West Head ride review (highly recommended)

Road cycling & upcoming rides
GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 27 Dec 2014, 14:29

So today I stuck the bike in the car & headed to Turramurra to meet up with my mate Dave who some of you may know to do the run out to West Head and back.

I've not ridden a great deal in that part of the world (1 Xmas adventure ride a few years back, and a few 3 Gorges loops) but what a glorious ride it is. Great road surfaces, some wonderful views, plenty of cyclists out and about (so the driving was brilliantly respectful), great bike lanes on the busy roads, both a good bike shop & cracking cafe at the start/finish and plenty of parking/next to the train station

It's not though an easy ride. Notably tougher than Waterfall in my opinion. It was only a 65km ride, but there's 800-1000m of vertical there (compared to 78 and 500 on Waterfall). Nothing brutally steep, but the rollers West Head offer are harsh and plentiful.

You could gnaw off a few km by starting in West Turramurra - Pentacost Rd your best bet I reckon.

Well worth a jaunt north if you fancy something different.

My Strava data for said ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/233229821

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 27 Dec 2014, 15:30

I have said this before and I will keep saying it.
West Head is THE BEST view in Sydney. Bar none.
Having a nice ride to get there and back just makes it even better.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 27 Dec 2014, 15:51

Toss in Akuna Bay as well. Gives you a genuine hill and the ride along Coal and Candle creek is glorious.

Return to “Road”