Roller/mag training every Thurday 7pm at Tempe - have a go

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 Feb 2009, 10:07

Those of you who haven't tried it, why don't you have a go at roller/mag training tonight. All you need is a bike, road/track/fixie and turn up at Tempe Velodrome tonight (Thursday) at 7pm.

Fitness level doesn't matter as we are stationary, so no one gets left behind.

Session lasts for about 45 minutes followed by a few minutes stretching.

Rollers and mag trainers are provided and there's plenty to go around.

See you at 7.
Last edited by mikesbytes on 03 Mar 2009, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Feb 2009, 12:46

the rollers are really really really good for any one wanting to ride veledrome, then any one that wants to be on the motor pace, it improves your line, balance etc out of sight

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 Feb 2009, 16:01

BTW, its indoors, so it will be on rain, hail or shine

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Feb 2009, 10:04

We had a great team for rollers on Thursday night, there was;
- Step up Amy, who took the plunge to use rollers.
- Spin it up Michael who showed us not to bother with that piece of wood
- Roll em Dave who demonstrated how rollers are done.
- Aero Joanne, just because we are stationary doesn't mean we can't get an aerodynamic advantage.
- I'm no princess Camilla (not to be confused with the British royal family) who made sure that Amy didn't win the most personal moisture award.

We started the 5 minute warmup a little late, Amy got herself familarised with the rollers and away we went. Joanne was looking trendy with her music, while Dave was so smooth on the rollers that everyone forgot he was there.

Next was the 12 sprints, which are 40 seconds easy followed by a 20 second all out sprint. The expressions on everyone's faces showed that everyone was working hard. Michael and Dave missed 2 sprints, in Michael's case, it was due to adjusting the cleat tension and in Dave's case it was due to adjusting the cleat tension for one and an unexpected problem with the rollers for the other. At the end the 12, 2 more were added on for Dave and Michael to catch up, Joanne and Amy were over eager and did an extra one, so it was lucky 13 for them, Camilla was more sensible.

5 minutes rest and then it was time for 3 Heart Rates, which are 2 minutes 40 seconds hard riding, then a 20 second all out sprint and then 2 minutes easy riding. I'm pleased to report that all riders did the final 2 minutes easy riding.

I took everyone thru a few simple stretches to complete, that's except for Camilla who had to make a "phone call", well lets leave it at that... Stretches were done for Hamstrings, Quads, Glutes and Abductors (or whatever that muscle on the inside of the leg is called).

Everyone went home for a shower, well lets hope thats true.

So if your not going to Tassie or racing, come along next week.

Anyway, here's the stars of last night - excuse the dodgy phone camera photos, click for the biggie;

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 13 Feb 2009, 12:04

thanks for running it Mike it was a great fun even if the crowd was a bit smaller than normal.
the stretches at the end were a good idea so we all didn't go home and get stuck on the couch.

p.s where still waiting on the recording of that phone call Camilla had to make......

Michael.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 14 Feb 2009, 06:42

I did a roller session this morning, only 35 minutes, but still enough.

I also managed to achieve something which I didn't think that I would get anytime soon. No Hands. Not bad considering that my rollers are unbalanced, so they tend to cause you to jump around a bit at high speeds.

James

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Feb 2009, 09:21

Yep - rollers were great fun on Thursday, although after having no resistance....I am really feeling those muscles that don't get used alot. Some people commented at work that ......well let's say I was walking funny on Friday. Stretching was a really good idea at the end.

A bit disappointing no one from Randwick Botany turned up to race as although it looked overcast, the track was completely dry (Softies)....all of the DHBC C-Grade possy were ready!

Now Amy has stepped up to the rollers....I'll have to give it a try now.

For those trying to increase there fitness.....THIS SESSION IS FOR YOU! Just remember to bring a towel.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Feb 2009, 09:48

I did a roller session this morning, only 35 minutes, but still enough.

I also managed to achieve something which I didn't think that I would get anytime soon. No Hands. Not bad considering that my rollers are unbalanced, so they tend to cause you to jump around a bit at high speeds.

James
man i used to do no hands when ever i was tired, and it caused me to want to sit up when i was tired on the track! But yeah i think it may be good for co-ordination etc, just dont do too much hey!

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Feb 2009, 09:50

Yep - rollers were great fun on Thursday, although after having no resistance....I am really feeling those muscles that don't get used alot. Some people commented at work that ......well let's say I was walking funny on Friday. Stretching was a really good idea at the end.

A bit disappointing no one from Randwick Botany turned up to race as although it looked overcast, the track was completely dry (Softies)....all of the DHBC C-Grade possy were ready!

Now Amy has stepped up to the rollers....I'll have to give it a try now.

For those trying to increase there fitness.....THIS SESSION IS FOR YOU! Just remember to bring a towel.
man i totally out of sight cant wait to get back to randwick racing on thursday nights?! i cant beleive any one would not turn up?!
Every one should be going! its the most relaxed racing ever?!

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 14 Feb 2009, 10:03

Pissing down at my house at 6.15pm when i go to leave. So i decided not to go. Radar looked crappy as well.

Bucko rang me at 6.30 said it was raining and the track was pretty wet.

Thats why no one from RBCC was there. Bucko was doing the ring arond.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Feb 2009, 10:56

Pissing down at my house at 6.15pm when i go to leave. So i decided not to go. Radar looked crappy as well.

Bucko rang me at 6.30 said it was raining and the track was pretty wet.

Thats why no one from RBCC was there. Bucko was doing the ring arond.
It was one of those weird days with the weather. The track was completely dry at 7pm and remained so during the evening. Us DHBC riders are generally living closer to the track, so its no big deal to turn up and its canceled.

What you could do next time is turn up and if its canceled, do the roller/mag session with us.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Feb 2009, 15:23

Here's the team from last night (19/2/09). I instructed as well as participating.

Top to bottom - Jono, Anna, Alex, Michael, Dave

Click for the biggie

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 21 Feb 2009, 22:41

Thanks mike for running this weeks roller training. Ill definatly be back next week.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Feb 2009, 11:23

It's on again tonight. See you at Canterbury (Tempe) Velodrome at 7pm.

All welcome, just bring a bike, any bike will do.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Feb 2009, 17:29

im out for tonight, for both racing and training :(
too sick, im seriously coughing, and fealing dizzy as.
I wasnt training that well last night let alone racing tonight.
RAcing saturday to save for i guess.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 26 Feb 2009, 19:24

Me too. I was there in spirit but not in body. Thought it would be rude to cough a lung up on the floor between sprints.

I blame Simon.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Feb 2009, 10:30

Sorry to hear you guys/gals are crook. get better soon

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 27 Feb 2009, 11:20

Me too. I was there in spirit but not in body. Thought it would be rude to cough a lung up on the floor between sprints.

I blame Simon.
lol. That's a bit rude isn't it? I know that it probably was me, but lets not forget that it was actually James (t-bone) who brought it on tour with him, that's where I caught it.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 27 Feb 2009, 18:52

I ended up with the advanced tour mutated version once i got back to Sydney, but i seem to be slowly improving. I've even restricted my lung cough-ups to when i get home from work each day.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Feb 2009, 21:07

Yesterdays roller/mag training was done up the top so everyone could enjoy the nice evening weather and keep an eye on the RBCC Thursday racing.

Started off with Alex fixing the flat on big red, so expect to see another notch on the flat tyre comp. -Click on the pics for the bigges

Stuarts photo accurately describes how he felt

It doesn't matter what direction you take a photo of Alex, he would of been a model if he wasn't an engineer. Hang on models and engineer's are mutually exclusive.
Image.....Image

A rare photo of Dave on a mag trainer after he developed a flat on the rollers. after 2 heart rates on the mag trainer, he had bitten off his fingers and decided to do the last heart rate on big red back on the rollers. Did you know that SPD-SL cleats fit into Look Deltas :shock:

Anna was riding so fast that the camera couldn't keep up with her. Anna and Stuart did an extra heart rate when Dave did his catch up one at the end.

My first attempt at a self photo missed

But perhaps I should of stayed with the missed photo, lucky my hair stylist doesn't surf here, he would be shocked.

BTW, just in case you wanted to know what we did;
1. Warmup - 5 minutes
2. Sprints in seconds - 10, 15, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 25
3. Rest - 3 minutes
4. Easy riding - 2 minutes
5. Heart rates - 3 each consisting of - 2 minutes 40 seconds hard riding then 20 second sprint, then 2 minutes easy riding
6. Warm down - about 1 minute
7. Stretching - Stuart can report on that :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Mar 2009, 12:53

Is there someone else who can open up this Thursday?

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 03 Mar 2009, 15:16

I'd open up, but I dont have any keys...

timyone

Postby timyone » 03 Mar 2009, 15:58

as in emotionally? is this training session getting a bit like alcoholics enonomous?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Mar 2009, 07:47

I'd open up, but I dont have any keys...
Thanks Alex, give me a call and I'll drop the key over (phone number sent via PM)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Mar 2009, 22:08

So how did it go?

Return to “Conversation”