What would you pay for a C'dale R5000 Compact Drive (2005)?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Joe

Postby Joe » 21 Nov 2010, 14:59

Greetings fellow club members,

I have the opportunity to buy the bike mentioned above and I'm wondering what would be a fair price. I have a rough idea but this bike is a bit of a step up from my 2007 LeMond Etape so I'm not overly familiar with the equipment. The guy selling it doesn't have any real idea. He bought it for coffee runs, not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

Relevant details are below.

The bike is kind of stock – http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Pr ... pact-Drive

BUT with these differences:

The cranks and front chain wheels are Dura Ace
Forks are Look HSC5 SL
Seat post is U.S.E. Alien Aluminium
Stem is 3T Less XL
Pedals are Look Keo

The bike was apparently ridden for about a year and then sold to the current owner 4 years ago. He has ridden it twice to the coffee shop...

The big chain wheel at the front has 2 or 3 teeth missing significant parts of their tops (must have been a tough first year of its life!) I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced.

And the nut/cap on the non-handle side of the front skewer has gone missing, so I'll need to replace that or get a new skewer... not a biggie but negotiation material all the same!

The frame and forks seem to be in very good condition.

It measures 54cm centre of crank to centre of intersection with top tube. My LeMond is a 55 with less aggressive geometry (sloping top tube and shorter stem) but I think this bike could work for me (mainly Waterfall rides at the mo). Thoughts? (he asks dangerously...)

Anyway given the parts that need to be replaced etc what do you reckon would be a fair price?

Your wise and experienced feedback is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Nov 2010, 18:36

so its all durace? if the teeth are gone youll probably need a new chain, back cluster and both front chain rings. (lol sorry thats all i have to add :D)

Joe

Postby Joe » 21 Nov 2010, 20:49

Hmmm... Yeah good point... Stinko... :(

christian

Postby christian » 21 Nov 2010, 21:43

Do you know what it was worth new? I'd be asking why the fork was changed, the slice forks were pretty good, maybe it was crashed bad enough to crack the fork. The missing teeth just means new chain rings, chains and cassettes wear out anyway, as do chain rings. The missing teeth doesn't mean the chain is trashed or the cassette, but unless you know the history or know what you are looking at when it comes to these parts then if you assume you'll be replacing them in the next 12 months you can use this info to get the price down.

Joe

Postby Joe » 21 Nov 2010, 21:47

Yeah it's all Dura-Ace 7800.

Joe

Postby Joe » 21 Nov 2010, 21:58

Thanks for the feedback Christian. I'll see if the current owner was told anything by the original owner about the forks. I would have preferred the original forks. I wonder if he rooted the original cranks too! :roll:

othy

Postby othy » 23 Nov 2010, 15:54

Do you know what it was worth new? I'd be asking why the fork was changed, the slice forks were pretty good, maybe it was crashed bad enough to crack the fork. The missing teeth just means new chain rings, chains and cassettes wear out anyway, as do chain rings. The missing teeth doesn't mean the chain is trashed or the cassette, but unless you know the history or know what you are looking at when it comes to these parts then if you assume you'll be replacing them in the next 12 months you can use this info to get the price down.
Slice forks are heavy. Perhaps for a dura ace equiped bike of that age, it would make sense to swap for the Look forks as an upgrade, which were pretty light at the time?

Joe

Postby Joe » 23 Nov 2010, 16:51

Slice forks are heavy. Perhaps for a dura ace equiped bike of that age, it would make sense to swap for the Look forks as an upgrade, which were pretty light at the time?
Yeah could be. I've had no luck finding out how much it went for originally but I know that the guy selling it now (he bought it 2nd hand) paid $3,500 in 2007 when it was 1-2 years old. He said he would sell it to me for about $1000.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Nov 2010, 19:04

The price he paid for it is irrelevant, prices and componentary have changed considerably since 2005

The reality is that the bike is 5 years old, even if it is in great nick, its not the same quality as a new bike with a similar specification. Have a look for a similar quality bike that's new of similar quality, for example 2005 Durace may be equivalent to 2010 Ultegra or even 105. Once you have worked out the new price, divide it by 1/3 and you probably have a rough guide to its value.

Joe

Postby Joe » 23 Nov 2010, 19:26

The price he paid for it is irrelevant, prices and componentary have changed considerably since 2005

The reality is that the bike is 5 years old, even if it is in great nick, its not the same quality as a new bike with a similar specification. Have a look for a similar quality bike that's new of similar quality, for example 2005 Durace may be equivalent to 2010 Ultegra or even 105. Once you have worked out the new price, divide it by 1/3 and you probably have a rough guide to its value.
Haha! Finally someone with a price estimate, or at least a price formula estimate. :lol: Thanks Mike. Based on a new CAAD 10 3 with Ultegra the result of your formula is about $1000. So given the stuff that needs to be repaired/replaced it's going to be a bit under that. All good!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Nov 2010, 19:57

Also, what does your heart say Joe?

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Nov 2010, 21:56

check out what it will cost you for the stuff on pbk or what ever first so you can quote it and use it in bargaining.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 23 Nov 2010, 22:11

If it didn't need the parts replaced (chainring, etc.) $1000 would be a pretty good price. The Look forks would have saved 100g, so they can be considered an upgrade.

You're looking at $120 for a new Dura Ace large chainring, but on the other hand Pedals are included.... so i'd say maybe try for $900.

I recently helped a friend get a Caad 9 Cannondale with Dura Ace for $1400, but it was unused and no one else bid on ebay.

Joe

Postby Joe » 24 Nov 2010, 09:13

Thanks heaps guys, I think I've got it sorted in my head now. I think this guy just wants to get rid of it so I think I'll offer $800, given the repairs needed.

Return to “Conversation”