Tassie 2010 edition

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
christian

Postby christian » 04 Jan 2010, 10:04

Its that time of the year again, time to head south for some touring fun. And while you're there you get to have a crack at the penny nationals and the century ride for the insane.

I've heard from Lindsay that this year we will be touring along the west coast, so expect some big hills.

I've had a look at airfares, and Jetstar is the cheapest, flying down on the 12th Feb back on the 21st. Has anyone had any experience with Jetstar and bikes?

G

Postby G » 04 Jan 2010, 10:29

I just flew jetstar back from Hobart to Sydney last night. You have go to their checkin counter and ask for a bike box. They charge $16.50 for a box, and also give you tape to seal it. Then they weigh it as your checkin luggage, but you submit it in oversize luggage. Just as a weight guide, my bike box that contained bike, shoes, helmet, and wedge bag was 18kg. If you are carrying clothes or rack or panniers, it quickly adds up to the weight limit.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 04 Jan 2010, 19:07

I had a look at the flights the other day. I suspect the trick is not to get the jetstar "lite", or what every they call the cheapest fare, but go for the one that's 10$ more. That allows for 20kg of checked luggage, while the "lite" fare allows for none.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 04 Jan 2010, 22:56

I'm booked with Virgin, leaving Thursday morning (friday cost too much), returning monday afternoon, $225 all up including checked baggage and credit card fee :x

The only time i went with jetstar i got done for excess baggage, as Camilla said you can get 20kg checked luggage, with Virgin you get 23kg plus an extra 5kg for sporting equipment, so 28kg total. In most cases your bike and clothing packed will be above 20kg, so if you fly jetstar, make sure you take a lot of stuff carry on.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 05 Jan 2010, 08:23

Do we book to Launceston or Hobart?

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 05 Jan 2010, 08:46

Launceston

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 05 Jan 2010, 08:53

I've been meaning to say, re the Western route Lindsay is suggesting, do people realise there is 35km of unsealed road just out of Miena on the way to Queenstown? I know, because Geoff, Marian, Lisa (who'd already cracked after a hard day in the saddle), Adrian and I went down it for 5km looking for our hotel before deciding we were morons and turning back.

It's not undoable, but we'll want extra spare tubes and, dare I say it, tyres!

The bit we did was flat but we should at least check the elevation before writing it into the programme.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Jan 2010, 10:29

Toured the west coast early last year (in a car) and there are some very fast logging trucks on not so wide hilly roads out west. Saw a few riders who got terrorised and visibly wavered after being passed. The speed on those highways combined with sharp crests, curves and darkly shaded sections leave little margin for error, so high visibility gears are a must and do take extra care.

christian

Postby christian » 05 Jan 2010, 18:55

Flights are booked, both Victoria and myself are flying down Friday morning the 12th on Virgin flight DJ1150 and coming back Sunday afternoon on the 21st on Jetstar flight JQ748. The return flight doesn't leave until 3.05pm so I may be able to ride the penny road race ths year.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 05 Jan 2010, 22:13

Hey, I'd like to know what dates the touring will be done on and what dates the racing is done on, AND if I had to choose between the two due to work/ time restrictions, which would I enjoy more?

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 05 Jan 2010, 22:30

I've booked my flights with Virgin ($79 on Thursday to Launceston at the moment)
The top floor of the Clarendon Arms Hotel in Evandale is booked from Thursday 11 until Sunday 14 and then Thursday 18 until Sunday 21.
It can accomodate about 13 people.
Cost about $25 per person per night.
Let me know if you are interested in staying any nights.

I have not booked Norfolk Cottage in Perth this year.

christian

Postby christian » 06 Jan 2010, 06:10

That $79 fair wasn't there when I looked. Victoria and myself will need to stay at the Hotel Friday and Saturday nights at the start then until we fly out on Sunday when we get back to Evandale.

orphic

Postby orphic » 06 Jan 2010, 09:28

Hey, I'd like to know what dates the touring will be done on and what dates the racing is done on, AND if I had to choose between the two due to work/ time restrictions, which would I enjoy more?
Penny Century is on Saturday 13th Feb and the road race is on Sunday 21st Feb. Lindsay told me that touring starts the day after the Century and I think returns on the Friday as the fair stuff starts happening in Evandale. That may need correction though.

I think touring would be the most fun! I'm still not sure if I will do the race.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 06 Jan 2010, 10:56

That $79 fair wasn't there when I looked.
I had that same problem, damn these specials showing up 24hrs after booking.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 07 Jan 2010, 23:42

I just booked plane tickets for Ted and myself. We're on Virgin Blue both ways: the 9.30 flight on Sat 13 down and the 3.25pm on Sun 21 return. $300 each including baggage. Not a great deal, but the best I could do given that we both need to be back for work on the Monday and refuse to fly Jetstar.

I really want to do the Clarendon Road race this year too, hence the later flight on the Sunday. I'm worried though: are we going to have enough little Penny's to go around? With Lindsay, Amy, Victoria and I there (just off the top of my head) there's going to be a lot of pressure on the 52! Can I bags a little penny for the biathalon? I'm quite keen to do that this time too.

Stretch: Ted and I would love to stay at the Clarendon Arms. So I guess that's the nights of Sat 13, Fri 19, Sat 20.

christian

Postby christian » 08 Jan 2010, 07:14

I'm not that happy about flying jetstar on the way back, but if I think I'm going to be over on the weight limit then I may have to send some stuff back with Simon or Al.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 08 Jan 2010, 10:54

My flights are booked. Friday departing virgin blue from Sydney at 9am and returning on Sunday departing Launceston at 3.25pm. I will be another body for staying at the Clarendon. Marian might come down for the week of racing but her shedule is still undecided at this stage.
Sports equipment allowance on VB is as follows:
If you are travelling with Sports Equipment, you will be eligible to check-in an extra 5kg of baggage allowance free of charge. This additional allowance is allocated above your purchased checked baggage allowance for Blue Saver or GO! Fares or above the inclusive checked baggage allowance for Velocity Gold and Silver.
You can check-in oversized baggage provided each item does not exceed 32 kg in weight. If it is heavier than 32kg, it must be shipped as Freight.

For example, if you have purchased a baggage allowance of 23kg, and are travelling with a bike, you will be eligible for a total checked baggage allowance of 28kg. If your bike weighs 10kg, you will be able to take additional checked baggage (such as a suitcase) weighing up to 18kg.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 08 Jan 2010, 11:49

Righto, ive booked my flights, leaving fri 12th at 9am and back sun 21st at 3.25pm on virgin blue.
So i will need the accomadation for the 2 wkends as well please.
The flights are going fast and i will be very annoyed if the cheapie $79 flights come back...........

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 08 Jan 2010, 12:02

I think you did the right thing Amy. I just checked, and the exact same flights I booked last night would now cost me $50 more.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 10 Jan 2010, 11:09

Check your accommodation dates here http://www.ozcan.com.au/files/TASSIE%202010.htm

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 10 Jan 2010, 22:14

Hi Stretch,

Simon and I are also coming. I arrive on the Saturday and will need accommodation for then plus am leaving on Sunday the following weekend so please count me in. I'm not sure when Simon is arriving yet but is leaving with me on Sunday the 21st.

Excellent organising :)

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 12 Jan 2010, 08:39

I've had an email exchange with Di Sullivan over the past 2 days and she tells me numbers are a bit low for some of the races this year, such as the Novice Race. It occurs to me that people probably haven't put their entrance forms in yet. Just Amy, Jessica & Vic will probably double the entries for the Ladies Championship alone! From memory we had a start line of 6 last year.

So, get your forms in! It would be a great help for Di so that she can organize things

download here: http://www.evandalevillagefair.com/
and email to Di: info@evandalevillagefair.com

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 12 Jan 2010, 08:55

no way ........ theres a miss n out race!!!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 12 Jan 2010, 09:10

Does anyone know if Huw and Selga are coming this year? Not only does Huw need to defend his title, but I need him to sit behind in a headwind!

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 14 Jan 2010, 13:54

I've had a peek at some of the possible routes for the West Coast 6 day tour 8) (Sunday 14 - Friday 18 ) which TBone should finalise soon.
While I'd love to do it, I'm not going to be fit enough (after the Century Ride).

Is anyone interested in doing the softer option with me?
I'm thinking of just riding around the North-East including the Tamar Valley area.
Shorter riding days 3-5 hrs (more time at wineries/pubs ;-) . . . James says "ride faster".

http://www.discovertasmania.com/__data/ ... ingMap.pdf

christian

Postby christian » 14 Jan 2010, 14:17

You could always not ride the century. I'm still undecided about that one, not sure my arse can take it again.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 18 Jan 2010, 21:45

Well, i was told that people wanted to tour on the west coast his year, so this is the route i've come up with. Hills are unavoidable, and there's not much around on one of the days.

Day 1- Evandale to Gowrie Park
via Sheffield
via Mole Creek One Climb, but benefit of honey stop.

Day 2 - Gowrie Park to Strahan

Day 3 - Strahan to Derwent Bridge

Day 4 - Derwent Bridge to Hamilton

Day 5 - Hamilton to Evandale option to stay at Ross and ride on the friday.

Let me know what you think. It's a tough route, but there's not many options on the west coast.

christian

Postby christian » 19 Jan 2010, 07:50

That is definitely a tough tour. I'm not sure that everyone that is coming is going to be capable of that. I wouldn't mind doing a detour to cradle mountain, but that would be on day 2 and its already pretty long.

orphic

Postby orphic » 19 Jan 2010, 08:09

My legs are hurting already, and I'm too scared to check the elevation profile. Which makes me ask the question - if you blow up on tour (like injury wise) what are the options for getting out of there?

Also, Stretch - can you please count me in for accommodation. Same days as Christian is down for.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jan 2010, 08:29

I have driven most of those routes, going West from Hobart to Strahan, onto Cradle Mtn and back to Launceston just last year. As previously mentioned, the roads aren't that wide and there are some fast logging trucks. The section before hitting Franklin NP is fine in terms of contour but after that, there are lots of ups and downs and serious ups and downs. The practical bail out option is getting a lift from a passing motorist/truckie and the touring cyclists I came past all seemed to be well prepared to set up camp along the way. Don't forget cold weather gears either as the temperature range there can be absolutely dramatic even in mid Jan.

The sceneries are spectacular though.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 19 Jan 2010, 12:43

If it's a tough tour for Christian, I hate to think what it would be for me. And indeed so remote in case of meltdown. Stretch: I'm liking your option.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 19 Jan 2010, 12:47

Although I had consulted MapMyRide to understand the full horror of the Western Tiers (between Tunbridge and Miena). I was horrified, so I'm glad not to see that on the proposed route.

orphic

Postby orphic » 19 Jan 2010, 12:54

The problem with having a soft and hard option is that I might stupidly go with the hard option and kill myself. Ofcourse I guess I don't really need to worry, as it won't be me who is peeling my limp body off the pavement 8)

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 19 Jan 2010, 13:24

Can I be the bringer of evil dissent: why don't we scotch current plans and go for the middle ground, so that we can all ride together? (Sorry T-Bone, I know the trouble you've already gone to). It just occurs to me that of the group going, at least half are not going to be thrilled with the hills. It's going to be a genuine struggle, and with no easy emergency-out options, it might become a real problem. I for one love a good climb, but the idea of those logging trucks puts even me way off.

The Western route was an idea born from the fact people were getting sick of other parts of Tassie and wanted something new. I'm not sure that holds true anymore. Apart from James, Lindsay, Christian (?) and Stretch (who has already flagged his intent not to join us) the rest of us are newbies or near-newbies. And even if Simon is up to it, big hills are the last thing a healing collar-bone needs.

I hate to ruin people's fun. I'm just not convinced we'd all be having much on the west coast. That said, I'm happy to go along with the majority opinion.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 19 Jan 2010, 13:39

My legs are hurting already, and I'm too scared to check the elevation profile. Which makes me ask the question - if you blow up on tour (like injury wise) what are the options for getting out of there?
This is a good question... If you blow up on tour the first port of safety is the buses (there's no trains across Tassie). I would suggest getting to the nearest town, find some accommodation & plan a route back to where you started. It's not just knees that go south, I got crook in the guts 2 years ago and nearly had to call it quits. Public transport across Australia isn't as easy as my other touring destination SEAsia however everywhere is usually served by a bus at least once a day. Also weather can tour sour, especially high country.

In a broader sense as a lover of bicycle touring I believe it to be a discipline of cycling as significant as any other (track, road, BMX etc) and deserves the right amount of thought & planning. Having a plan B is important & just because it's a group doesn't mean you don't get a say.

Correct set up of a touring bike is essential because your grinding away on everything for hour after hour & if it's wrong it will blow up.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 19 Jan 2010, 13:43

Hey Lindsay, do you have any suggestions about spare-parts that would be good to take away on such a tour. I have acquired some spokes, a brake cable and a cable for gears, as well as a (foldable) spare tyre. But I run 23mm slick tyres on the flat-bar I'd be thinking of taking away. Should I go for something more robust?

christian

Postby christian » 19 Jan 2010, 13:45

I agree with Camilla here, I'm not sure all of us will find this route enjoyable. Its some long days with some big hills. Is everyone on the tour capable of doing a 160km+ day then backing up the next day?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 19 Jan 2010, 13:56

I'm hoping to be back on he bike by then or if i is not possible, me & Jess plan to have a non cycling holiday.

But if my plan goes ahead, I don't really want to do any massive km's. I was thinking of capping it at about 100mks max a day, with lots of non cycling activities instead. Our touring over the past few years has turned more into riding/training/sight seeing than doing anything off the bike & with my collarbone not at 100% I would rather do more fun things....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jan 2010, 14:24

Sounds like you guys can all chip in for a support van and Simon/Jess can drive and sweep (or everyone taking turns driving). The sceneries are too spectacular to not do it! :lol:

Also, mobile coverage in that area is poor and only Telstra covers the townships. Given all the various factors, it would be a good idea to maintain visual contact along the way. Taking the wrong turn-off or running off the road can be a real bugger for everyone. One can truly vanish in the thick growths along the roads, let alone some of the drops.

orphic

Postby orphic » 19 Jan 2010, 14:32

It's possible that I could be capable of it once I have addressed my bike setup and now that I am a bit more psychologically prepared for touring after the weekends activities. But it would involve less fun. I think I would have to make sure I was on the bike by 6am, which would mean very early to bed and I wouldn't be able to drink any beer. It would turn into training, not touring.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jan 2010, 14:43

That is definitely a tough tour. I'm not sure that everyone that is coming is going to be capable of that. I wouldn't mind doing a detour to cradle mountain, but that would be on day 2 and its already pretty long.
If you want to go to Cradle Mtn, try to enter and exit via the north where the landscape is flatter. The shortest route to Launceston via C138 and C171 has some major climbs through state forests. Spectacular again but will hit your legs hard. Land flattens again on B12.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Jan 2010, 17:29

Can I be the bringer of evil dissent: why don't we scotch current plans and go for the middle ground, so that we can all ride together? (Sorry T-Bone, I know the trouble you've already gone to). It just occurs to me that of the group going, at least half are not going to be thrilled with the hills. It's going to be a genuine struggle, and with no easy emergency-out options, it might become a real problem.
I'm sooo jealous guys, wish I so was going - maybe next year. Camilla is right again.....See red wine does work!!

Sounds like 160km a day (with limited exit plans) is a big stretch for some of the people riding. What ever you decide...the middle ground sounds like more fun, and would be less stressfull by not of having to rescue those that can't keep up. Send heaps of snaps, be dying to see them all.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 19 Jan 2010, 18:53

Just to clarify... Simon and I will not be taking any car of any sort, If Simon can't ride, then he won't be driving, and I really dislike driving. If we have the non cycling holiday, we will be bushwalking and relaxing.

As Simon mentioned, we are dreaming of a shorter course with more sight seeing and overall enjoyment.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 19 Jan 2010, 19:17

I just heard from Huw and he is keen to ride the tour and race again this year. He reckons he's put on weight LOL

I'm still keen on riding 65-100km days . . .maybe the wine route?

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 19 Jan 2010, 19:36

Ok, I have an idea...

I'd love to make this a camping cycling adventure. Simon and I are aware that Huw will be camping on his way down to Tasmania, what if we do a National Parks adventure and make this tour a journey to remember, away from the cities!

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=236

Looking at this map, we could travel the East-Coast via the parks. We have 5 nights I understand. What if we ride from Launceston to Mt William NP, Ben Lomond NP, Douglas Apsley NP, and Freycinet NP - have a look at the map, they could be in any order we like. I'm not even sure how many k's they are apart, it just looks entising :D

What do you think???

christian

Postby christian » 19 Jan 2010, 20:18

You're not suggesting we camp are you?

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 19 Jan 2010, 20:23

Well I'm having enough trouble riding around bright and some of the hills here. I will not be doing the west coast option even with Lindsay "The Machine" on the back of the tandem. An easier route would be preferable along the lines of camilla's suggestion.
I will be flying down on the thursday morning and so will need accommodation for the thursday night please stretch.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 19 Jan 2010, 20:40

Please check the accommodation link for the hotel in Evandale to make sure I've got your days right. The Saturdays are getting close to the max.

http://www.ozcan.com.au/files/TASSIE%202010.htm

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 19 Jan 2010, 21:16

That's the correct nights for me stretch.
Marian is still unable to confirm so she might be on the couch

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Jan 2010, 21:31

Well, i expected this response to the route, but i decided to put it up there anyway, as i had been told that some people wanted to do the west coast. The hills really aren't too much different to the rest of Tassie in my opinion.... but there is lots of areas with nothing around which brings problems.

I'm not camping as i don't think i have the spare money to buy a tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc, though maybe 2011 might be good for this.

What i'm thinking at the moment is maybe a tour of the North West might be the best idea. I can include a Cradle Mountain detour if wanted, though that will extend the day by 20km, so would be optional, also taking that road means a bit longer day than ideal is unavoidable. Anyway, let me know when it's up.

Huw

Postby Huw » 19 Jan 2010, 22:14

Greetings!

Just a quick note to let y'all know I'm planning on heading to Tassie again this year, and am looking up to catching up with my true cycling family once again. I was unsure about whether I'd make it this year, but the prospect of missing out on the Tassie experience was too much for me!

I'm considering riding down to Tassie again this year, perhaps taking a coastal route. I'm currently unemployed and pretty much broke, so will be bringing my tent. Just wanted to put it out there - a riding buddy or three would be great, and there should be some great camping spots along the coast.

I don't currently have internet at home, but I'll endeavour to check this thread frequently. Please write and let me know if you're interested in meeting me in Canberra (where I now live) or anywhere else for what should be another unforgettable ride to Tassie.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 20 Jan 2010, 06:27

Nice to hear from you Huw. I still can't accept your not a DHBC'r anymore!! Have fun in Tassie...Good luck defending your title for National Penny Farthing Champion!!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 20 Jan 2010, 07:33

The Northwest with a Cradle Mountain option sounds fantastic T-Bone. I'm all for it.

Huw! Fantastic that you're coming! Is Selga able to get away too? Did I read somewhere you'd put on weight - oh the drafting possibilities!

No camping for me thanks. I'm not against it in principal, just not this time.

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 Jan 2010, 07:47

I like the sound of the Northwest route.

I would be interested in camping, but not at such short notice. If I was going to be carrying a tent and all that gear I would want to look into getting a bob trailer, and like James I can't really afford to do that at the moment.

I look forward to getting a good tow from Hue, fixie century style ;)

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 Jan 2010, 10:42

In regards to weather conditions - what degree of warmth will be required for on the bike beyond the normal arm/leg warmers? I don't have any kind of wet weather gear at the moment. Based on previous touring experiences will it be necessary?

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 20 Jan 2010, 11:25

I'd reckon that some serious cold and wet weather gear would be essential. Weather in Tassie can always get a bit nasty, and there was a story in yesterday's paper from meteorologists who reckon that southern Australia is likely to be significant cooler and wetter than normal for the next 3 months (Sydney is likely to be slightly warmer over the same period). Something to do with El Nino/La Nina etc.

I'm very happy to hear that you're coming touring, Huw. I have fond memories of that little Southern Highlands tour we did (my first and only experience of touring, but enough to whet the appetite for more).

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Jan 2010, 12:34

This is what i've come up with:

Day 1 - Evandale to Gowrie Park (same as before)

Day 2 - Gowrie Park to Burnie
via Cradle Mountain
via Alternate Route

Day 3 - Burnie to Devonport (stopping in Railton for a beer, and then chocolate near Latrobe)

Day 4 - Devonport to George Town

Day 5 - George Town to Evandale

I put in an option for not going to Cradle Mountain as i'm sure there's some that won't want to ride 155km, or even the 135km by skipping the out and back bit. Also a warning, the climb at the start of the day (cradle mountain route) will be one of the hardest you're likely to ride, and according to this SITE 11.5% average gradient for 5.2km, but of course the majority of the day will be downhill after this.

christian

Postby christian » 20 Jan 2010, 12:46

On day 4 we could take the ferry from Beauty Point to George Town, that way there is less back tracking the next day. And we get to go on a boat ride. We'll just have to see if there is a ferry that will take our bikes, I'll investigate this.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Jan 2010, 12:59

Yeah, i thought about the Ferry, it's the shuttlefish ferry. I just couldn't get onto the website last night or find enough info elsewhere.

Here's some info http://australia.shopsafe.com.au/tour/h ... _point.htm

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 20 Jan 2010, 13:07

Looks like a much better route, for me at least: more towns, more water to ride next to, more mobile phone coverage, with fewer kms, fewer big hills, and fewer logging trucks. And the hard-core types can take off up Cradle Mountain on Day 2, which ought to take a bit of lead out of their pencils. Nice work T-Bone.

christian

Postby christian » 20 Jan 2010, 13:09

The ferry no longer exists. Both the numbers were disconnected so I called the tourist park and asked them. Looks like we will have to ride.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Jan 2010, 13:43

I'm obviously not coming on this ride but if you bothered to ride out to Cradle Mt, wouldn't you want to then spend some time going for a walk out to the mountain itself? Meaning you'd need to stay the night as the walk there and back is about 4 hours I seem to recall. Or at least pop up to Marion's Lookout for the great view - I don't recall it being that hard in 1977!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Jan 2010, 14:18

The lake walk is flat and is very pleasant while Marion's Lookout is somewhat more challenging, but nowhere close to going up to Cradle Mtn Summit. The lake loop walk can be completed in 2 hours at a good pace. ;)

IIRC, there are budget accommodations in the next township outside of the Cradle Mtn NP, including hostels. Otherwise Cradle Mountain Lodge is the only one within the park and is very nice at a price.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Jan 2010, 15:18

I've been walking there in the past, plus the only real way we could do it is if we camped, and that's not happening this year. Closest place i found for cheap (non camping) accomodation is Gowrie Park, which is where i've got us staying the night before.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 20 Jan 2010, 15:30

That new route looks good T-bone. Can't wait for the Cradle Mountain ride. It'll be interesting to compare it to the one we did on Saturday out of Kangaroo Valley, which Miguel's Garmin told us was an average of 12%. I'm not sure how many kms though. About 100.

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 Jan 2010, 15:44

The stats for the climbs we did on the weekend are here Camilla:

From Bomaderry - http://www.cycle2max.com.au/bike-hill-c ... spx?id=785

Out of Kangaroo Valley - http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=181

We might have hit some 12% spots but the average was still a good deal less than the average of the Tassie climb we'll be encountering. Hmmmm, fun times ahead.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 20 Jan 2010, 16:03

Now I'm a bit scared.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 20 Jan 2010, 17:10

Now I'm a bit scared.
You'll kill it Cam, you always do (especially after the red wine) ....there will be a train of drafters behind you.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 21 Jan 2010, 08:00

In regards to weather conditions - what degree of warmth will be required for on the bike beyond the normal arm/leg warmers? I don't have any kind of wet weather gear at the moment. Based on previous touring experiences will it be necessary?
I was in Tassie one Christmas when it snowed and they opened the ski fields.

I still feel daunted by the new course (after last years physical collapse) but I think it's achievable.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 22 Jan 2010, 12:38

If everyones happy with the "North-West" tour, I'll book the top floor of the hotel for Thursday night as well.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 27 Jan 2010, 22:08

he northwest route looks great to me.
Thanks for the work T-bone.
Not long to go now!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 28 Jan 2010, 21:30

I was thinking it may be time to start organising accommodation for touring, any ideas for Burnie and Devonport???

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 29 Jan 2010, 07:53

Have a look here:
http://www.burnie.net/html/981_1964.htm
Among other places, there's a caravan park with cabins listed. Mmm pig and onion.

There's a whole range of hostels and caravan parks listed on the Devonport site too
http://www.devonporttasmania.travel/index.html

It all looks very pretty. I'm getting excited!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 29 Jan 2010, 14:46

Would it be too late to jump into this tour do you think?

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 29 Jan 2010, 21:14

Hi EMT,

not too late... if you are keen we can have a chat this weekend,

Cheers, Lindsay

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 30 Jan 2010, 09:30

Thanks Lindsay

I'll try and catch you on sunday ride (weather permitting I guess).

I don't want to make life difficult for anyone by trying to join late. It's been hard to lock in my annual leave, and sort out some bike logistics but I reckon I've mostly got that sorted now.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 30 Jan 2010, 11:39

Would it be too late to jump into this tour do you think?
There's still room for one more, staying at the hotel in Evandale, on the Friday and Saturday nights. (even more space on the other nights :)
Just let me know if you need it. Cost should be around $25/night.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 01 Feb 2010, 20:53

Excellent. Thanks Stretch.

Count me in then for
Saturday 13th
Thursday 18th
Friday 19th
Saturday 20th

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 01 Feb 2010, 22:25

Hey all me & Jess will not be touring this year as the doctor has told not to ride a bike till at least the 6 week mark which is after our return.

We are planning to head down to Coles bay to camp, hike & swim whilst my collarbone heals. I hear they have the 7th most beautiful beach in the world!!!

Huw

Postby Huw » 01 Feb 2010, 22:33

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to add a quick note about my plans for getting to Tassie. I'll be leaving Canberra on Wed (3rd), and riding to Melbourne (arriving afternoon of the 10th). Basic route is:
Day 1 (Wed 3rd Feb):Canberra-Nimmitabel
Day 2:Nimmitabel(NSW)-Chandlers Creek(VIC)
Day 3:Chandlers Creek-Cape Conran Coastal Park
Day 4:Cape Conran-Bairnsdale (taking the East Gippsland Rail Trail which we missed last year)
Day 5:Bairnsdale-Yarram area
Day 6:Yarram-ish-Venus Bay
Day 7:Venus Bay-Phillip Island (relative's winery)
Day 8: morning ferry from Phillip Island to Stony Creek Wharf-Melbourne (staying in a backpackers in Southbank)
Day 9: Ferry Melbourne-Devonport
Day 10 (Fri 12th Feb): Devonport-Evandale (I'm going back for more of that fried chocolate cake...)
Accomodation is my small green tent.

I have to catch the day ferry to Devonport on 11th because they've stopped running the cheap overnight Ocean Recliner seats during the week :(. I'll camp somewhere just outside of Devonport before heading on to Evandale on the 12th.

If anyone happens to be passing through Melbourne, Devonport etc, and would like to catch up, please SMS me - will be craving company by that stage.

Really looking forward to catching up with you all soon. See you in Tassie!!

Huw

Postby Huw » 01 Feb 2010, 22:36

Hey all me & Jess will not be touring this year as the doctor has told not to ride a bike till at least the 6 week mark which is after our return.

We are planning to head down to Coles bay to camp, hike & swim whilst my collarbone heals. I hear they have the 7th most beautiful beach in the world!!!
That sucks. Then again, will it?
Sorry you both won't be joining us en tour (oh, that's just a little French - it means "on tour" :)).

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 01 Feb 2010, 22:43

That sucks. Then again, will it?
Sorry you both won't be joining us en tour (oh, that's just a little French - it means "on tour" :)).
I think it will be my first non cycling holiday in a long time. I'm looking forward to it. It will be good to relax & rest up for the long year ahead!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 01 Feb 2010, 22:44

If anyone happens to be passing through Melbourne, Devonport etc, and would like to catch up, please SMS me - will be craving company by that stage.
I think Al may be on the Ferry that day, or could be the wednesday, i do recall something about the day ferry, so give him a call.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 02 Feb 2010, 06:26

Yes, I bumped into Al and I'm pretty sure he's catching the ferry on the 11th; I remember him saying that he usually takes the night ferry, but not this year. Looks like a lovely route you've planned, Canberra to Melbourne.

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 02 Feb 2010, 07:03

The walk over to wineglass bay & down to the beach is beautiful in the morning. The caravan park at Coles bay is adequate, though you may be camping camping rather than caravan park camping. Some of the stuff (food & accomm) is getting really expensive because of the growing reputation of the place. You can hire a kayak there but I believe they stick to the sheltered bay and don't go around to wineglass.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 02 Feb 2010, 18:43

Wineglass Bay looks like it's going to be utterly spectacular, I can't wait!

I am a little nervous about the cold though...

I guess I won't need to bring a bike anymore, but I am entered to race the pennies. As Tassie should be, all about the pennies :)

I look forward to seeing you all there. I'm super excited!!!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 03 Feb 2010, 22:08

I'll try and get some of the accommodation booked tomorrow night.

Just to confirm, we've got 11 people touring.

So far, what i've found will be $30pp at Gowrie Park staying in cabins, could be $24pp (depending on bed layout in cabins and if anyone is bed sharing). Other option is backpackers for $15 + $6 linen hire, though cooking facilities are probably easier with the cabins. I also found a different price of $20 for backpackers listed elsewhere?? http://www.weindorfers.com.au/index.htm

Burnie, couldn't find too many choices, the caravan, cabin, motel park hybrid seems like the best at $37pp. http://www.burniebeachaccommodation.com.au/

Devonport i'm still working on (where did we stay last time Lindsay??). Possibility is the Tasman Backpackers. http://www.tasmanbackpackers.com.au/rooms.html

For George Town, there's cabins just a few kms away (2-3), seems like it would cost around $34-35pp. http://www.lowheadtouristpark.com.au/index.php

If anyone has some spare time to make some bookings/enquiries, or know of anywhere better to stay, please do as i won't have a chance to do anything until tomorrow evening. We won't need to cook every night, but i'm leaving the options open, and motels seem to expensive, and pubs would require multiple phone calls.

williamd

Postby williamd » 04 Feb 2010, 16:27

I am flying down to Tassie.

Staying in Perth.
If anyone needs accomodation there is room for one.

micklan

Postby micklan » 04 Feb 2010, 18:44

I am flying down to Tassie.

Staying in Perth.
Bill you need to go to Launceston not Perth :lol:

I'm going in 2011 as I've no annual leave left :D

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 04 Feb 2010, 20:28

Burnie Booked..... we are now staying in Somerset 6km down the road. Should be $32pp.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 04 Feb 2010, 20:57

While booking accommodation, plans have been adjusted slightly, so we are probably staying in Sheffield on the first night. Both Sheffield and George Town accommodation is in the process of being booked, will confirm tomorrow night.

Still need to book something in Devonport.......... :?

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 05 Feb 2010, 09:15

Sheffied Cabins confirmed for Sunday 14 Feb

williamd

Postby williamd » 05 Feb 2010, 11:32

Hey Mick

There is a Town called Perth in Tasmania near Launceston.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 Feb 2010, 16:31

George Town Accommodation Booked!!

1 night to book.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 Feb 2010, 17:14

Devonport Booked!!

Altered Route to come....

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 09 Feb 2010, 14:10

We've had shocking luck with rain at Tempe, but it doesn't look like it's going to follow us to Tasmania. This is the long-range outlook for rain in Central Tasmania.

http://weather.farmonline.com.au/long-r ... as/central

Forecast is only slightly less rosy for north-west and north-central Tassie, so it's pretty clear that we won't have a week of torrential rain. Hooray!

After all these consecutive Waterfall washouts (preceded by a mechanical fiasco) I fear being a bit underdone for Tasmania. Thank goodness for the roller room.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 09 Feb 2010, 15:17

That's a good forecast, rainwise anyway. It will be a welcome relief - I got rained on again this morning :(

orphic

Postby orphic » 11 Feb 2010, 12:03

Not long to go!

How often do we get a chance to wash clothes? I am trying to pack as light as possible. Can I get away with one pair of knicks?

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 11 Feb 2010, 14:22

You can wash clothes every night - sometimes even in a machine! But you'll run into problems if your knicks don't dry overnight. 2 pairs are better.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 12 Feb 2010, 05:57

Camera charging, clothes in the washing machine, last day of work, picking up the keys to our friends holiday house in the middle of the forest in South Tasmia this afternoon, SUPER EXCITED!!!

Return to “Conversation”