geoffs

Postby geoffs » 26 Feb 2011, 11:36

have a look at the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ggFFZSjWFU

on my way to newtown police to let them have a look

Geoff

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Feb 2011, 12:00

:S i guess at least he did it slowly. I hope the police do some thing though.

Ive been a witness for a guy who slapped the guys window like that after they ran him off the road (the window slap was at the bus stop you just went past in this video), the guy then got out and pushed him over, broke his wrist, not sure what happened next, im guessing charges for assault etc

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 26 Feb 2011, 12:37

:S i guess at least he did it slowly. I hope the police do some thing though.

Ive been a witness for a guy who slapped the guys window like that after they ran him off the road (the window slap was at the bus stop you just went past in this video), the guy then got out and pushed him over, broke his wrist, not sure what happened next, im guessing charges for assault etc
It might have looked slow on film, but he almost got me when he swung into the middle of us.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 26 Feb 2011, 17:43

Have been to the police. When they eventually found a PC with enough processing power to play the video, they said that the driver will be charged with changing lanes in an unsafe manner and crossing the double lines in Wilson St.
Apparently the video is a lot clearer than what they have in the patrol cars and they would have no trouble identifying the culprut.
Next time though I'll take a notebook down to view the video on.
Witness's may be required if the moron is stupid enough to contest it.

Cheers

Geoff

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Feb 2011, 18:55

Good one Geoff! The video is even good enough on YouTube to read the plate. Keep us posted on the progress. To ensure success, we should be sensible in what we post in this thread and elsewhere on the board over this incident.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 26 Feb 2011, 19:52

Witness's may be required if the moron is stupid enough to contest it.
I'd be happy to give a witness statement.

Apparently "paying taxes" means you don't have to obey the road rules...

timyone

Postby timyone » 27 Feb 2011, 09:03

far out nice!!!! umm i dont know if thats the right responce to the whole thing, but its good to hear some good news!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 27 Feb 2011, 16:39

I've given my statement. Constable Martin is like no other policeman I have met. Not one spelling mistake, impeccable punctuation, not a hint of the Present Perfect Tense and.... he could touch type!

SuzieSpiro

Postby SuzieSpiro » 27 Feb 2011, 19:36

Yikes! I obviously missed all the excitement on Saturday (well, if you could call it that).. Glad to hear everyone is OK, if perhaps a little shaken. Excellent video, Geoff - I now know how useful "helmet-cam" can be. Good that everyone kept their cool, that's the best way to get a successful result. Very interesting how his reaction changed once he knew he had been filmed....

rhys

Postby rhys » 27 Feb 2011, 21:07

I encounter morons like this every day on my commute, and it's only 5kms long! I have taken to using the 'tree-root' paths instead now, because even though it adds 10 minutes to my ride, at least I get there.
How do you change the whole of society's perception?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Feb 2011, 05:30

and here is a very apt article from today's SMH

CYCLISTS have found a new weapon in their battle to stay safe on the roads - the video camera. They are mounting the tiny cameras to their helmets or handlebars to film accidents or near misses. Police say they are willing to use the footage as evidence. "On average there are three injuries a day for pedal cyclists in NSW, the RTA says, citing the most recent figures, from 2009".

Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Feb 2011, 05:36

and here is a very apt article from today's SMH
And what was Omar on about? BNSW has lost its way!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Feb 2011, 08:55

And what was Omar on about? BNSW has lost its way!
Totally agree Weiyun ... BNSW is really a very feeble lobbying organisation. I'm still a member but only for the insurance as it really doesn't stand up for cyclists rights at all. In fact, I'll be emailing them today about these comments.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Feb 2011, 09:31

Totally agree Weiyun ... BNSW is really a very feeble lobbying organisation. I'm still a member but only for the insurance as it really doesn't stand up for cyclists rights at all. In fact, I'll be emailing them today about these comments.
The only doubt I had there was that he was quoted out of context, one that news reporters are good at. I think it would be wise for BNSW to put out a statement on this to explain. Otherwise I don't know who Omar is and I think Alex would have responded far better.

Richard

Postby Richard » 01 Mar 2011, 12:49

The most shocking cyclist v car video is in today's herald

http://media.smh.com.au/national/select ... om=newsbox

Warning - It's sickening

timyone

Postby timyone » 01 Mar 2011, 14:13

oh ok, the Omar guy is talking about not putting all your cars are bad videos up on youtube, because he wants people to get on bikes, and not be freaked out of it.

Far out that second video sux!

patn

Postby patn » 02 Mar 2011, 07:46

That video is horrible. Did that happen recently? I hope no-one was injured too seriously.

I agree Tim. And there's lots of work to be done on both 'sides'. I don't bunch ride on the road, but I do regularly commute (Bondi Junction - Sydney Uni etc). You only have to drive down Cleveland St, Moore Park Rd etc for two minutes to see (usually commuting) cyclists doing ridiculous, dangerous, and frustrating stuff on the road. We need to all (drivers AND cyclists) be more patient, more thoughtful, and more sharing on the road. That link from mcrkennedy ( http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/10/cycliquette/ ) is right on I think.

Return to “Conversation”