Messenger bag for commuting

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 May 2007, 00:20

Well, i'm thinking i should get another bag for commuting to uni. I'm currently using a Nike Tour De France Messenger bag (white jersey version, 2005 tour). However, i'm thinking i need something slightly more stable on my back, more waterproof, and with slightly more space, as the nike bag can get to its limit especially when i take my labcoat and textbooks to uni.

Anyway, i'm looking at Crumpler bags at the moment, since they're easy to get. They have an extra strap for stability, just not sure which one i should get. I should probably go and check out the shop in Newtown, though i'm not sure i can afford $150 for a bag. There are a couple on ebay right now,
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/As-new-Crumpler- ... dZViewItem
I'm thinking it's too similar in size to my current bag.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CRUMPLER-bag-see ... dZViewItem
Older model, so i don't know exact specs, but a bit of searching makes me think the size would be about right.

The other option i guess would be the Complete Seed, which is a bit bigger again, though possibly too big.

I recall Grant saying he got a Crumpler bag, any reccomendations? Anyone else with a suggestion?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 May 2007, 00:31

Found an picture of my current bag http://www.bobshop.de/index.php?sid=cad ... ttype=list

Also took some quick measurements, 40x26x20, so maybe the Barney Rustle Blanket is big enough. I must have seen other measurements somewhere in the past.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 May 2007, 06:29

Been thinking of getting similar as my present Crumpler bag is smallish and won't take my laptop. But then received a conference bag last week that I would have betted was made by Crumpler and has a padded computer compartment. So no more shopping. But be careful, although Crumplers are solid, their flap design aren't very good in the wet. Your books WILL get wet if you ride in the rain.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 May 2007, 09:57

I use a mountain design lap top back pack and carry quite heavy loads in it. The bag is virtually bullet proof and I get about 4 years constant use out of one.

Damian

Postby Damian » 16 May 2007, 15:49

Been thinking of getting similar as my present Crumpler bag is smallish and won't take my laptop. But then received a conference bag last week that I would have betted was made by Crumpler and has a padded computer compartment. So no more shopping. But be careful, although Crumplers are solid, their flap design aren't very good in the wet. Your books WILL get wet if you ride in the rain.
Their computer bags with the padded compartments don't seem to have the overhang of the standard messenger bags. I have the Complete Seed and it's great. I can fit all sorts of stuff in there.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 May 2007, 16:21

Their computer bags with the padded compartments don't seem to have the overhang of the standard messenger bags. I have the Complete Seed and it's great. I can fit all sorts of stuff in there.
I am out of that market now I have a freebie. Well, nothing is free these days. At least I didn't get another one of those useless conference bags for the exorbitant registration fee.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 May 2007, 16:34

Anyone need a laptop bag ?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 May 2007, 16:54

The Complete Seed does look good, though i don't want something that's going to be too big. I'm thinking i'll try and get that Barney Rustle Blanket on ebay for a good price, and if it's too small i can always sell it and go down to crumpler and have a closer look at what they have.

Return to “Conversation”