Tour of Canberra Race report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 23 Sep 2016, 15:02

Hi All,

As you know, a few of us went down to Canberra for the Tour of Canberra aka National Capital Tour, including a handful of the #dhracing team. Details of the event with the course here : http://nationalcapitaltour.com.au/about/open-racing/

I was lucky enough to have taken out the C grade race. A few of you may be interested in what when on, what it takes to win, or generally just see some photos of us out on our bikes.... hence, the stage reports below. Hope you enjoy them!

Cheers,

Simon
Last edited by Strawburger on 23 Sep 2016, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 23 Sep 2016, 15:02

Date: 17th September 16
Venue: Tour of Canberra aka National Capital Tour Stage 1
Conditions: overcast, cold, breezy
Grade: C Grade
Result: 13th / 28, +10sec on GC

Report:

Coming into the Tour of Canberra after a big training block and reading into the stages on offer, I decided that this weekend was going to be a continuation of the block. Analysing the course, it would be three sprint finishes: a flattish kermese for stage 1, a hilly course with a finish 20 odd flat kms for stage 2 and a criterium for stage 3. Nothing much for a pure hill climber.

In the lead up, I focused on my TT's due to the state (elite which I'm riding in the masters division) and masters nationals in consecutive weeks the week after Canberra. The thinking was that if I could get away on one of the stages I might pinch a few seconds on the sprinters.

So, stage 1 and a 10 lap kermese. We rolled off under neutral and soon we were off proper. Most riders were keen to check the course out on lap 1. As we hit the back section, the hills were short and sharp... Perhaps this may offer me something! But what goes up must come down, the last 2kms were fast!

Attacks came and went, no one got away for long enough to worry about. Each lap someone tried to attack on the climb but nothing ever came of it. I found myself drifting to the back toward the rear of the bunch on the downhills but making my way up the front by the base of the climb.

This happened for 7 laps.

The commisaire's car came up on the hill on lap 7 announcing the race would be cut short! 2 laps to go... My plan was to attack at the base with 2.5 laps to go but it wasn't to be... Instead I changed plans and decided to hang on until the bell lap. More attacks on the 2nd last lap but we were all together for the bell.

Everyone was waiting... And waiting. But nothing until the base. Then it exploded! Lots went but the attacks were neutralised. I got to the front and heard lots of puffing. I was spent myself, but thought I'd have a go. I went and quickly had 20m, the pack hunted me down and caught me. As soon as they caught me I went again. This time they held my wheel. I dropped to the back out of the way of the sprinters. I rolled in 13th, same time as the winner. Time bonuses meant I was +10sec for stage 2.

dist - 56.4kms
time - 1hr 27min 53sec
speed - 38.5 km/hr avg (64.4 km/hr max)
cadence - 86 avg (137 max)
heart rate - 169 HR avg (187 max)
Power - 236NP

Comparing under garments... It's cold!

Checking it all out from the back

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 23 Sep 2016, 15:04

Date: 18th September 16
Venue: Tour of Canberra aka National Capital Tour Stage 2
Conditions: overcast, very cold, light drizzle for a short time
Result: 1st / 28, lead by 1:03 on GC

Report:

Got to the start area about an hour before, not knowing they pushed back the start time to 7:30am. Oh well, the extra warmup suits me.

On the start line, the commisaire explained the course. I turned to one guy confused, he said they had changed the direction. Sweeeeet! The course is now in my favour. All my preparations and plans would need to change. However, the 12 months of cursing, regrets, disappointment and strategising the winning move for next time had suddenly paid off. Of course, I tried to hide the happiness, but I still had to get a winning margin from the sprinters...

We were off in the cold. I had a few layers of clothing on including a rain vest, arm and leg warmers for good measure. The first few kms were easy, our comms car hadn't shown up so we were riding without guidance. It finally showed up only a few kms before the one lane bridge!

The easy descent followed Mount MacD. An easy 4-5% for 4.5kms. The bunch took it easy and only the big bloke(s) fell off the back. We then headed towards the Brindabellas, two 5% climbs and a false flat, generally uphill. At about 3kms from the turn around point, two riders went off the front. The bunch let them go, setting their own climbing pace. The breakaway turned with a healthy lead and the pack then decided to chase. I was cruising and lost concentration, soon enough I was off the back on the descent. Sheeeeet. Fortunately there was an uphill bit before the really fast 10km of false flat downhill, otherwise I would have been toast. I got on and sat on the back for the climb, scheming for a win ;)

The bunch started to panic as the two breakaway riders were getting too far ahead. They formed a paceline and attempted to pull it back. We were rolling at 50 odd km/hr. A Hunter CC rider came to the back and barked at me to start working, saying it wasn't a club ride. I had other ideas... I casually mentioned to him that I'm the one that can climb, I'll catch the leaders by myself, and that I have no issue with them being there thank you very much :) I don't think he was happy with that hahaha.

Onto the descent of Uriarra. I know this one well, having ridden it on at least a couple of dozen times. It's not easy pulling up for the sharp turn at the base at the best of times, let alone in the wet. I lost my nerve here last year, this year I held my position in the bunch. I told myself the race is there for the taking and be cool, there are no scary bits left. The breakaway was in sight. I made my way near the front.... When should I go?

The climb is in 3 parts, called the 3 sisters. Two steep sections, 9% for 500m each, with a small descent between them, then 6% for 1km.

I waited for the bunch to get over excited and red line. They did that on the first sister. As the bunch slowed for the 2nd sister, I attacked! I pushed out some mega watts and gapped the field. I turned around to view the damage and I watched the pack try to follow including Mr Hunter CC who was trying desperately to join me but no one had the legs. Phase 1 complete!

I caught the breakaway at the base of the third sister. The pack was still chasing but were a distance off now. I slowed for a second to catch my breath. I thought I'd be letting them think I was there to help plus the peloton thought I can be caught, so I jumped off the breakaway and went for it. I distanced one but the other held my wheel. Phase 2 complete!

Now I was thinking, if I stay away I have a podium. I can't win the sprint with this guy on my wheel so I'll try to ride him off my wheel... 10.5kms to go... Rolling hills. I have suffered so much on this stretch of road, my training rides have finished on these, usually about 110kms into the ride with me almost crying in the heat of summer. This time I was feeling fantastic. I had to draw on the TT training/suffering recently to put my well made plans into action.

2kms into the rollers and I could hear the guy clearly struggling to hang on, he was suffering with heavy breathing. I thought he was having a heart attack! I gave him hope "come on, just get over this one and we're home". Each rise I hit him harder than the previous one, checking to see if he was still there. Finally after the 4th attempt I broke him. It was now me vs the road. Phase 3 complete!

I got into an aero position and tapped out a good rhythm. I was starting to suffer myself, I was riding off feeling rather than stem watching, but a casual look at the computer suggested I should be easing off. I decided to not look at the computer much after that ;)

Each corner I positioned myself out of sight, hoping that the pack would give up. They weren't. I needed every second to defend on stage 3. I started to vomit, fortunately not over the bike!!! I kept going, knowing by previous painful rides how long there was to go. A had a quick glance around with 5km to go, the peloton was nowhere to be seen. 3km to go. Still nothing. Downhill from here to the finish line, it was that moment that I knew I had it in the bag!!! I eased off heading into the crit track/finishing loop, making sure I made the turn. Job done! I kept glancing around once on the track, seeing how much time I had. I rolled around the finish straight and gave everything in a sprint. It wasn't much. I crossed the line as they entered the track. I celebrated after crossing the line, making sure I had every second count for stage 3. The bunch rolled in 1:03 after I finished. The guy who sucked my wheel picked up 2nd place in a bunch sprint. Chapeau!

People were congratulating me, I had no energy to realise what I just achieved. I couldn't get off the bike. It was draining to say the least.

We hung around for about half an hour for presentations. The last time I won something there wasn't even a presentation, so I was pretty excited to get on the top step!

dist - 58.3kms
time - 1hr 40min 07sec
speed - 35.0 km/hr avg (69.8 km/hr max)
cadence - 88 avg (122 max)
heart rate - 158 HR avg (182 max)
Power - 246NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 23 Sep 2016, 15:05

Date: 18th September 16
Venue: Tour of Canberra aka National Capital Tour Stage 3
Conditions: very cold, constant rain
Result: 19th, win by 50sec on GC

Report:

All I had to do was to remain upright. It's in the bag. Congrats you've won. No one can take a minute in a crit. That's what everyone was saying. Hmmmm, everyone except for the other riders!

It started to really rain hard as we were starting. I'm not a crit rider. I was leading but could I hold on? I proudly had the leaders jersey on and hoped that I could pull something out of the bag.

20 laps of a course that looks more like a phallic symbol than a race track. Lots of bends but fortunately wide corners and a smooth surface.

The start was signalled and straight away two riders attacked. Crap! They can get me from here. No one else was interested in chasing so I jumped on the front and chased as hard as I could. 2 laps later I caught them. About 10 seconds after the catch his teammate went with a Nowra rider. Off I go again. I chased that down too. My legs were burning from the effort in the morning... Then more attacks by Vikings this time. I was starting to struggle and fortunately a guy who I was chatting to in the morning from RBCC came to rescue me. Thankfully he chased that one down. One more went but that was quickly shut down. Already we had done 8 laps. By my calcs, I could chase anything down under 10 laps, so all I had to do was to remain calm. The 9th lap came and went.

The rain was really teaming down now. Lap 10 passed and I was now in the survival mode. Remain upright and things will sort itself out. The pack slowed momentarily as I was counting the corners down. Just got to get through the next corner. Don't go in too fast. Don't pedal strike. Don't hit the front brakes. This went on for every corner. I slowly dropped to the rear of the field.

The bunch was in realisation that they were racing for the stage win. Attacks came and other riders shut them down. Lap 15 and I could hear the crowd cheering me on. Keep going! Adam Ward was in the bunch and turning around to check if I was ok. I said I may need you if it keeps surging. He hung around me to make sure I was ok. That was nice of him to sacrifice his chances to make sure I finished.

More attacks, more surging. More stressing about keeping upright. Lap 16... Lap 17... Lap 18... Bell lap. Relief, I survived!

The bunch really lifted and by the back straight I was off the tail. I knew from the previous stage that they needed almost the full lap to beat me. I kept it upright into the final corner and sprinted to the finish line. lost 13sec but I didn't care. I had won the GC!

dist - 24.8kms
time - 36min 12sec
speed - 41.0 km/hr avg (52.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 87 avg (116 max)
heart rate - 167 HR avg (179 max)
Power - 226NP

Getting off the bike, grubby!

Podium shot, winner winner chicken dinner

The interview

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 24 Sep 2016, 12:21

Great reports Simon! I even had a text from Mark Lacey saying "All he needs to do is stay upright" to win the GC! That's an impressive average HR in the crit ... Well all the reports really.

Return to “Road”