Sydney to Gong 2009

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 11 Aug 2009, 07:53

I think that there was a topic already for this, but I couldn't find it.

Entries for the Gong Ride open this Saturday, 15th August. The numbers this year are limited to 10,000 so, if you plan on riding it, I would suggest that you get in early.

http://www.gongride.org.au/

I am assuming that DHBC will be putting a team in, so we need to decide on a name, and the captain is simply going to be the first person to register for that team. Otherwise some may miss out if we are waiting for our designated captain to register first. I have no idea how quickly the places are going to fill up.

So, should we keep our name nice and simple like "Team DHBC", or go for something exotic?

James

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Aug 2009, 10:32

Team Dulwich Hill :D

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 11 Aug 2009, 15:56

The Fixie Century is on the same weekend.

Terry

Postby Terry » 11 Aug 2009, 16:00

I've already entered, i got an e-mail from MS to enter early because apparently I'm part of a valued fundraising team, but may not ride it depending on the date of the fixie century.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Aug 2009, 16:12

I received an email and trashed it with all the spams. I'll wait for when general entry opens.

MikeC and I have plans to organize an Extreme Gong ride this year for anyone who wants to join, looping through Camden on the return. But the idea came up before Mike knew the potential dates for the Fixie Century. Yet again, when has a tough challenge stopped Mike? :wink:

Toff

Postby Toff » 11 Aug 2009, 19:13

I'm not so sure about the Gong ride this year. It's expensive compared to the Jambaroo ride, which I had more fun on last year. I should do both but I'm struggling to find the time.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Aug 2009, 21:29

Surely the club can move the fixie century to a different weekend to allow us to once again be top bicycle club in the fund raising. I'll be riding, hopefully in a better frame of mind and body than last year.

What say the fixie people?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Aug 2009, 21:33

Surely the club can move the fixie century to a different weekend to allow us to once again be top bicycle club in the fund raising. I'll be riding, hopefully in a better frame of mind and body than last year.
This seemed to be a regular conflict since the start of Fixie Century (?2-3 years ago). Last year was the odd one out.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Aug 2009, 21:35

OK then FI - I'll ride and be a fundraiser for IBM and get a free jersey ....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Aug 2009, 21:48

I am no fixie rider and you better wait for them to respond. But I get the impression that their plans are firming up for the same day.

But don't give up. Our Team DHBC's fundraising went pretty well in 2007 (considering the smaller numbers) even though it also clashed with Fixie Century for that year. That was also the first year I made the return ride. And given the increase in our club membership and the rather limited number of fixie century participants, I strongly suspect that it won't dent Team DHBC's objectives in participant number and fundraising by any significant amount.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Aug 2009, 22:25

I was proposing a longer route home

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 13&t=17769

But now I've got the fixie ride on the same day

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Aug 2009, 22:29

I am no fixie rider and you better wait for them to respond. But I get the impression that their plans are firming up for the same day.
Well, if some of the best riders and long term members in the club can't be bothered to attend the biggest public ride of the year in club colours and fund raise for a worthy cause when they could easily move the fixie ride, then why would anybody else be bothered? Is it just too mainstream or what? I'll be riding in BLUE

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 11 Aug 2009, 22:45

It's not as easy to move the fixie ride as you may think. In October there is also the Scott 24hr (quite a few doing this), and the Warrnambool. Then in November the Track racing season begins.

Anyway, people have the opportunity to decide for themselves on when and where they are going to ride, so i don't really see an issue here.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 12 Aug 2009, 07:02

[/quote]Well, if some of the best riders and long term members in the club can't be bothered to attend the biggest public ride of the year in club colours and fund raise for a worthy cause when they could easily move the fixie ride, then why would anybody else be bothered? Is it just too mainstream or what? I'll be riding in BLUE[/quote]

There will be enough DHBC riders that don't ride fixies that will do the Gong ride. It will just have to be a smaller number than last year.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Aug 2009, 08:29

Well, if some of the best riders and long term members in the club can't be bothered to attend the biggest public ride of the year in club colours and fund raise for a worthy cause when they could easily move the fixie ride, then why would anybody else be bothered? Is it just too mainstream or what?
I think that we just have to accept that not everyone is into Sydney-Gong charity ride and will also "take-over" our normal Waterfall training route on the Sun. Further, based on past years' fundraising results, I don't think there'll be much lost in terms of fundraising depth for Team DHBC. Motivation of new members and introducing them to this major community ride should probably be the objective.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Aug 2009, 08:31

There will be enough DHBC riders that don't ride fixies that will do the Gong ride. It will just have to be a smaller number than last year.
With the increase in membership, I wouldn't be surprised if we can match our numbers from last year.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Aug 2009, 09:04

Well, if some of the best riders and long term members in the club can't be bothered to attend the biggest public ride of the year in club colors and fund raise for a worthy cause when they could easily move the fixie ride, then why would anybody else be bothered? Is it just too mainstream or what? I'll be riding in BLUE
?> where has this come from Stuart? have never ridden the Sydney to gong, it sounds like a dangerous over crowded ride for people that don’t normally ride, to aim for. As you can see, we are the main cycling club that does it, and this has only been for the last couple of years, I didn’t know we were obligated to do it. There is a lot of racing coming up in the next few months, and we have to fit these things on between races, as it is what we spend hours training for. The club has been doing the fixie century for as long as we have been paying any attention at all to the gong ride, and as training and safety go, id say its a better option. I am personally totally ripped off that I can’t do both, though after talking to Simon in person about the issue, I understand that there wasn’t another time that suits enough riders :(

On the topic of raising money for a worth while cause, I know I wont be raising any money for this one off event, but I have only ever (except for one job for star bucks where I wanted to make coffee) worked for charities, and have spent countless hours in volunteer youth work for troubled youths in red fern and Marrickville (granted my Marrickville lads have never been as troubled :D or as good at rugby league, as my Redfern lads (any one heard of Buddy Gordon? he was a rabbit but now a bulldog, he was from the youth group at Redfern that I was at). Our family is also heavily involved with the salvation army, so yeah, we get to know the deal :D On this topic, I would say some times your time is better than your money :D

I think you may be onto a good thing though here, we should be thinking more long term with this whole helping out the charities, with time, and money, perhaps some planned giving :D you can have it taken out monthly, that’s the way I like, that way you don’t realize your losing it (ok I don’t pay a lot of attention to my accounts! Others might)
These one day ‘things’ are good for raising awareness, but compared to what you can do if you just take 50 bux off a month and sponsor a child, or send it off to the salvos, they aren’t a useful.

I was reading a sign about the Fred Hollows foundation, they reckon it only costs 25 bux to help a child with their sight, that sounds like a great idea :D though I doubt its really that cheap, and that a bit would go into organization costs, but you have to expect that.

But yes, I’m all for this giving thing and think that we should be looking at it as a club :D on the topic of why every one should be bothered to ride the gong ride even if the elitist hardcore racers of the club want to go and ride a safer, maybe more fun alternative, that couldn’t be put on any other day; I would say that it is not in our club spirit at all to be worried at all about those sort of riders any way!! I’m in this club because of Saturday slowies, penny farthings and coffee :D (a well as my fondness for the color red) None of the riders I know would care if those sort of riders are there or not!! I cant imagine Simon Sharwood skipping a ride because Simon and the Alex' aren’t there. I’m sure half the lads that ride waterfall haven’t even heard of the Llewellyn name!

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Aug 2009, 09:06

I think that we just have to accept that not everyone is into Sydney-Gong charity ride and will also "take-over" our normal Waterfall training route on the Sun. Further, based on past years' fundraising results, I don't think there'll be much lost in terms of fundraising depth for Team DHBC. Motivation of new members and introducing them to this major community ride should probably be the objective.
exactly :)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Aug 2009, 18:57

Here is my apology for being such a grumpy person the last week or so on the forum which reflects my general state of mind. I really have no right to give people sh*t for wanting to ride anywhere else, with anyone else on any given day. I ban myself from the forum for at least one week.

It does however look like I'll be riding with Jo's work mates in Team Blue Star on the 'gong ride.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Aug 2009, 19:29

:) no probs. Sorry about the long responce, I had the morning off :)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Aug 2009, 12:45

Ok, let's draw a line and restart this thread. :wink:

==================================================================

I've just entered and the package deal of $80 including T-shirt and lunch seemed to be pretty good.

Who else are coming on this ride? General entry opens tomorrow.

James, do you want to be the team leader? "Team DHBC" was what we used in the last 2 years.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Aug 2009, 13:34

It does however look like I'll be riding with Jo's work mates in Team Blue Star on the 'gong ride.
Yes unfortunately Team Blue Star has more funding than team DHBC this year. I would like to say that we can't be bought - but that is just not true. We have accepted the bribe of a Marquee with BBQ lunch after, Bibnix and Jerseys. Although I did hear the barbecue last year was ordinary. No doubt I will see some DHBC people on the ride.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Aug 2009, 13:39

Yes unfortunately Team Blue Star has more funding than team DHBC this year. I would like to say that we can't be bought - but that is just not true. We have accepted the bribe of a Marquee with BBQ lunch after, Bibnix and Jerseys. Although I did hear the barbecue last year was ordinary. No doubt I will see some DHBC people on the ride.
Oh well, sounds like that more "senior" members have absconded. :P

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 14 Aug 2009, 14:32

I'm in, but might be with my cycling alter ego - Geeks on Bikes, a motley collection of people from around the IT&T communities. If they fail to get their junk together, I'll be proudly DHBC on the day!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Aug 2009, 16:36

Oh well, sounds like that more "senior" members have absconded. :P
Oy - who are you calling senior bucko???

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Aug 2009, 16:48

Oy - who are you calling senior bucko???
You lot! :P

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 14 Aug 2009, 19:28

I'm planning on registering early tomorrow morning. It depends on what they mean by Rego's open on the 15th.

If I am in first, then I will set myself up as Team Captain.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Aug 2009, 22:04

Please do! Let us know the team name.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 15 Aug 2009, 05:07

I was hoping to register at about 5am this morning, the registration still isn't open, and I won't be back until about 10-10:30am.

If someone registers before me, feel free to create the team.

Name: Team DHBC

James

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 15 Aug 2009, 11:26

Has anyone with out a pre registration code managed to register yet?

James

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 17 Aug 2009, 16:54

OK, registration is now open, so you can start registering.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Aug 2009, 17:51

James, thanks for setting the team up. Team DHBC it is.

G

Postby G » 18 Aug 2009, 09:51

Shame it coincides with the Port Macquarie Half Ironman. Why do all the interesting events on earth take place on a single day?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Aug 2009, 09:56

Yeh, we need one of these

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Aug 2009, 10:54

Shame it coincides with the Port Macquarie Half Ironman. Why do all the interesting events on earth take place on a single day?
Because everyone is trying to squeeze everything in before the weather gets nastily hot again.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 18 Aug 2009, 11:10

No no Weiyun, you have it all wrong. The weather will be fantastically hot. Early morning rides with the rising sun, then continuing onto the beach where you bask all day all day in the sun, picnicing and staying cool in the water, then enjoying a summers eve ride about town in the long evening sun. Imagine the possibilities!!! You don't even have to worry about how you'll keep yourself warm once you get to your destination!

Bring on SUMMER!!!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Aug 2009, 17:19

Sydney to Gong, Good Weather?

Don't make me laugh.

Unlike City to Surf which is yet to have bad weather on any of its runnings, Sydney to Gong is lucky if it gets one good year in 4. I seem to remember that the last couple of years haven't been the best.

The last time I did it was when it reopened to Wollongong, we had 60km/hr Southerly Winds with rain for good measure. Prick of a day.

James

G

Postby G » 18 Aug 2009, 23:12

Don't make me laugh.

Unlike City to Surf which is yet to have bad weather on any of its runnings, Sydney to Gong is lucky if it gets one good year in 4. I seem to remember that the last couple of years haven't been the best.

The last time I did it was when it reopened to Wollongong, we had 60km/hr Southerly Winds with rain for good measure. Prick of a day.

James
City2Surf has only once had rain on that day since it started.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Aug 2009, 23:24

Last year was the best. No rain all the way and the return ride was blessed by mild weather, albeit a strong headwind after Sutherland. The year before had rain to Waterfall before clearing and was blistering hot for the return.

micklan

Postby micklan » 20 Aug 2009, 14:54

I've done it for the past 5 years - alas this year I'll miss the ride as I'll be in the jungles of Wagga Wagga :D

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 23 Aug 2009, 19:11

James
That was my first ever gongride. Did it on a MTB. The headwinds were 75km/h according to the BOM. It put me in bed for two weeks with a nasty cold!

Simon.

SuzieSpiro

Postby SuzieSpiro » 30 Aug 2009, 19:31

Hey Kids
All those gentle reminders from Weiyun have finally had their effect - I'm all signed up for the (gulp) 90km version of the Gong Ride!

Now I know that realistically there is NO chance I'm going to do 90kms in less than 4 hrs ('cos I did 56kms in 3.5 hrs in 2007 and I'm on a hybrid). So unlikely to start with the 'speed demons' - but for those looking for a more leisurely Gong Experience, feel free to join my 'Gong Slowies' team. Cheers, Suzanne :)

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 07 Sep 2009, 21:37

I've registered today. Interested in who else is going.

ruip

Postby ruip » 08 Sep 2009, 19:45

I too have also registered and looking forward to it

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Sep 2009, 20:49

Well, just join Team DHBC and find out. :wink:

Frank S

Postby Frank S » 17 Sep 2009, 17:16

as of 16 Sept

Teams: 552

Riders: 5,853

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 19 Sep 2009, 11:05

I'm in for the slowies group.

SuzieSpiro

Postby SuzieSpiro » 19 Sep 2009, 12:51

Excellent, so far that's Brian, Nada and myself for the Gong Slowies group. Oh and Nada tells me she's on a tandem with James. Additional Slowies most welcome!

ruip

Postby ruip » 21 Sep 2009, 13:21

I'm in for the slowies group

Nada Z

Postby Nada Z » 13 Oct 2009, 20:15

Hi All!

Did you get your packages for the Sydney to Gong? What are your start times? What letter/number/colour do you have on your bibs?

See you!
Nada

Terry

Postby Terry » 14 Oct 2009, 05:03

Yeah mine came the other day I got a 6:00 start "A" 24 ( the lowest number gong ride bib number i've ever seen)

Nada Z

Postby Nada Z » 14 Oct 2009, 10:28

Geez and I thought I had a low number... I'm A503 with a start time of 6.30. James is A518 with a start time of 6.15. Shall we see you at the team starting area then? James and I plan to be there for 6.00. Hopefully we can get an early start as I don't know how they can enforce the start times on our envelopes. Are you a slowy Terry or a fairly quick rider?

Terry

Postby Terry » 14 Oct 2009, 15:39

My wife signed us up the day we were emailed that pre-registration was open . I was planning on riding down unwins birdge rd to avoid the stop start crawl through St Peters.
I'm A503 with a start time of 6.30. James is A518 with a start time of 6.15. Shall we see you at the team starting area then? James and I plan to be there for 6.00. Hopefully we can get an early start as I don't know how they can enforce the start times on our envelopes. ?

I reckon you should be alright seing as your star times are 15 min apart and you're riding a tandem. (Then again maybe you're suposed to run to catch up with james :D )

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 14 Oct 2009, 15:49

I think that the start times are going to be controlled by the letter on your start number. Nada and I have the same letter, and we are 15 minutes apart in our start times (6:15 and 6:30). I suspect that anyone with a start time of up to 6:30am has a letter of "A" on their number.

On that basis, I think that it is worthwhile to get there as early as you can based on the letter on your number. In either case, if we can't start at 6am, it isn't a long wait for us until we will be able to leave.

James

Terry

Postby Terry » 14 Oct 2009, 17:32

There are white and green bibs marked A and B.
White bibs for riders starting between 6 and 7AM.
Green bibs for those starting between 7 and 8AM.
The A & B denotes team or individual starting location at sydney Park

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 14 Oct 2009, 17:55

I'm waiting and wondering where mine may be...

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 15 Oct 2009, 08:33

My gongride stuff arrived yesterday. I am 983A, with a 6:30 AM start time.

ruip

Postby ruip » 18 Oct 2009, 10:51

Hi all

I am green group A with a 6:30 time slot.

I am happy to get there for a 6am start.

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 20 Oct 2009, 20:08

I'm still waiting for my stuff to arrive. I'm not sure whether I'll be rding with the club or people from work, but i'll be in my DHBC jersey.

I've plugged for donations on my blog and put a club pic from the Stanwell Tops ride up with the post. Thought I'd give the club a plug. :-)

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/200 ... or-ms.html

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 20 Oct 2009, 20:20

With my Publicity Officer's hat on, many thanks for plugging the club Antony!

colin

Postby colin » 22 Oct 2009, 07:58

Hi All,

I'm a group A 6am starter, A1770, so see you all there

stevanr

Postby stevanr » 22 Oct 2009, 08:35

Hi guys, im just wondering where the club riders will be meeting on the day ?

at the park or another location

let me know, thanks

SR

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 22 Oct 2009, 20:31

My number is A2094 and I have a orange wrist band and 6.15 start.

SuzieSpiro

Postby SuzieSpiro » 26 Oct 2009, 07:57

Hi everyone
Just wanted to let you know I'm STILL waiting on my bib number for the Gong Ride. I registered on 30 August for the 90kms ride, but still no bib or jersey (I ordered a ladies Gong Ride jersey) as yet.

Also FYI - I'm now riding with my girlfriends Toni & Loretta doing the 58kms version of the ride - sorry! I've not been riding much lately and the 90kms will be a bit ambitious for my current level of fitness. Mind you, I might not be riding at all if I don't get my bib number. The Gong Ride admin people haven't been particularly helpful about when my bib might turn up - I rung them early last week and the response was 'it's in the mail'. I have no idea if it's OK to ride the 58kms route if I'm wearing a 90kms bib - however assume they have to catch me to stop me riding!!!

On another note - my faithful Felt Hybrid bike had a 'wonky' bent wheel which has only just been replaced (which is why I wasn't at Saturday Slowies last Saturday). Should be back on the bike this coming Saturday.

Cheers
Suzanne

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 26 Oct 2009, 16:39

Hi guys ...its seems I've come out of hibernation too late. I soooo wanted to do the Gong ride, but just tried to sign up and it has sold out. Ummm if anyone's bought but for whatever reson can't make it... I'd be more than happy to buy your entry.

BTW what happens if you just turn up and ride?

Shame...was looking to ride with club.

Terry

Postby Terry » 26 Oct 2009, 17:18

Hey Michael,
Hibernation sounds about right.....have you been catching up on all your lost sleep???? :D

You may be in luck i recall weiyun telling me that he was signed up for the gong ride but has had something come up so is unable to ride.

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 26 Oct 2009, 18:24

I still have not received an entry pack, just an email saying be patient they are struggling to get out all the packs...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Oct 2009, 18:53

I bet nothing would happen and you'll just blend nicely in the crowd. At the end of the day, they can't exclude other cyclists from riding the route they are using.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 26 Oct 2009, 18:55

Nothing ... until you get to the National Park. At that point, you will be turned back this year. All the material I have read about the event this year says "no number, no park."

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 26 Oct 2009, 19:32

I'm still waiting for my pack as well. I also registered very early.

The weather forecast looks very good. Here's hoping it's right.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 26 Oct 2009, 19:50

Hey Michael,
Hibernation sounds about right.....have you been catching up on all your lost sleep???? :D
mmm...something like that..also been waiting for my knees to bend (and mend!!!)...have stopped riding a single speed which, as enjoyable as it was, mashed my knees.

Cheers hope to see you on the day. :D

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 26 Oct 2009, 19:54

Hey Michael,
You may be in luck i recall weiyun telling me that he was signed up for the gong ride but has had something come up so is unable to ride.

Wieyun is this right??? If so would be interested? Cheers and hope you are well.

AnthonyI

Postby AnthonyI » 26 Oct 2009, 20:01

Hey all,

Got my registration pack last week. I'm down for a 6am start - A617.

I plan on riding back, so turning the ride into a century ride. I'm thinking of taking the same route back to Sydney, although I'll probably turn left at Stanwell Tops back to the highway, rather than going up the hill back to Waterfall.

Any comments if this is the best way back, given this will be my first attempt at 100 mile distance

Any others keen?

Nada Z

Postby Nada Z » 26 Oct 2009, 20:34

Hey all,

Got my registration pack last week. I'm down for a 6am start - A617.

I plan on riding back, so turning the ride into a century ride. I'm thinking of taking the same route back to Sydney, although I'll probably turn left at Stanwell Tops back to the highway, rather than going up the hill back to Waterfall.

Any comments if this is the best way back, given this will be my first attempt at 100 mile distance

Any others keen?
Hey Honey!

See I'm not the only crazy one who wants to ride back! :)

Love ya,
Nada

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Oct 2009, 20:37

Nothing ... until you get to the National Park. At that point, you will be turned back this year. All the material I have read about the event this year says "no number, no park."
So you would end up riding via Hellengsburg

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 26 Oct 2009, 20:54

So you would end up riding via Hellengsburg
Helensburgh to Otford is one steep downhill....yeehaa!!!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Oct 2009, 22:13

Wieyun is this right??? If so would be interested? Cheers and hope you are well.
Hi Michael, sorry to disappoint. Both Mikebytes and myself were planning for a nice long return ride but our plans got disrupted for different reasons. He is going to the Fixie Century and I have a wedding to go to. Next year, next year. Or a special ride in Jan hols. :roll:

ruip

Postby ruip » 27 Oct 2009, 11:59

Hi all

As the new jerseys wont be arriving till mid December, anyone know where i can get an older design jersey for the ride.

Cheers
Rui

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Oct 2009, 12:25

Hi all

As the new jerseys wont be arriving till mid December, anyone know where i can get an older design jersey for the ride.

Cheers
Rui
Yep - contact Simon Llewellyn or Lindsay via a Private Message on this forum. There is stock left from the last run.

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 27 Oct 2009, 20:26

received my pack.

A4172 for a 7:15 AM start.

Fraser

Postby Fraser » 27 Oct 2009, 21:02

I can no longer make it this Sunday to the Sydney to Gong ride.

I have an A 1747 number with a start time of 06.30am. Also have a prepaid return Bike Lift ticket which will transport you and your bike back to Sydney.

Know of anyone interested in taking my place? Do let me know and I can send you all the stuff.

Cheers
Fraser

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 28 Oct 2009, 06:08

I meant to PM that.

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 28 Oct 2009, 16:52

My pack finally arrived today with a 6:30 start time and the improbably high number 9923. All odd seeing I registered very early.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 28 Oct 2009, 21:52

Hi

Our start time is 6.30 so we'll be there at around 6.15 for a 6.30 start.

Terry

Postby Terry » 29 Oct 2009, 15:17

Does anyone have plans for after the ride?

I quite liked five islands brewery last time.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 29 Oct 2009, 18:01

Five Islands is a given for me. That's where we'll be!
It's also a much better place to ride to the station to catch the train home. The cues from Nth Wollongong looked very long last year.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 30 Oct 2009, 19:00

Five Islands sounds fine for a post ride lunch.

Just a thought - my wife Michele is joining us there with a Hiace van. At present there are only 2 or 3 bikes in the back for the return to Marrickville.

There is room for more with a careful pack. No free passenger space though.

Perhaps someone can offer car seat space as well for a comfortable (but no doubt smelly) return for a few riders.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » 31 Oct 2009, 10:48

does anybody riding back from the gong tomorrow?

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 31 Oct 2009, 11:08

I am thinking of riding back, but I do not know if I can make it back as well...

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 31 Oct 2009, 12:47

Late Notice.

I am now out, I had a run in at work, and I don't think that it is a good idea for me to ride a tandem for the first time tomorrow morning surrounded by a lot of other cyclists.

So, my entry is free to a good home, with a condition.

I was due to ride this with Nada on Lindsay's Tandem as captain, if anyone else is willing to help a "damsel in distress", please PM me.

James

MarkG

Postby MarkG » 31 Oct 2009, 13:39

I was also considering riding back but not sue if I'd make it Miguel. Like the idea of the five islands brewery though! I've got a 6am start time but would like to leave with other DHBCers so will hang around for a 6:30 depart as looks like a few have this.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 31 Oct 2009, 15:34

Miguel. ...I'll see how I feel on arrival at Wgong..haven't ridden much at all, but wouldn't mind giving it a go. What time are you starting?

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 31 Oct 2009, 16:55

I put DHBC as my team on the entry. But I seem to have an individual entry. Should I go to the teams section or the individuals section? I do not get it!

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 31 Oct 2009, 17:09

Fraser - I have PM'ed you ( re contact details) couldn't find your phone no. Hope to hear from you. Cheers

Nada Z

Postby Nada Z » 31 Oct 2009, 20:19

Hi Brian, I think the letter on your bib denotes team or individual entry. I think...

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 01 Nov 2009, 15:53

Makes a big difference when you leave at 6 or 6.15. You avoid all the crowds. Once we got past Loftus - it was a pretty good run. We didn't get stopped at any of the hills at all. Stu and I were at the gong before 9.15am. Stuart and I headed off home and chose not to go to the pub after as we got there so early. So after our beer and sausage sandwich in our Marquee we headed off home. I called Geoff Semon on the train coming home, and he was still a long way from the finish line. I think there was either an accident or just unbelievable crowds. Hope the rest of DHBC made it there ok.
Last edited by Trouty on 01 Nov 2009, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Frank.S87

Postby Frank.S87 » 01 Nov 2009, 16:00

we got to the gong @ about 1 it was a pretty eventful ride today i'll let Marian n Geoff explain the rest :D

malee

Postby malee » 01 Nov 2009, 17:04

hey guys it was the mist exciting ride i have ever had. it started withh a big bang. i was cruising down the hill in rnp. i was riding the back brakes a little then saw this large crowd being slowed by police. i had time to squeeze hard to slow to a stop then bang, it was my back tyre. thank goodness i was almost stationary and there was at least ten metres infront and no one on my back wheel. luckily frank was within earshot and came over to help. it was the baker tube and the tyre was o.k.
the next bit of excitement was coming onto a crash on the bike path ten km from the finish. two cyclist down. so frank and I fed them gel and mopped their brows with steristrps and waited for an ambulance. there were a few others who directed traffic etc. finally we got to the pub and even I drank a half pint this arfo. hope everyone else had a good ride.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Nov 2009, 17:21

At 1pm?!? That is really really late. What happened? Did you guys have a big early morning tea along the way?

I did a solo ride to Sutherland this morning and rode past St Peters on the Princes Hwy at 6:03. With fortune, I tagged onto the second bunch of the first wave and had a good ride to the Sutherland servo. Being on home turf, I pushed the pace on the Grand Pde and that stretched the bunch out nicely and then the pace was really on and ensured a fast ride to Sutherland (for me). I was alone at the servo and took off again after 4-5mins for the return. Over Capt Cook Br I sat up after hearing a shout by Marian from across the road. It was nice to see a little congregation of DHBC jerseys. By luck, I caught the Cronulla Tri bunch at the start of the Grand Pde. After doing a bit of work for them at the front, I took it easy back to Bestic.

Judging by what I saw of the ride to Sutherland and back, I would say that the organizers have succeed in thinning out the earlier groups as the riders were more evenly spread out and there weren't the same kind of crowding experienced in the past. Good job from what I saw.
Last edited by weiyun on 01 Nov 2009, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

yewenyi

Postby yewenyi » 01 Nov 2009, 19:00

I left a little after 7AM and got to the pub after 2PM to catch Geoff and co leaving the pub for the train. No dramas for me, it just took me that long to do the ride! ;-P

Return to “Conversation”