it looks REALLY great! Job well done!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Jun 2011, 19:34

Looks great! On the women's page, should it say who the women should talk to for the cycling queries?
Jess - we need to talk re the women's page :-) I wrote that in about 2 minutes. We can have sub menus with stories (like the still not here women's day interviews) , links to contacts, track, Vic's touring stories (Hi Vic), RAW Track Women, etc etc - but this needs to be owned by the women in the club and I can enable you make the content.

If you want to start with contacts - email them to me and I'll include. Also - any more text to contribute for the main page? Then, think about how this section should be done and we'll get it happening.

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 16 Jun 2011, 20:35

I have to say I am also very impressed. I can't find any fault. Tried it in a bunch of different browsers. It works well in all.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Jun 2011, 21:27

Finally the club front page is correctly presented in Safari browser. Good job!

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 16 Jun 2011, 23:13

Stuart,

Great job! (respectfully, I did notice the odd typo. I will cut and paste if you wish or crawl under a rock and die if that would be more preferable.)

Cheers

Dougie

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 17 Jun 2011, 07:49

Jess - we need to talk re the women's page :-) I wrote that in about 2 minutes. We can have sub menus with stories (like the still not here women's day interviews) , links to contacts, track, Vic's touring stories (Hi Vic), RAW Track Women, etc etc - but this needs to be owned by the women in the club and I can enable you make the content.

If you want to start with contacts - email them to me and I'll include. Also - any more text to contribute for the main page? Then, think about how this section should be done and we'll get it happening.
Cool bananas, I will have a good think about it all over the weekend.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 17 Jun 2011, 08:53

Stuart, Great job! (respectfully, I did notice the odd typo. I will cut and paste if you wish or crawl under a rock and die if that would be more preferable.)
Cheers Dougie
If you could point out the article and cut/paste the problem that would be great - spell checkers don't get them all and the one in Joomla can't 'learn' words either.

BTW - I've got you down for a blog page for the TDU in 2012 - you can't say no. Also, maybe even a 'domestics tales from the peleton' type page for occasional ride / race reports - what thinks you?

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 17 Jun 2011, 09:26

Hi Stuart! Love it love it love it!

One ommision I did notice is that under "how to join" there's no mention of how actually to join. You know, signing up with Cycling Aust online etc. If this bit hasn't already been written & just fallen off I'm happy to write it for you and gather the neccesary links.

Surprisingly, I particularly like the twitter feed! Excellent idea. Interesting and a good way to easily announce cancelled rides etc.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 17 Jun 2011, 12:02

Hi Stuart

Yes, very happy to write about the TDU and any all others i do (I may be hitting the HTM Brisbane to Gold Coast 100Km in October). I am also happy to write about my "domestics" duties, i cook and clean. I am simply quite the catch. The viewers however maybe a little more interested in the experiences from the back of the bunch rather than the back of the laundry. I am a Domestique!

Cheers

Dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 17 Jun 2011, 13:16

Hi Stuart ~snip~ I am a Domestique! - Dougie
I never said I could spell .... it was pre coffee ... it was .. well, I'm sure I could come up with more excuses.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 17 Jun 2011, 13:34

Hi Stuart! Love it love it love it!

One omission I did notice is that under "how to join" there's no mention of how actually to join. You know, signing up with Cycling Aust online etc. If this bit hasn't already been written & just fallen off I'm happy to write it for you and gather the necessary links.

Surprisingly, I particularly like the twitter feed! Excellent idea. Interesting and a good way to easily announce cancelled rides etc.
Thanks Camilla and you've unconsciously found something that I had thought about - all the buttons have links as well as drop down menu's so the 'How to join' info is accessed via clicking the button itself but as you've just discovered, this can be confusing so I'll add a menu item on all the buttons that is the same as the button itself.

I'm glad you like the Twitter feed - as you say it's such an easy way to give info about cancelled rides etc and if you're on twitter and following DHBC then you can get updates on your phone / iPad / PC as well.

LisaF

Postby LisaF » 18 Jun 2011, 22:40

Hello Stuart - FYI - by default I have discovered that the login on the new page is not working or at least I have not managed it - need to go into forum for the login link. New site looks good and looking forward to online shopping!!
Cheers Lisa

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Jun 2011, 12:35

Hello Stuart - FYI - by default I have discovered that the login on the new page is not working or at least I have not managed it - need to go into forum for the login link. New site looks good and looking forward to online shopping!! Cheers Lisa
Lisa - while not obvious, the login on the homepage is not related to the forum login in any way. The 'members' login on the homepage will be restricted to paid up club members and will give access to the shopping cart for club kit and other club members only information, whereas the forum is public and open to anyone who creates a username.

The members area is about 2-3 weeks away from completion and all members will receive an email to the email address provided to CA when it is ready with username and password details.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 21 Jul 2011, 21:34

Unless it is my browser settings, the 'Contact' link on the main site page does not load anything. It seems to loop. I have a mate who wants to start riding with the club and i told him to send through his details. As I recall there used to be a form to fill out. I can't find it anymore.

Cheers,

Noel

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 22 Jul 2011, 11:44

can we get the gear ratio chart put back up in the track section???

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Jul 2011, 10:13

Unless it is my browser settings, the 'Contact' link on the main site page does not load anything. It seems to loop. I have a mate who wants to start riding with the club and i told him to send through his details. As I recall there used to be a form to fill out. I can't find it anymore.

Cheers, Noel
Hi Noel - do you mean this link to the enquiry form? >> http://www.dhbc.org.au/about-dhbc/enquiry-form.html

It loads fine for me in Firefox and Chrome on my Mac, and in Firefox, Chrome & IE on Windows 7?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Jul 2011, 22:07

can we get the gear ratio chart put back up in the track section???
Yes we can - I'm waiting for the track captain to write the new sections first!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 28 Jul 2011, 23:09

Thanks Stuart, you've done a great job. Looks fresh and modern and works in all the browsers.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 24 Sep 2011, 06:56

Nozzle wrote:

Cheers, Noel

Hi Noel - do you mean this link to the enquiry form? >> http://www.dhbc.org.au/about-dhbc/enquiry-form.html

It loads fine for me in Firefox and Chrome on my Mac, and in Firefox, Chrome & IE on Windows 7?
No, I refer to the hyperlink on the bottom of the homepage called 'Contact'. I think it used to forward you to a similar enquiry form for those wishing to join.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Sep 2011, 20:07

OK - got it. I'll fix that soonish.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 03 Apr 2012, 20:05

The server is still on Daylight savings time.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Apr 2012, 20:13

The server is still on Daylight savings time.
You need to change your own settings in User Control Panel / Board Preferences

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 05 Apr 2012, 22:35

That just seems wrong. Anyway, fixed now - many thanks.

Return to “Conversation”