Heffron 12/07/2008

Road cycling & upcoming rides
othy

Postby othy » 12 Jul 2008, 19:25

After talking to Alex last night at RAW racing, and discussing how I hadn't been to Heffron in months since I did very poorly with the cornering and got dropped after 4 laps, I decided to go out and face some demons today.

I turned up way to early as usual and watched the E grade race, after I signed up for D grade. Alex showed with plenty of time to do a warm-up. He offered to follow me through some of the corners at speed and see if I was holding my line (what I got shouted at for last time I raced). We went out and did a few warm-up laps and everything felt a little sore from last night.

There was a fairly small turnout, which was to be expected with a Road Open on today. Cutting it fine, Tim L arrived with enough time for one warm-up lap. He got about 20m from the start line on his warm-up lap before breaking a chain. So it was just going to be Alex & I in D grade with around 14 other riders.

We waited at the start line for a long time while RBCC went through some administration announcements - it was pretty cold with a wind blowing and all the riders seemed to want to get the racing going.

Rolled out and the pace was high for about the first 6 laps. I was concentrating cornering and holding the wheel of whoever was in front - following their line right the way through. I stayed down the the drops for the entire race and I think this helped with the confidence and control of the bike - plus it felt more like my track bike which I spend more time on these days.

A few riders tried to breakaway but no one was willing to go with them and I felt it was too windy for them to succeed. No one wanted to do any time on the front and the responsibility always fell to Alex. He appeared to spend at least 50% of the time out the front after riders rolled off only doing a very short turn. I was trying my best to stay in the middle and avoid the front as my goal for this race was the finish and flush out some Heffron demons that have been haunting me. So I can't say I wasn't avoiding the front just as much as anyone else.

The pace settled until about 2 to go when a someone tried to go off the front again. It didn't work and only lasted for the straight. Alex had pulled hard to get on the back of this rider with another guy and then the breakaway guy just gave up, leaving Alex out there with nothing to show for it.

Everything looked like it was going to come down to a sprint and the final lap was quite slow as everyone prepared. Riders went from the last corner. I just pushed to stay with the group, jumping on Beanzy's wheel who had come from the back. I wasn't there to contest the final sprint - 3 or 4 riders made a good run of it from the back and that is where winners came from. Alex tried to pull in with them as they came past but all the time on the front was to be his downfall for this race.

I rolled in somewhere in the middle and was pretty happy to just finish the race. A lot was learned once again and I'm looking forward to making Heffron a regular event, now I've proven to myself that I can do it. Thanks to Alex for convincing me to get out there and try and all the work he did for the bunch.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 12 Jul 2008, 19:43

Sounds like you had a good race and learned a lot. Getting the sprint right is very tough. I've never been able to do it well. Who ended up winning? I imagine siting on Matty's wheel would have been tough going.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 12 Jul 2008, 21:04

My Race Report:

Conditions:

Wind - NE at about 30km/h making tough going over the back but some assistance down the main straight.

Avg speed: 34.6km/h by my clock.

Pace high for first part of the race. We were maintaining speed with C grade even gaining on them a little at times. Pace settled during laps 7-12 with the occasional surge that was generally quickly checked due to the wind.

A big surge on lap 12 or 13 but once again it petered out in the wind.

on the final lap, "liquidgas" guy attacked on the pimples, i quickly got on the attack with 2 others. I am not sure if we mae a clean break from the bunch, but anyhow the attack was spent by the netball courts. The bunch rejoined and things gradually wound up till about 300 to go when the sprint really started. I tried to put the hammer down but found nothing due to the previous small attack and i guess an energy sapping race for me with the wind etc. I am guessing RAW the night before does not leave me the freshest. I cruised over the line happy to finish.

When i am on song i reckon i would be one of the best wheels to follow, but caution i carry an "OVERSIZE" load and you need to go around me!!

The rider who one spent most of the time up the back with me but he did do a surge mid race some time. Graham who came second led a few surges but was cramping around halfway or so but recovered to fly home in the sprint.

Othy - you cornering was heaps improved, the track is teaching you good riding skills. Generally everybody rode pretty well today given the conditions.

See youse all next time at RAW or Heffron.

Beanzy

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Jul 2008, 11:11

Ok it turns out it might have been a joining link thing that broke, and i have a new one on. And yes i should have ridden this morning, but watched the tour last night instead.

Man im in the same position as Timothy with the cornering, hes probably alot better than me too, i once had a flat on a corner and the bike slipped out from under me, ive never really done many corners since, and still dont have heapsa confidence on them.

Man alex, to be a good track rider, you dont do too much time on the front. Chasing break away's is up to you though. And yeah i see why your interested in working out if we can ever do any :D Im probably not the rider to do any with you though, i could be the rider to lead you out there though.

Return to “Road”