What have you achieved this year?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 08:29

What did you want to do this year? and what have you done? On a bike? at work? with any thing really.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 08:53

Last year i was a lot less fit, and it wasnt untill we did our melbourne trip that i decided to go on with it all, so yeah. My sort of goals were

Goals:
Ride a road race and maybe finish it
Ride the grafton
Ride A grade Raw
Ride in the fasties to waterfall
Not get beaten by all the girls on the hills in the randwick rides
Ride the state titles hopefully not get too hammered.
Survive the ride to melbourne
win a wheel race

Team goals
-Dhbc raw champs
-team sprint medal
-have a team persuit team
-have a competative maddison team

Achieved.
-Made it to melbourne through the bushfires and 45degree heat and massive hills that we seemed to search out?!
-finished the grafton
-5th place in the cootamundra road race
-was in A grade at raw (one third place in a kieran there.)
-Road for Ireland at the UCI world cup
-road to Canberra in a 320km ride
-Can ride to waterfall with fasties bunch now, cant always keep up on the way back (on the fixie)
-Ridden in A grade heffron (get hammered by every one?!) some top 3 finishes in c and b grade
-3rd place in a crit open(ride for life)
-competed in a heap of state titles, kept up with bunch for 100 laps of points race :D
-i won a points race in our omnium :D simon wasnt included, but still an achievement

Team
-we won raw!!!?!!!!
-bronze in team sprint
-team persuit is in the works
-theres a competative maddison team :D im not in it though :D though i am an internation when it comes to the maddison :D

-bunji jumped in nz (the guy nearly had to push me off.)
-i lost 10 plus kilos :D

not done :(
-no wheel race wins though im pumped about the 5th places i have :D
-i still havent actually beaten simon in any thing?! though ive achieved more than him on the road :D

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 18 Dec 2009, 09:23

Well my biggest thing this year is i got fit and lost 15kilos with it.

no2. went from being unemployed for 7months (redundancy) to having a shite job for 3months to finally having a decent job which im in now.

no.3. doing some racing and winning a couple of lower grade races and placing in some bigger events.

no.4. did one elite track race, got hammered, but ill be lining up again next year.

no.5. survived being hit by a taxi.

and for next year my plan is simply to do alot more racing.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 09:31

umm amy, id have 3 top 3 finishes in opens wheel races including the clarence st cup up there?! That would be next to the ireland thing for me?!

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 18 Dec 2009, 09:43

ok i guess you could have 2 lists, on and off the bike, so obviously the wheelraces are my best achievements on the bike.
but for me, getting fit and losing 15k is MY biggest achievement this year.

Julio

Postby Julio » 18 Dec 2009, 09:47

Goals
To find a club to ride with
To ride in a bunch without causing the bunch to crash due to my poor bunch riding skills
Ride up waterfall
Ride the RNP
Do a critirium
Ride on a velodrome-again without crashing into other people due to my riding skills

Coming from a Triathlon background I found my bunch riding skills to be very poor when I join the club but only after a few months of hanging with you guys I have way more confidence in myself in regards to bunch riding.

Achieved
I now ride sunday when I can with the middies and sometimes hop onto the fasties on the way back to test myself.

Waterfall and RNP done heaps of time in the wet/dry/cold/hot. Mostly by myself during the week but now that I have a cycling partner I have company.

In my first Critirium I couldn't keep up after 3 laps with C grade on a tuesday but that same week I came 3rd in D grade. Big win

And I have taken to the velodrome like a nun to sin...it will take a while but I am sure I will get use to it with a bit of practice :P

I have outdone myself in regards to riding this year and might have to pimp my goals out for next year

Like.
Ride to the gong and back
Do Mac's pass
Finish with the group in C grade race on tuesday
Compete in a track race
and the biggy...do another Ironman by this time next year

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Dec 2009, 09:56

and amy, riding the fasties to waterfall! your the first dhbc girl that ive ever known to do so?!!! that must be a landmark one!@
man jullian its my goal to finish a tuesday night one too?!

orphic

Postby orphic » 18 Dec 2009, 10:09

Can I cut and paste Amy's acheivements for the last year and make them my goals for the next year? ;)

Everything has changed for me this year except for my job. I think it's been for the better. I've gone from partying/drinking/smoking to riding/riding/riding. I'm certainly a much happier person. It hasn't all been wonderful - with that kind of change you tend to lose friends and people close to you, but you gain new ones too.

Joining the club and being involved in the various cycling relating activities like track racing and the fixie centry are massive highlights for me. I have done quite well in acquiring bikes too...

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 18 Dec 2009, 10:44

Well what a year it has been, and it's not over just yet.

Goals
Start riding with the local club
Finish a triathlon
Score higher than 12 on the beep test
Get through another year of uni
Being able to ride up Wallace St
Start racing in 2years

Achievements
Started riding with DHBC on 22nd August
Rode Waterfall 23rd August
Ride up Wallace st regularly now
Rode RNP and surprisingly made it up all the climbs on my first attempts
Done Waterfall twice on my own. I still remember Lindsay saying "That'll be you in a few months." when we saw James heading back out on my first ever Waterfall ride.
DNF DHBC Club crit (First ever race)
3rd D grade Heffron
Completed the FIXIE CENTURY!
Finished the Neapean Triathlon
Got on the track (Never thought i'd be riding track)
Learnt how to ride the Madison (Thanks to Christian)
Still maintaining a GPA of 5.0 (Credit Average) at uni
Scored 12.01 on the beep test
Meeting all of you. Best thing this year would've been joining up with DHBC. Great bunch of people and it's like being apart of another family.

Oh, Also can't forget sailing!

Still to achieve this year
Sydney - Melbourne

Next Year = More racing oriented goals and a lot more km's

I'm absolutely stoked, going from a person who only rode 20km's a week if i was lucky to completing 160kms on a fixie. Looking forward to 2010!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Dec 2009, 10:49

Here's an odd one...

Having not ridden direct to Waterfall and directly back this year.

James

G

Postby G » 04 Jan 2010, 13:13

:)
I like goal orienteering culture amongst individual in the club. Excellent thread Tim. People can look at others' achievement and take inspiration iniit?'

Snce last 10 months my goal has been to be an Ironman triathlete.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 04 Jan 2010, 17:01

2009 cycling goals:
* Enjoy my cycling
* Not get dropped too badly by Joanne in France
* Ride up the Alpe d'Huez
* Become more involved in cycling advocacy

2009 cycling outcomes:
*Got dropped very badly by Joanne in France on 100% of rides we did as soon as the gradient went over 1%, especially if they involved Dave the guide;
* Missed riding the Alpe d'Huez due to logistics but did do Mt Ventoux for the 2nd time in a faster time and in more convincing style than previously;
* Started to not enjoy my cycling in the 2nd half of the year as I gained weight, got slower and got seriously bored with riding to Waterfall after < 2 years of doing it;
* Got dropped by Waterfall cruisers for the first time(s) in 2nd half of year. Got either depressed, angry or pissed off about being dropped, depending on the circumstances;
* Regularly donate to Amy Gillett foundation and trying to help raise awareness of cycling issues every chance I get.

2010 goals:
* Update the club website in Q1
* Get a club endorsed, once a month bunch riding/pace line training thing going at CP on Saturdays for newby Waterfall aspirants
* Learn to enjoy my cycling again
* Lose 10kg
* Mix up my Sunday rides
* Train with BRAT's at least twice a month before work
* Race the club crits and maybe even do an omnium or two
* Go watch the world's in Vic in Sep
* Drink less booze
* Have a holiday in Japan that involves zero cycling
* Have a totally outrageous 50th birthday

timyone

Postby timyone » 04 Jan 2010, 17:16

lol stuart your n inspiration!!

I think my goal at the start of the year was to finish waterfall with a bunch! ive been thinking back, untill melbourne i didnt ever finish with any one?!!

Lol stuart youve inspired me to make a thread on Goals for 10!!!

Return to “Conversation”