Race Report: Heffron 21.06.08

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 Jun 2008, 18:27

Race report:

One of the things you learn when you get into cycling is that success comes to only a few people and it doesn’t take long to work out if you are or are not one of them. Before my race had even begun today the goal posts had shifted again. I signed in for D grade at the Heffron crits as per usual. Then 5 mins later the race marshal (Bucko?)came running after me.

Marshal: Adrian, right?, I’m putting you in C grade
Me: But I’ve never won a race?
Marshal: Yes, but did you 8 laps on the front the other week. You’re too strong for D grade.
Me: But I’ll have no chance of winning C grade
Marshal: Oh, you never know, remember that speed skater…what was his name?
Me: Yes I remember. Everyone crashed in front of him.

5 mins later on the warm up lap I caught up with Simon:

Me: Simon, you’re not going to believe this, they’ve bumped me up into C grade.
Simon: Yeah, that’s because you should be in C grade
Me: But I’ve never won a race.
Simon: That’s because you’re stupid and you can’t sprint.
Me: Oh, thanks Simon, I feel really great now.
Simon: Don’t worry, you’ve done a Grafton. That’s what really matters.
Me: Ok. I am feeling better now.

The C grade race was a lot faster. We were holding near 40km/h for the first 4 laps. Around lap 5, the decisive move was made. A breakaway of around 5 riders shot off. The main bunch hesitated, then I chased after the breakaway like a dumb dog. I got close to closing the gap then slowly watched them pull away. Eventually a small group of 4 formed a chasing bunch. We tried to catch them but they were far too strong. I rolled in around 7th or 8th, pleased that I’d finished the race.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 21 Jun 2008, 18:45

Don't feel too bad Adrien, I've never won a race at Heffron either, though i usually bump myself up into the next grade.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 21 Jun 2008, 19:36

Simon: That’s because you’re stupid and you can’t sprint.
I wouldn't use the word stupid, that's a bit harsh but if your going to ride seven laps on the front and try and drop the field to spite the comissionairs and win because they told you you couldn't well then you shouldn't really be angry when they decide you are too strong and put you up!

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 Jun 2008, 19:50

Sorry Simon. I should state that there are only the faintest of resemblances between what was actually said and what I wrote.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 Jun 2008, 19:53

Also, Micheal Glennon (almost DHBC cyclist, but registered with RBCC) had a big victory in D grade today. Well done Michael!

micklan

Postby micklan » 21 Jun 2008, 21:30

D Grade race report
Riders: 20? (D grade now starts off prior to the A grade)
DH Riders: Paul, Alex R & Michael L
[Micheal Glennon (almost DHBC cyclist, but registered with RBCC)]
Conditions: sunny, gusty southerly
Pace: kind off slower riding to start with, perhaps an overall average of 34 kph. There was a concentrated breakaway on the 3 or 4th last lap - it was communicated and no-one really took notice...(moreover, each grade seemed to be split up all over the place)
Paul led the race for a long time, same with Alex R who did a lot of work up front too.
I kept surging after the breakaway; glad to get another 14 laps under the belt. :x
Last edited by micklan on 21 Jun 2008, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 21 Jun 2008, 21:55

E Grade report :P

The three of us rode 10 warm-up laps. 8)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jun 2008, 00:24

Interesting report Adrian, I'm a bit busy at the moment, so I'll probably be losing a bit of bike fitness. But when I return, I'll incorporate your D grade feed back above into my strategy.

Michael L, did D grade break up because of the wind?

Stretch, I'm assuming you ended up on the podium 8)

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 22 Jun 2008, 01:27

Mick thanks for the almost DHBC tag. I last raced in C grade in March 2007 and was not able to complete the race. I thought that RBCC C grade from 2007 was D grade in 2008. Last year I was dropped by C grade in the 3 races I attempted. As we lapped the C grade leaders The three place getters might have been better placed in C grade. My only conclusion is that beards appear to be slower. Lindsay take note. Adrian it will be good to have someone to work with next week.

micklan

Postby micklan » 22 Jun 2008, 08:41

Yes, there has been a lot of riders promoted up the grades over the past six months e.g. Adrian to C etc.

Not sure how to ascertain that wind splits the bunch, Mike thats your theory. I think it's more the psychology of it.

My, I do like Heffron racing...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jun 2008, 19:33

Not sure how to ascertain that wind splits the bunch, Mike thats your theory. I think it's more the psychology of it.
When its really windy, the pack will often break apart.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 Jun 2008, 20:38

Glenno – It will be good to have you in C grade next time we race.

I'm not sure if you were going fast enough to lap the C grade leaders (check the lap times, but you would have had to have passed me). The main bunch really fell apart after the attack and many didn't even bother finishing the race. I was in the chasing group of 4 and I only saw A and B grades overtake us.

Also, take note, my beard is aero-dynamically shaven to cut the wind with 40% less drag. Its the lastest technology.
If you don't believe me, ask this guy.

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 22 Jun 2008, 22:24

I thought that the C graders we passed were the tail end of the C grade pack however when Bucko gave the three place getters their $ after the race he said we pass their leaders.

Don't know and I don't recall passing you either, but there were only three of us so who knows.

Next week will be a different story. I just have to turn up. 2 races in a row would be a record for me.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 23 Jun 2008, 08:17

D grade Avg Speed by my clock 33.5km/h. note i pulled out after 10 laps. Although slightly down on the "expected" the wind was more a WSW with the only real assistance in the lead up to the second pimple. so it was mainly a cross wind which can have a slowing affect on the bunches.

Wind was tough but the point where the bunch split up was the devastating attack at about the 9th or 10th lap. i was up the back of the bunch saw the attackers take off and realised there was not much point in flogging my guts out to catch. I was saving myself for the "Enduro" next morning with Waratahs out at Eastern Creek.

Return to “Road”