Road cycling & upcoming rides
rtb

Postby rtb » 06 Jan 2015, 09:05

Which rides start where this year
got a bit confused on Sunday
Robert

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 06 Jan 2015, 12:02

There has been no change yet. Sorry for the confusion. We are trying to settle on an alternative and will hopefully have that sorted this week but will announce well in advance.

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 06 Jan 2015, 15:17

Are you taking suggestions for this Eleri? Mine would be Wicks Park, corner of Sydenham and Victoria Rds. It's not too far from Marrickville road and it's mostly commercial space around so residents nearby would need to be extremely light sleepers to be bothered by the small amount of noise we make. Just my 2c.

ratzzzzz

Postby ratzzzzz » 06 Jan 2015, 18:21

I vote for north side of the Harbour Bridge!!!

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 06 Jan 2015, 19:46

I own a boat. Trying to be the good neighbour, I kept moving where I parked it whenever one complained, despite it being parked entirely legally and the boat being fully registered and oft used. I needed a parking spot that wasn't going to constantly be swamped in leaf litter and couldn't be parked in. Options weren't endless. My neighbours didn't care. They just wanted it away from them.

So I stopped moving it to suit my neighbours. They were hardly being neighbourly by asking me to move it all the time and showing zero awareness or care about my needs.

Take out of this tale what you will.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 06 Jan 2015, 21:16

Are you taking suggestions for this Eleri? Mine would be Wicks Park, corner of Sydenham and Victoria Rds. It's not too far from Marrickville road and it's mostly commercial space around so residents nearby would need to be extremely light sleepers to be bothered by the small amount of noise we make. Just my 2c.

Thanks. Good suggestion. I'll add it to the mix. Trying to find something that suits Slowies and has a safe exit and route, as well as somewhere free from neighbours is a bit of an issue.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 07 Jan 2015, 07:06

As mentioned earlier, another option could be the carpark behind the Gladstone Hotel at the corner of Marrickville Rd and New Canterbury Rd, D-Hill.
It is quite a large area and if we congregate closer to the hotel, we'd be a good 30 to 50m away from any local homes. Ironically, this area was the original congregation point for the DHBC from 1908. The foundation member, JC Paris had his bike shop and lived at 1 Hercules St, which backs up to this carpark and is about 50m from the back section of the hotel.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/1+ ... abdb61d851

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 07 Jan 2015, 11:32

Marc, I like the historical connection but I am not sure how safe I would feel at 6 am hanging around a car park out the back of a pub while I wait for some friends to arrive.

Also I would guess there are potentially people living above some of the shops.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 07 Jan 2015, 11:57

Also I would guess there are potentially people living above some of the shops.
There are - I have a friend who lives in a block of six or eight above the post office.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Jan 2015, 16:24

The Dulwich Hill post office is a long way from the Gladstone Hotel carpark which really fronts Canterbury Rd and is very open. Issue would be that slowies would have to ride down Marrickville Rd which is not going to fly I wouldn't think.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 07 Jan 2015, 20:14

I agree that Wicks Park is perfect as a start location for all rides. It's large, flat, near existing routes and won't bother any residents. Double Roasters cafe is also across the road. It opens at 6am if you're desperate for a caffeine shot before a ride.

I don't understand why you would choose different start places on different days / rides.

I think the Concordia carpark is a dangerous option. It exits near a blind corner for an uphill climb to a very tricky / busy roundabout. The Henson Park carpark has residents backing onto it, exiting onto Sydenham road where large trucks operate at all hours of the early morning.

My 2 cents.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 09 Jan 2015, 04:50

Thanks for all the suggestions. All were considered and all have some problems, particularly for Saturday Slowies getting out onto the road and the first few kms.

We've decided to leave all start points as they are - in Post Office Square.

But we will need to deal with the presenting issue, which is noise and to manage that through the cooperation of everyone.

Return to “Road”