Kurrajong Classic 2014

Road cycling & upcoming rides
PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 21 Jul 2014, 15:36

This is coming up at the end of August and I've registered already. Are there any others interested in doing this? It will be my first road race as such and thought it might be nice to do it with someone familiar.

For those unfamiliar, I rode the course the other week and it's a good challenge, depending on how many laps you do. There's a good mix of climbing and undulating terrain, with a tiny bit of descending near the start. Plenty of breakaway opportunities that I could see.

Philip

Postby Philip » 21 Jul 2014, 19:27

That tiny bit of descending at the start scared the crap out of me.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 21 Jul 2014, 19:46

I'm in. Course should suit you Pete. I hope my descending confidence has improved!

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 21 Jul 2014, 20:29

I'll be doing it, more than likely.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 21 Jul 2014, 22:10

When do entries close? I might be keen if I can shift some weight for that climb. No probs on the downhills.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Jul 2014, 22:22

Nole, I've never made it up that climb with the leading bunch, but I still enter every year

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 21 Jul 2014, 23:19

I'm in if I can arrange some transport.

It's only an hour away. Gorgeous countryside. Roads can be a bit sketchy.

You need to be confident on the downhills in close quarters and be able to fly up hills. Hopefully I won't flat this time.

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 22 Jul 2014, 08:55

Great! Good to hear all.
@James - Ha Ha... your signature.
I'll be doing it, more than likely.

@Philip/Andrew - I've heard reports that descent can be scary, and there's been crashes. I just wonder how though? There's plenty of room from what I saw. Might be good to be at the front on that part of the course.

@Noel - I think there's plenty of time to enter. I just got in early as my lesson was learnt not registering for Nowra.

@John - If things look a little dicey on the descent I'll probably leave some room between riders. As for the flying up hills part, I'm still working on that part, got a month left! : \

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jul 2014, 09:08

The decent is OK, its straight. There's a lot scarier descents in RNP. I've been racing this for years and I've not seen or heard of a crash on the decent. And its not as bad as the decent in Ken Dinnerval

All of us will end up in C grade. What will happen is that it will split into 3 bunches going up the hill. The first bunch will work hard to stay away, the 2nd and 3rd bunch will work hard to try to catch. So it kinda ends up like a graded handicap

And its a day trip so no accom or meal costs

Johnboy, I can take you

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 22 Jul 2014, 23:39

I'm interested in this - is there somewhere I can find out more about it? Had a quick Google, but nothing much about this year's race

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 23 Jul 2014, 09:55

Hi Matt, Here's my Strava activity for when I rode the course recently: http://www.strava.com/activities/156488454
Ignore the first part, that was me just getting up to the loop and I only did one lap (anti-clockwise). The race will be 2 or 3 laps, depending on where they put you.

If you Google Street View the circuit you get an idea of the kind of terrain and roads. Alternatively, the event information page is here: https://eventdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm? ... rgID=20999

Hope this helps!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 23 Jul 2014, 10:30

My last years div 3 data FYI.

http://www.strava.com/activities/73766543

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 23 Jul 2014, 12:49

I think with the way the handicapping as been this year - some of you may find yourselves in Div 2, which is an extra lap. I'm doing this also - but the Womens road champs race, which is 99km :-).

Coota is the week before for some good training if interested - 120km on the Sat and 70 on the Sunday.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 19 Aug 2014, 10:21

I forgot to enter this by the Sunday deadline and the very nice people at CNSW entered me today.

I couldn't remember what I entered last year but I said Div 2 (three laps). And of course requested limit!

A wise move?

Are others Div 2 or Div 3?

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 19 Aug 2014, 11:19

I have no idea John. I guess I'll ride where they put me. I don't have an extensive racing record so they'll probably put me in a hardcore grade. Is there somewhere we can check which Div we're in?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 19 Aug 2014, 11:55

Oh dear john, I think you have messed up! Get onto them ASAP!

Firstly, kurrajong is a scratch race, second, we all raced div 3.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Aug 2014, 15:37

I forgot too, phoned Dean and hes put me in. Div 3

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 26 Aug 2014, 14:31

Just checked the handicaps for this Sunday.
I've been put in Div 2. All you other guys are in 3.
I'll be the guy blown out the back.

Philip

Postby Philip » 29 Aug 2014, 19:53

Any one know the kick off time?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 29 Aug 2014, 22:43

11am for div 3

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 30 Aug 2014, 11:40

Excellent, apart from the weather.

I've been sick during the week + had DOMS so I won't be much help for a lead out...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 Aug 2014, 17:23

Sorry for not fronting guys. Had to make the decision last night that I hadn't cleared the bug sufficiently and therefor wasn't race fit. Pity it's the first time I've missed it.

How did everyone go?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 31 Aug 2014, 19:40

James got the KOM! Liam got 2nd, loads of others up the front at the crest. A lot of us finished on equal time as tactically it was a bit of a mess up front, thus came down to a large group bunch finish. Top 3 riders didn't have their nose in the wind until the final 100 odd metres but what can you do. Everyone seemed to have a great day with many new PB's set!

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 01 Sep 2014, 10:00

Div 2 was hardcore. I decided I would just try to hang on as long as I could. A massive crash at 43km/h on the first lap rendered one guys wheel in half, but I managed to weave around the carnage and work my way back into the bunch breathing a (heavy) sigh of relief. Second time up the climb split the field and I found myself rounding up the stragglers and getting involved in the chase bunch. We ended up with about 12-15 guys working well together, but then I started to run out of steam across the ridge. I watched with dismay as they gradually got further away and I ended up soloing the last lap. I was happy with finishing in just under 3 hours, thinking I got last place, but cheered up slightly, upon checking this morning, I was 3rd last. Hopefully the handicapper takes note and puts me in Div 3 next year. Congratulations to all the others on their race, with solid times and finishing well together, and James on his KOM.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 01 Sep 2014, 14:10

hmm - 15th. Happy with that. Comprehensively exceeded my (perhaps too low) expectations. My goal was to be able to chase back on after the first time up the hill and complete one lap with the lead bunch. Very happy to have finished with the bunch and with something left in the tank.

Next years goal – make it to the top of the climb with the lead bunch.

Before all us young guys get too carried away with our awesomeness - a masters 10 rider came 25th. He must be at least 75 and was born no later than 1939 - so possibly a pre war baby.

So I’ve got another 30 years of this event ……

BTW - Two other masters10 riders finished the race.

Liamo

Postby Liamo » 01 Sep 2014, 15:44

Second time I'm writing this :x

I raced in division 3. The plan was to be with the first group over the second climb, I was going to do this by busting my bum to stay with the group up the hill the first time around and then not expend too much energy until the second time up the hill.

The race worked out differently from the two previous occassions I've completed it. In the past the race split up in two or three main rolling groups straight after the initial climb. The first bunch didn't get organised enough despite the best efforts of Simon (I think). Nearly all riders were back on soon after the hill. Second time up the hill with the KOM now on offer - James took out the KOM convincingly crossing the line 20 metres or so in front. I gradually made my way up to James but doubted my chances having seen him climb Audley. With 100 metres to go he was off and I was more then happy with my second placing. James was active later in the race being in a couple of breakaways.

On the second ascent Myself, James, Blake, Mark Simon (sorry if I missed anybody) were all climbing in the top ten. Well represented!

I spoke to a few people after the race who all said they still have energy left in the tank.. a good reason why the race was quite tense and a bit dangerous in the last 5k or so, too many fresh legs for the sprint! Roads were narrow with potholes, gravel on the side and riders crossing over the centre line - all contributing to a really enjoyable race.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 01 Sep 2014, 18:25

Compared to last year, the first descent was a cautious affair. I think we barely did over 55kph. The ascent was pretty slow, too, with no-one wanting to hit out too early. I did end up on the front with a guy from North Sydney. As he picked up speed, I suggested to him it might be a bit early for a hit out, and he agreed, and we sunk back into the bunch. Simon did a whole lot of work on the front, attempting to get things organised. The pace was way down on last year, and there was quite a bit half-wheeling and jostling going on. Maybe everyone was working through their cabin-fever after a rain-soaked couple of weeks?

We were a pretty feckless bunch, and whatever advantage our group had gained up hill, it was squandered on the flat. All the riders were back together fairly quickly. At about 25kms a small breakaway had gone off the front. There were a few riders in there who had done well on the first pass of the hill, so I watched them keenly. Actually, I was a bit worried about the fact the peloton wasn't shutting it down — on the other hand, most aren't thinking about the KOM, so they probably didn't care.

After another 5km, I couldn't stand it anymore. I knew we could chase them, but would need about 5kms of recovery before the climb. The window of opportunity was closing rapidly, but luckily a small gap opened to the right, and I found a path to the front. I passed Simon on the way, and said something heroic and particularly poignant, along the lines of, "C'mon, Simon". This was correctly interpreted by him to mean, "Follow me now because I am going to attempt to bridge this breakaway, as our chances at the KOM will dwindle considerably if they stay away." And then we sprinted. And sprinted some more. I think we were helped by a North Sydney guy, but I can't rightly remember. Whichever way, we dragged the peloton on, and spoiled the breakaway party.

The next descent was a whole lot faster, and we hit about 90kph on the way down. That woke me up. At the base of the climb I was a bit boxed in, but luckily Blake was just in front of me. I saw a gap open up in front of him, and I think I sort of ordered him into it (sorry Blake), which helped me get in front of the group (thanks Blake), and headed for the guys who were having a crack at the climb. These guys seemed to have gone out too hard, too early, and by the sounds of their breathing, they were suffering by the time I got to them.

I felt pretty good, and unusually had the temerity to wait until someone attacked. At the 1km to go sign (to the KOM) there were quite a few DHBC riders coming up. Liam was at my shoulder, but nobody went. At 500m to go we were still keeping pace on the front. I was hoping that I could hold this position until about 200m to go, but was really trying to keep an eye on anyone who might be on the attack.

Nothing was happening.

At about 100m to go, I dropped into a big gear and just tried to monster it up the hill. I rode like a man being chased by dogs (I have some experience at this), but I could feel someone on my wheel. I pushed harder and tried to get a good look at them. Whoever it was, I was going to lose too much speed craning my neck in their direction, and kept waiting for the blistering counter-attack that would see my KOM attempt dashed. It wasn't until the cruel 8% left turn that I got a good look behind me. There was no-one. I was pretty surprised to cross the KOM line first. I celebrated by dropping my chain.

On the rest of the final lap, the speed was pretty lumpy again. A Manly rider went off the front and was trying to solo out for the glory of his sponsor. On the other hand, I knew I would never be able contest the sprint, and if a few of us got off the font and around one of the many corners... well, maybe there was a chance; and if not, I had done what I had wanted to do anyway.

I went after the Manly rider. Soon we were joined by another, and another. Manly guy was well and truly in the hurt locker, but I tried to be as encouraging as possible. In the end there were about five of us, and we held a rather hopeless 50-80m lead ahead of the group. It was never going to last. We finally had a rather spirited bloke bridge and try and whip our withering motivations into shape. We did a half-hearted pace line, and at about 5km to go, we were consumed by the bunch. Finished with the group, all on the same time. 30th.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 01 Sep 2014, 21:18

Great write-ups guys. A frustrating race for me. I really could have done with another lap.

I tried to race smarter and not do a lot of the work on the front.

I basically sat near the back of the lead bunch the whole way except after the climbs. It was pretty easy to catch the few guys after the climbs. They didn't stretch themselves and take full advantage.

On the brakes a lot on the downhills, no way through the big bunch. And on the brakes a lot during the race with lots of unnecessary stop / starting effect.

At the finish it was a free for all with lots of riders crossing over the centre line for the final sprint. I stayed in the left lane as instructed by the officials before the race.

I finished with lots of beans left - could have pushed a lot more at the end but got boxed in.

I asked the officials after the race whether it was allowed that riders were on the wrong side of the road at the last sprint. Would they ever be disqualified. 'Not really' was the response, 'it's your own risk - you are responsible for your own safety.' Oh, ok I'll remember that for next year - basically do you want... Not really the response I was expecting. Either it's a rule or not.

I suggest some team tactics next year to get a DHBC rider over the line first.

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 02 Sep 2014, 11:53

Sorry to hear you were frustrated with the race John.

You wanted another lap?! Keen! That would sort the men from the boys. I found 2 laps quite comfortable too, but the third time up the climb reminds you of the first two pretty quickly. You'd need your mountain goat legs on for it to get a breakaway.

I agree some team tactics would be fun, but we'd all need to agree on who goes for the win, and who would be the ones working for that person. This decision might be tougher than the actual race...

blah

Postby blah » 02 Sep 2014, 14:05

> I saw a gap open up in front of him, and I think I sort of ordered him into it (sorry Blake)
I'm very glad you did! I thought it was jonboy actually, but someone had to do it. It was only my second road race, but the DHBC contingent helped me out considerably every step of the way. Strawburger, Mark Lacey and jonboy also gave me a lot of valuable advice, pointers and the occasional timely order throughout the race. Thank you all.

For me the race was more about surviving in the big bunch than any notions of unattainable glory. The speed variations seemed quite chaotic to me - there were a lot of ripples where I was sitting - and due to my inexperience, it took a lot of concentration for me to negotiate safely. I was a bit of a bunch bludger, just watching and trying to learn how it all works. I think next time I'll have to make up for it and do a bit more work. I like the idea of DHBC working to get a rider over the line, count me in for the next race as a soldier for that cause. I'm too inexperienced right now to really care about my own results (other than not totally sucking) and I'd rather see the win come to the club than not.

I felt much better than I expected after the first lap, which I guess makes sense if the general sentiment is that the pace was down. I decided I felt comfortable enough to have a crack at the KOM. I wasn't fast enough, but I was happy with my effort and very happy that I even had the chance to consider making a tilt at it. I managed to get among the front three or four riders early and I was feeling good, but that didn't last. About halfway up a small group came up past me. I was glad to see DHBC well represented, but when I tried to bridge I blew up. I'm pretty sure I pulled one of ours up to the front group with me because I could see a flash of red right on my wheel when I made a brief head check and the same flash of red breeze past me when I died with a few hundred metres to go. Perhaps the effort wasn't totally in vain after all, but the corner sorted me right out.

I think I was in the front 10 or 15 at the KOM line (no results for this on the CNSW website?) but I was so gassed I couldn't get back up to speed and nearly lost the front bunch as it went past me. I was stuck about 20m behind for a while just trying to clear the lactate and catch my breath. Just as I was about to give up, one of the marshalls rode up beside me to shout words of encouragement, which actually really helped. Perhaps this is cheating. See you in court ;)

I found it strange that nobody seemed to drive us forward as we approached the finish. The speed didn't really seem to pick up much, and the riders around me got more and more antsy trying to jockey for positions that weren't really any more or less advantageous than the ones they left. Someone slammed on the brakes near me at one point a few km out, caused quite a bit of colourful language from the poor sods right behind him. I had worked my way as far forward as I could manage in anticipation of the peloton stretching out, but that just didn't seem to happen. I felt like I finished with a sprint's worth of gas in the tank. Also unsurprising to hear I wasn't the only one.

Can't wait for the next one!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 25 Jun 2015, 09:36

Looks like the Kurrajong Classic has been removed from the calendar this year. It was in, then updated with new venue, then changed to elite, u23 and women's nsw champ races only, down at Marulan :(

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Jun 2015, 16:41

Bummer

Your message contains 6 characters.
You need to enter at least 10 characters.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2015, 22:16

Kurrajong is only cancelled for this year, the main reason was scheduling conflicts. Expect to see this race on next year

Return to “Road”