Good Laptop Bags

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Toff

Postby Toff » 11 May 2011, 13:21

So this week, we bought three nice shiny new laptops for the business. As I occasionally commute up to 60km a day, I requested that I get a suitable backpack for hauling my laptop on days I will be riding. I requested lots of padding to ensure my new machine is approriately protected.

Then my business partner hands me my bag yesterday morning. It's big and amply padded, with room for everything I need to carry, but it's very black. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be silly to ride with it on, as it would make me far less visible to traffic coming up from behind.

I went into the local faceless big impersonal computer retailler today, and they had plently of backpacks, in all sorts of sizes and configurations, as long as you chose black. No other colours on offer... As a rule, I don't carry a dark backpack, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a nice bright backpack, preferably white, which is suitable for carrying a 38cm laptop on my occasional commute.

I know I can stitch on some reflective strips, and I haven't entirely ruld that out. I have ruled out riding with an oversized fluoro vest over myself and my bag flapping in the wind... My preference is to find a light coloured bag somewhere before exploring some of these other more bizarre solutions.

Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks. :D

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 11 May 2011, 14:18

i really want one of these!
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home
And they have a goo variety of hi vis stuff and bags especially for laptops.

Richard

Postby Richard » 11 May 2011, 14:46

I commute every day with an Ortleib Messenger Bag in bright yellow. Love it. Totally waterproof. Never leaks. Essentially a big dumb waterproof bag in bright yellow.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-couriermessenger-bag/

Simone uses the smaller version also in yellow.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-velocity-rucksack/

Ortleib also make a padded laptop insert.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-noteboo ... -154-inch/

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 May 2011, 16:50

There are high vis elasticised rain covers that go over backpacks.
Crumpler have very colourful and extremely well padded, and durable laptop bags.
Use a good quality padded laptop sleeve and throw it into any suitable bag. Most flexible solution of all least obvious to potential thieves.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 11 May 2011, 18:57

What Weiyun said. I've got a crumpler messenger bag and carry my notebook around in it all the time, including on the bike. And you can create your own, hip design at the Newtown store, but it'll cost you.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 May 2011, 19:24

What Weiyun said. I've got a crumpler messenger bag and carry my notebook around in it all the time, including on the bike. And you can create your own, hip design at the Newtown store, but it'll cost you.
I understand they no longer do custom designs, but just have pre-made unique designs on the Barney Rustle with a hefty premium.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 May 2011, 21:06

Toff, I'm gathering you are carrying a payload similar to me. You need a bag that has good structure, in particular the straps. If this bag you have been handed is of appropriate integrity, then I'd go with increasing the visibility as per weiyun's suggestion or some other solution.

Richard

Postby Richard » 12 May 2011, 11:44

Toff
You are welcome to see the Ortleib bag anytime. Its the same one used by the couriers in the city. Mate of mine is a city bike courier and he recommended them.

Best thing is that is bright yellow and it's totally waterproof. Very useful when caught out with the laptop on the back.

Return to “Conversation”