Heffron 28-6-2008

Road cycling & upcoming rides
micklan

Postby micklan » 28 Jun 2008, 17:59

DHBC riders
Several: Fixed Gear, Damien, Chris R, Huw, Mat, Simon, (Michael G et al)

Noted
Simon: "my legs are sore"...(got 2nd B grade)
Huw: "I'm so tired"...(got 3rd B grade)
Congratulations - RAW/back to back with Heffron

Chris R - got a tyre blow out in C grade

D grade report
I came 2nd = $20 :D
Top weather, slight southerly. Good bunch for the race, no break aways, a few surges, did a few pulls on the front. Av about 35.5 kmph. Great sprint at end of race. Tom who had a flat tyre then rejoined the race won - good effort.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 28 Jun 2008, 18:16

It was actually a fairly easy day out, but generally the pain disappears when you get a place. I think it is was an 18 lap race for B grade but anyway I sat on the back till 3 to go and was feeling pretty good as a result. So I just cruised past the bunch on the straight and jumped into 3rd wheel waiting for the sprint. But I soon realized that all the guys at the front were really struggling to turn the pedals over so I just kicked up the pace slightly to see if my assumption was right and I was off the front breaking away without really attacking too hard as such. Huw on the other hand said he was thinking that since we had just pulled back a break it was the perfect time to go and that was when I went so decided to come and join me...

Once I saw Huw was with me I really put the pedal down and we were almost out of sight of the bunch instantly. Another bloke got stuck in the middle and decided he really had no option but to go with the move. Me & Huw initially did all the work but once he got some rest after bridging the gap he put in a few solid efforts to. Leading into the sprint we were at least a couple hundred meters up on the bunch and I led it out down the straight with Huw on my wheel near the finish line I heard Huw yelling 'go' go' and we got rolled on the line. Overall It was a great effort to stay away & I was much happier to lead out the sprint, take second and make sure we stayed away from the bunch than shadow box and get caught. Full credit to the chappie who beat us though, I was traveling so he definitely had a decent kick on him.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 28 Jun 2008, 18:47

DHBC riders
Several: Fixed Gear, Damien, Chris R, Huw, Mat, Simon, (Michael G et al)

Noted
Simon: "my legs are sore"...(got 2nd B grade)
Huw: "I'm so tired"...(got 3rd B grade)
Congratulations - RAW/back to back with Heffron

Chris R - got a tyre blow out in C grade

D grade report
I came 2nd = $20 :D
Top weather, slight southerly. Good bunch for the race, no break aways, a few surges, did a few pulls on the front. Av about 35.5 kmph. Great sprint at end of race. Tom who had a flat tyre then rejoined the race won - good effort.
Good ride from Mick L, D grade field was about 20, pace was high, but most including myself were there for the sprint finish. Gave the ol' singlespeed a whirl with a 53x16 (89.3") gear, finished about 7th, just ahead of Beanzy.

Seemed to be a bit of confusion re lap out rules, one guy rejoined the race 1.5 laps from finish, then promptly screwed on the pace. Also a couple interesting lines being taken by a few riders who must be racing for 'sheep stations', but all and all, a good arvo out.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Jun 2008, 18:49

Wow, DHBC clean-up, congratulations accordingly.

"Tom", was that big Tom?

micklan

Postby micklan » 28 Jun 2008, 18:52

"Tom", was that big Tom?
This Tom was wearing a Led Zepplin racing kit - a young chap

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 28 Jun 2008, 21:26

D Grade: Avg Speed by my clock 35.7km/h. i was also backing up after Raw track!!

As stated a few surges, no attacks. My first clompleted D grade race in a while.

Tom (led zepplin) was a clear winner in the sprint. Congrats to Micklan on 2nd place. You did a fair amount of work on the front, upping the pace a bit. Long sprint, started from about 400m out. I didn't have the legs and gave up bout 50-100m out.

I had to have a word with Tom after the race. It appeared to me he was out for at least three laps after getting a flat at the netball courts. We clarifie with the commisares as he was adamant he had only a lap out. It turns out after swapping a wheel he just went back out onto the track and circulated for two laps waiting for the Bunch to catch up, which is not quite the done thing. He did not report to the commisaires properly before rejoining the race. We are supposed to wait for the commisaires instruction before rejoining the race. This generally happens when the bunch is coming up the main straight. Tom also dropped back down from C grade because he sai he was getting dropped. Seems like he might just be between grades. he certainly seems strong enough.

With the other young lad rejoining the race a couple laps from the end it was a bit confusing.

A good race by all. Sorry i probably won't be there next week i might be in Gilganra for work. Should be there for Friday night though...

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 28 Jun 2008, 22:26

D Grade: Avg Speed by my clock 35.7km/h. i was also backing up after Raw track!!

As stated a few surges, no attacks. My first clompleted D grade race in a while.

Tom (led zepplin) was a clear winner in the sprint. Congrats to Micklan on 2nd place. You did a fair amount of work on the front, upping the pace a bit. Long sprint, started from about 400m out. I didn't have the legs and gave up bout 50-100m out.

I had to have a word with Tom after the race. It appeared to me he was out for at least three laps after getting a flat at the netball courts. We clarifie with the commisares as he was adamant he had only a lap out. It turns out after swapping a wheel he just went back out onto the track and circulated for two laps waiting for the Bunch to catch up, which is not quite the done thing. He did not report to the commisaires properly before rejoining the race. We are supposed to wait for the commisaires instruction before rejoining the race. This generally happens when the bunch is coming up the main straight. Tom also dropped back down from C grade because he sai he was getting dropped. Seems like he might just be between grades. he certainly seems strong enough.

With the other young lad rejoining the race a couple laps from the end it was a bit confusing.

A good race by all. Sorry i probably won't be there next week i might be in Gilganra for work. Should be there for Friday night though...
Re laps out in crits, Cycling NSW say in their rules:

'When a recognised mishap, puncture, fall or mechanical failure occurs the competitors involved may be entitled to one or more neutral lap/s (according to the length of the circuit) as determined by the Commissaire (before the start of the event) in which to resume their position in the race. A competitor who is granted a neutral lap shall return to the race at the same position or at the rear of the group he/she was with when the mishap occurred. Competitors who have been allowed a neutral lap/s shall not be penalised in the final classification. No neutral lap/s shall be permitted after approximately five (5) kilometres to travel to the finish. A competitor who is not allowed a neutral lap/s must make up any lost ground.'

Further more a crit is defined as:

'A criterium is a road race and should be held on a closed circuit not less than 800 metres and not more than 3 kilometres (unless approved by the Chief Commissaire).'

So from this, Beanzy is correct in saying that a rider must rejoin the race with the bunch that they had previously been with and therefore ride at race pace, rather than having an easy rest/recovery tootling around awaiting the bunch to catch up. The 'no neutral laps' from 5 km out to finish equals 3 laps at Heffron

Also explains why Beanzy did not get a lap out at the Waratah's last week, the race at WSID was a "Road Race" by definition and not a criterium as the lap length is 3.65 km - in excess of the 3 km maximum for criteriums. EC Raceway at 3.93 km and SIRC at 5.0 km would be similarly affected.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Jun 2008, 00:52

How do you obtain the commissaire's permission if you are on the other side of the course?

micklan

Postby micklan » 29 Jun 2008, 06:10

If its a flat tyre its usual to return to the start area to get a wheel, tube - like there's no support car.

What gets me is that these riders are fresher, it's only a 14 lap race - like the bunch has done x laps where as the punctured rider is on x-1 laps.
Last edited by micklan on 30 Jun 2008, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 29 Jun 2008, 10:49

Really he should have been DQ'd. From my knowledge, in criteriums you're generally allowed 1 lap out for a mechanical or crash, and need the commisaires permission to rejoin the race, which in Heffrons case is waiting at the start/finish line. Not too much to worry about anyway, Heffron is only for a bit of fun.

micklan

Postby micklan » 29 Jun 2008, 12:00

Not too much to worry about anyway, Heffron is only for a bit of fun.
True - it means a lot to some folk 8)

timyone

Postby timyone » 29 Jun 2008, 14:38

man ive been left off every ones lists! are you all that embarresed by me?! But yeah i had the first lap off :S i jumped on the bike and my chain came off after the first corner, i was trynna change gears, seriously whats with those things>!?

But yeah i got dropped as well, then with two laps to go every one caught me, and i did the last two laps with every one.
Man i totally need to practice rugning corners on a push bike!
I stuck on the back for the sprint, following people through to see how fast it was. I reckon i could go all right in the sprint, not sure about ever actually finishing a racethough! ive now not really finished in old e grade, old d grade, and new d grade?! One day i plan on finishing a race there :D

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 29 Jun 2008, 14:47

man ive been left off every ones lists! are you all that embarresed by me?! But yeah i had the first lap off :S i jumped on the bike and my chain came off after the first corner, i was trynna change gears, seriously whats with those things>!?

But yeah i got dropped as well, then with two laps to go every one caught me, and i did the last two laps with every one.
Man i totally need to practice rugning corners on a push bike!
I stuck on the back for the sprint, following people through to see how fast it was. I reckon i could go all right in the sprint, not sure about ever actually finishing a racethough! ive now not really finished in old e grade, old d grade, and new d grade?! One day i plan on finishing a race there :D
Hey Timmy, you don't need gears! Grab your track bike, throw on front and rear brakes and put a single freewheel on in place of the fixed sprocket. You'll fly...................... :D

Damian

Postby Damian » 29 Jun 2008, 21:39

My first race after a very looong time (last March I think). I was there to see if I could hang on and finish with the bunch. I could, and I did - mission accomplished.

I wasted a lot of energy letting gaps open up and having to close them, and need to get my cornering at Heffon a bit better. But I was satisfied finishing.

This morning's Waterfall run hurt though, I had nothing left in the legs.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Jun 2008, 21:59

Back on the topic of the lap out for mechanicals, my only victory until last Friday was in conjunction with a lap out with mechanicals, so for 14 months, I had the monkey on my back of not having a real victory. There is an argument that the interruption of the lap out counteracts any benefit in derived from riding 2k less.

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Jun 2008, 01:47

how far is a lap of that place?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 30 Jun 2008, 08:09

Wow. Some great results here.

Well done Micklan, Simon and Huw.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 30 Jun 2008, 08:29

how far is a lap of that place?
Heffron?

2.04 km, according to the RBCC website and the markings on the track itself.

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Jun 2008, 11:04

ok well im now dedicated to finishing a race at heffron!
I havent decided if ill continue to go up the grades with out actually finishing any of them :D is c much harder?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 30 Jun 2008, 11:09

ok well im now dedicated to finishing a race at heffron!
I havent decided if ill continue to go up the grades with out actually finishing any of them :D is c much harder?
Move up when you get a win

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Jun 2008, 12:29

man im on a role though, ive moved up each time, just not finished.
I think winning is over rated

micklan

Postby micklan » 30 Jun 2008, 15:22

There is an argument that the interruption of the lap out counteracts any benefit in derived from riding 2k less.
Indeed C grade promotion would be based on high, consistent lapage

williamd

Postby williamd » 30 Jun 2008, 21:04

Congratulations

Micklan ,Simon and Huw.

Mick you will be in C grade soon.

Don't finish Horizontal

micklan

Postby micklan » 01 Jul 2008, 05:47

Thanks Bill
When are we going to see you back down at Heffron for a race

Mick :?:

williamd

Postby williamd » 01 Jul 2008, 13:09

Mick

I am doing the Country circuit.

I finished the Coonabarabran to Gunnedah 110k/m on Saturday.

Went in the Gunnedah to Tamworth on Sunday got as far as Werris Creek where my legs were cramping so I caught the bus.

Might go out to HP this Saturday.

Going to Mudgee the week after.

Toff

Postby Toff » 01 Jul 2008, 13:31

Many riders will be over at Tempe this Saturday Bill for part II of the Omnium Series. You're welcome to race, but I think numbers will be down.

williamd

Postby williamd » 01 Jul 2008, 18:11

I might just go to CP instead with the slowies.

micklan

Postby micklan » 01 Jul 2008, 21:01

Hey Bill thats great your doing the country rides - good on you
From 2pm this Sat at the track instead of Heffron

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Jul 2008, 02:29

I think this confirms that we rode our way into A grade on Saturday. A white number is awaiting us Huw....

A Grade 20 laps 40.4km, Time: 1:02:09, Avg Speed: 39.0Km/hr, Avg Laptime:
00:03:06

B GRADE 18 laps 36.6km, Time: 00:55:24, Avg Speed: 39.4Km/hr, Ave Laptime: 00:03:05

I think if we had of had another 2 laps to ride the distance of A grade our average speed would have only climbed. We were travelling and not particularly weakening. I guess it's a lesson in what not to do if you want to maintain your handicap, the stats never lie. Great fun though!

Return to “Road”