Bars for touring

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
orphic

Postby orphic » 30 Nov 2009, 11:10

These are the bars currently on my touring bike:

There are two problems. The first being that they are too wide (the smallest they make are 42cm) and the second being that there is too much splay towards the end of the bars. I know they should be wide for better handling, but I'm feeling like I might get some issues with my shoulders or wrists with them being as wide as these are.

I want to be comfortable riding on the hoods, but I also need to be comfortable riding on the drops when I take it off road. It's hard to say what I will be doing more at the moment - probably more on road initially, but I would like to do a mix of both.

I've got some people saying go flat bars, but I really am more comfortable with the idea of drops. What do you guys use for touring? Would road bars suffice?

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Nov 2009, 12:21

i was expecting this to be a thread about bars when touring, and was thinking about the greatest beer of the melbourne trip, though i dont drink that often, it can be fun during the day when its 45 degrees etc.

christian

Postby christian » 30 Nov 2009, 12:24

Of course Tim bars when touring are essential, you have to stay hydrated and there is nothing quite like an amber sports drink for that.

Back on topic, down in Tassie I just used standard road bars and didn't have any issues.

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Nov 2009, 12:28

yeah id say ride what ever you like, what would be the advantage of some thing else? lighter? more comfortable? i think simon had some extra spungy bar tape over his existing stuff, that made more diff than the actual bars, unless maybe the drops are uncomfortable etc, but you can actually do flat bars for alot of touring, depending on whos wheel your on, the jameses like to use touring for training for racing (or as a race its self) so theres times with them that it can be good to use drops, and down some of the hills, but you have t be able to reach your breaks, so even then i dont use them :P

What exactly would be better about other bars? or is this you in shopping mode :P simon is into every detail and talking about it for hours when it comes to shopping for bikes :P so im surprised we dont get more threads like this during shopping times.

EDIT: you know i didnt actually read your post untill after both comments, sorry :P just read adrians comment too :P but yeah id say they are fine, if you tour with dhbc, theres likely going to be some pace line prac, and if your with the ussual lads, it can get faster and be good for drops for bits :P you can just ride on the top for the off road stuff, and yeah as Adrian said (in the next post) wider could be better for control, especially off road with panniers!
Last edited by timyone on 30 Nov 2009, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 30 Nov 2009, 12:31

I think handlebars are a personal thing so use whatever you feel comfortable.
Touring bars may be slightly wider for better control (especially if you have front panniers) and tend to have shallow drops (randonneur style). I have a pair of drop bars off my fuji tourer that you'd be welcome to try.

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Dec 2009, 13:01

Yes well I suppose this raises the questions of what kind of bars do I prefer on the road? I really don't know. I think I like a smoother curve, but I'm not sure about the drop length.

I think I'm just confused.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 01 Dec 2009, 13:27

Did you know that the most popular bars for women are the Salsa Poco Short and Shallow? They are also quite pricey, none the less they are extremely popular and come in nice narrow sizes.

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Dec 2009, 14:07

I have the Poco's on my fixie. I must say, I'm not a big enough fan to put them on another bike.

G

Postby G » 01 Dec 2009, 15:34

TT bars are comfy for touring.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 03 Dec 2009, 12:18

Having done LDT (long distance touring) :roll: with both flat & drops my preference is for drops. Reasons being -

In a super strong headwind you can hunker down on them to get some aero. You've got more hand positions. When you lay the bike on it's side the drops give a bit of protection.

Return to “Conversation”