Bourke Street - Somethings a happenin'...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 23 Nov 2009, 09:07

Over the last week or so, there has been construction work occurring in Bourke Street between Huntley Street and Gardeners Road. There may be more elsewhere, but this is the only section that I ride along.

I noticed that there were a few signs on it indicating that it was cycling related, and out of curiosity, I looked up information on the Web. It would appear that they are putting a dedicated cycle path the whole length of Bourke Street. Most of the information that I found indicated that it was only going to occur north of Botany Rd, but I am not going to complain.

I have no idea how long it is going to take to complete, but I am looking forward to it.

James

orphic

Postby orphic » 23 Nov 2009, 09:53

That's pretty cool. Anything that safely gets me to my favourite bakery can't be a bad thing ;)

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Nov 2009, 10:18

yeah im now thinking about coffee :D and melbourne, they have a little bourke too!
no bakery though, some nice cafes maybe

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2009, 10:22

Looks like SCC is busy. They've also started the construction work on Union St bikeway in Pyrmont in the last 2 weeks. That should work towards alleviating the confusing thoroughfare to Pyrmont Br. But hopefully these works will take far less time than that King St section.

michele

Postby michele » 23 Nov 2009, 21:08

Just in case you're missing out, there is a Bourke St Bakery in Marrickville, Mitchell Rd off Illawara. Not too far from home!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Nov 2009, 22:14

Looks like SCC is busy. They've also started the construction work on Union St bikeway in Pyrmont in the last 2 weeks. That should work towards alleviating the confusing thoroughfare to Pyrmont Br. But hopefully these works will take far less time than that King St section.
Yeh, when I rode thru, they had blocked off the entire road, resulting in the bikes riding on the foot path

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 26 Nov 2009, 21:20

it will be interesting to see what happens with the seperated bike path along bourke st. The countries that this system was modeled on are removing them as the conflicts at intersections increased. Sydney is starting so far behind in the acceptance of cycling being a legitimate form of transport that perhaps this will be successful.
i work 500m from the bourke st bakery on gardeeners rd where i go for lunch or a coffee before worrk.

Return to “Conversation”