DHBC Cycling Camp

Road cycling & upcoming rides
GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 03 May 2014, 17:46

Lo All

So I was recently up in Townsville for short holiday, and came away a little blown away by the quality of the cycling. The roads are great (good surfaces and nice & wide), traffic is amazingly light, there's a rapidly evolving cycling culture developing (there's bunches aplenty on the roads) and you can now get decent coffee relatively easily. The town has also come on leaps and bounds - it was a little daggy and backward 10 years back, but it is now a genuinely lovely city.

It's also wonderfully warm, even in winter. I lived in Townsville for nigh on 15 years and never needed any more than shorts through the day. The winters are also dry season up North, and rain is close to non existent.

So while away I came up with the idea of holding a DHBC cycling camp up there, escaping the winter, rain and mad traffic down here and laying down some good km in a rather nice cycling environment.

So I took the idea to the committee on Thursday night, and it seems the idea of a DHBC cycling camp is not a new one, rather one that hasn't before gotten off the ground. So I volunteered to surveil the good folk of the DHBC and see if there is an appetite for such things.

Now it's more complex than, "are you interested in going to Townsville?". As I said this idea is not a new one, and a few versions have been discussed over the years. A few other possible destinations include the South Coast (around Jervis Bay), the Snowy Mountains and the Southern Highlands (around Bowral). Another big question is how hardcore is the camp striving to be? It seems some people would only be interested in such a camp if it was quite focused and hardcore (a true training camp): lots of km, professional coaching, lectures on nutrition, stretching, etc; others though would prefer a far more relaxed version, yes plenty of km, but perhaps less formal and more social and nutrition discussions are limited to ordering a round down the pub.

So I've concocted this survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6FKRBFP to perhaps elicit such things from the wider DHBC. It's only 7 questions, so it doesn't take long.

I've also touched on accommodation options and involvement of the NRS in the camp.

I've deliberately not included a question on cost. Keep cost in mind though when answering the questions. Obviously a longer camp in a more far flung locale with private accommodation and a more technical approach to the training with professional coaches will prove more expensive than a shorter, communal, less formal style trip

There are too many variables to cost up every option at this point. Just so people have a ballpark idea, A Townsville option with a more social flavour would probably run approx $900-1000 for 6 days/5 nights (including flights).

Cheers

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 06 May 2014, 18:45

Lotsa thread views, a lot less survey responses....

It only takes a minute to do the survey guys.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 06 May 2014, 20:24

Greg,
Sorry for not doing the survey yet.
I'd love to go on a cycling camp but my issue is I'm already using just about all my leave passes for the year for the NSW Team Time Trial & Sassafras road race in Nowra, Fitz's Challenge, Alpine Classic & 3 Peaks. There's also a L'Eroica in Noosa in August I'd like to attend.
Believe me I'd love nothing better than to stay in a house in the country and ride my bike for hours every day.
Have a great ride,
Peter
PS now I'll do the survey :D

Jxenos

Postby Jxenos » 09 May 2014, 13:48

Survey done!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 May 2014, 14:55

For me .. too far away and not enough holidays coupled with it being in QLD - I did the survey though :-)

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 09 May 2014, 21:37

Nothing is carved in stone yet. Timing, duration, format, location, etc. Hence the survey

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 May 2014, 21:53

I put the link on Facebook. Hopefully some more feedback

Return to “Road”