Does anyone know of a good tour operator?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Terry

Postby Terry » 26 Jul 2009, 16:05

My wife and I are planning on doing a tour ( hopefully supported) from Adelaide to Darwin. Does anyone know if there is a tour operator that offers such a ride?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 26 Jul 2009, 16:25

My wife and I are planning on doing a tour ( hopefully supported) from Adelaide to Darwin. Does anyone know if there is a tour operator that offers such a ride?
I know Mark Hales is starting a tour business, we just did the photo shoots for it on the weekend. Not sure where his tours go, but I know it is for people who want self catered tours. I think he can organise or suggest accomodation, hire GPS's etc. Best private message him and ask what the go is. I thought he did Canberra tours but I could be wrong. He has obviously done a bit of research so he can point you in the right direction I guess.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Jul 2009, 18:47

I have done this route with All Trails, admittedly, I had a year off after reaching Alice Springs.

I don't think that All Trails will do one straight between Adelaide and Darwin, and considering the low numbers on Alice to Darwin this year, I am not sure if they are going to repeat it any time soon. You can check out my site (http://www.jamescheetham.net) for the places we stayed at along the way. If you want to avoid camping, then the biggest issue is going to be the 256km between Glendambo and Coober Pedy. There are quite a few places after Alice Springs, but not all are places where you will want to stay (Barrow Creek).

James

Terry

Postby Terry » 26 Jul 2009, 20:05

I sent an email to Phil & Susan enquiing if they would be interested in doing such a ride with the expectation that the answer would be no seeing as they haven't run it in one go before.
I've not been able to find anyone who does this ride yet so maybe it will be unsuported or i could try to convince some friends or family to drive a support vehicle.
the main thing that concerns me about going unsupported is the fear of being out in the middle of Aust. and not knowing where the next water stop would be. where as in a car this is not as mutch of an issue as you can carry more water with you.

Return to “Conversation”