Bowral Classic - worth the money?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Sim

Postby Sim » 27 Mar 2017, 16:42

Hi all - like many of you I received an invitation to do an 'early bird' entry to this year's Bowral Classic - $195 for the 160km route if you register before 14 May. I enjoyed it in 2016 (it was my first ever event) but thought I'd ask ... why not just do an 'unofficial' version of it on a different weekend?

Think about it ... you wrangle up a driver to cart everyone's drinks and food supplies ahead of the bunch to the next designated refreshment stop ... another driver follows the bunch to be the sag wagon. Everyone chips in $20-30 (or whatever) for petrol. The event is mostly open road anyway (so riding conditions are no different), you're not fighting with another 10,000 cyclists and their families on the same weekend to get accommodation, and you finish the day with more drinking money in your pocket.

Thought I'd put it out there ...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Apr 2017, 13:02

Trouty & I will be doing this again this year but they've added 30k's on to the shorter route which is annoying. Right at my distance limit now at 120k's.

We'll be staying the weekend and doing lunch at Biota dining on the Sat.

Neilm

Postby Neilm » 10 Apr 2017, 15:41

im doing as i didnt make the last one due to a small fall but i have booked a small cottage from sat for 2 nights

Hack

Postby Hack » 12 Apr 2017, 22:30

Hi all - like many of you I received an invitation to do an 'early bird' entry to this year's Bowral Classic - $195 for the 160km route if you register before 14 May. I enjoyed it in 2016 (it was my first ever event) but thought I'd ask ... why not just do an 'unofficial' version of it on a different weekend?
I rode it last year and thought it was a well run event on great roads. I thought the traffic control on the open roads was brilliant, the communication leading up to the event second to none. For a first time event the organisation was second to none (to the extent that the didn't have my 'free' jersey and manage to express post me one a few days later - in the past I've had to remind event organisers about that sort of thing).

But at $195... I'm questioning it too. They are some of my favourite roads to ride on, but there is something about riding them on a chilly morning when you are the only bunch out there, and then finishing it off with a beer and steak at Berrima or similar.

Worth doing if you've not ridden the roads before.

Return to “Road”