Saddle Bag Kit

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 15 May 2009, 20:56

The other week I got a bit sick of trying to get one thing out of my saddle bag without everything coming out. I normally keep it all in a zip lock bag, but the bag ends up getting destroyed, and then you are likely to loose something out of it.

Then, I came up with an idea.

This is it wrapped up

Unwrapped...

Opened...

And with everything exposed.

From left to right, I have some of my home made tyre boot (for covering a hole in the tyre that the tube will poke through). My spare emergency tube (this is a race tube, so it is thinner than a normal one. I carry one in my back pocket, so this is a backup). Puncture repair kit. Multi-Tool, and Tyre Levers.

The golden thing on the cord is a valve adapter, it allows me to convert a presta valve to a schrader valve (so I can inflate my tyres at a service station, as long as they don't have one of those stupid electronic ones).

This is made out of a reasonably heavy material, it has a velcro strip to hold it closed, and an elastic tie to keep it wrapped up. There is also an elastic strip at the top of the pockets to help keep everything in place even when it is opened up. Each item has it's own pocket, and the pockets are the widest on the right, and narrowest on the left, this is so that it rolls up as neatly as possible.

I have some water shield silicon spray at home, I am going to give it a good coat to try and keep as much water out as possible. While the saddle bag is waterproof, water still does get in. When making it, I wanted to avoid using any metal parts as they would only get wet and rust.

This entire thing was hand sewn. Not with a sewing machine, but with needle and thread. It took me about 10 hours all up, there was a lot of planning involved to ensure that everything was sewn in the best order. Luckily, I don't think that I made any mistakes with the order, and I am hoping that it is all going to hold together for many a year.

One funny story, when I was making it, I was testing each item in the pocket as I went, at one point, the pockets were simply pinned in place. No prizes for guessing where one of the pins went when I was trying to check the width for the tube...

James

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 May 2009, 21:11

see you on the new inventors then James? Also, can I order one.

Toff

Postby Toff » 15 May 2009, 21:38

Nice idea James, and wow that's alot of work. I think I would have just cut the bottom off an old jersey to give me 3 instant pockets. Would not be as nice as yours, but would give me 10 more hours drinking time!

timyone

Postby timyone » 15 May 2009, 23:23

man ive been wondering about some thing like this for under my seat or where ever.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 May 2009, 23:52

Just like a surgical instrument pack! :lol:

But there is a good reason for wrapping that in a plastic bag. It prevents the multi-tool from getting wet and rusty. Also, talc powder on the tubes don't like getting wet either.

christian

Postby christian » 18 May 2009, 08:26

Good idea. You could make it out of a water proof or slightly water proof material like sail cloth or if your feeling rich Gortex.

Nada Z

Postby Nada Z » 27 Jul 2009, 02:24

I can sew... both by hand and a sewing machine. Be happy to knock a few of those up if you want to show me your design!

Nada Z

Postby Nada Z » 08 Nov 2009, 19:51

Hi all!

James' designed this saddle bag ages ago. I then made him my machine sewn version which is much lighter and made from water-proof fabric. Photos of this new saddle bag will be posted soon.

I can custom make them as per the contents in your saddle bag so if anyone is interested in having one made then PM me. I will be charging $10 per bag just to cover overheads.

Nada xo

The other week I got a bit sick of trying to get one thing out of my saddle bag without everything coming out. I normally keep it all in a zip lock bag, but the bag ends up getting destroyed, and then you are likely to loose something out of it.

Then, I came up with an idea.

This is it wrapped up

Unwrapped...

Opened...

And with everything exposed.

From left to right, I have some of my home made tyre boot (for covering a hole in the tyre that the tube will poke through). My spare emergency tube (this is a race tube, so it is thinner than a normal one. I carry one in my back pocket, so this is a backup). Puncture repair kit. Multi-Tool, and Tyre Levers.

The golden thing on the cord is a valve adapter, it allows me to convert a presta valve to a schrader valve (so I can inflate my tyres at a service station, as long as they don't have one of those stupid electronic ones).

James

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Nov 2009, 07:20

Nada asked me to get some photos up of this a couple of weeks back. I finally got my act together and took some.

The new bag is made of a thinner material, so it is a better fit in the small saddle bag that I have. Because the material is slightly grippy, there is no need for the elastic at the top of the pockets, and Nada also did away with the velcro at the bottom.

Rolled up.

Expanded

These are a great little bag, a perfect gift for any cyclist who already has everything (especially with Christmas coming up).

James

Return to “Conversation”