Tour Down Under 2014 - What goes on Tour Stays on Tour

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 26 Jan 2014, 23:32

So there was the biggest contingent of DHBC members that I have seen. We were well represented by
Jo, Julian, Andrew, Anthony, Trevor, Charles, Ali, Peter O'S, Gi, Robert, Anna, Lizanne, Donna, Simon, Bill and Tom Bolton, Chris, John, Greg, Keith, Rachael, William and Douglas (who else was there? Who have I missed?).

I am sure you all have some/ stories to tell. What was the highlight for you? Did you meet any riders? What ride did you do that was the toughest, most fun or scenic?

Post them here for your Club Mates to be envious of your exploits.

Who's up for 2015?

Cheers Dougie

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 27 Jan 2014, 21:43

My 2 cents:

*One of the best single sporting events I've ever been to (and I've been to a few, just quietly). Great atmosphere among the spectators (plenty of friendly banter and chat), but also amazing access to the riders and course. People were still riding Willunga 15 mins before the pros came thru - imagine having a kick around on the MCG 10 mins before the Grand Final bounce.

*I was sans bike this time round, but you can still have lots of good fun and get around without taking one. I would though say taking a bike and riding though is recommended (and Adelaide looks a great place to ride - lanes and paths aplenty, pretty damn flat). Hopefully I'll fix that next time.

*Sue (the better half) is not a cyclist but quite enjoys the Tour de France on the telly (so has an interest, but is miles from hardcore). She enjoyed it immensely. So you need not be an hardcore aficionado to enjoy it.

*We went to the Barossa for a day, and that has it all over the Hunter as a wine tasting experience. Loads of little towns (and cafes & pubs) dotted among the vineyards, and it's much closer to Adelaide than the Hunter is to Sydney. Even if you're not a wine snob, worth going to visit Maggie Beer's Farmshop. Dead set stunning and great food.

*Adelaide has a bad rap. It's a very pretty place, and (good coffee and good boozers seem plentiful. Food is probably a notch or 2 off Inner West fare, but still entirely acceptable.

In terms of rider meetings in got a quick pic with Gossy before Stage 5. Outside Cadel he's probably my favourite Aussie rider. Hope he has a big 2014 after a couple of disappointing seasons Image

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 28 Jan 2014, 10:24

Tour Diary: My Highlights

Stage 2
Meeting Gracie Elvin for the obligatory photo shoot in Prospect. Hanging out with 13 other DHBC riders. Going the 'shortcut' to Stirling with Julian which happened to be a sharp climb reaching 22% in parts (says Strava). Catching up with Keith in Aldgate. Strawberries and Ice cream in Mylor. Seeing the riders bunny hop the roundabout (no bunch calls in this peleton).

Stage 3
Getting a photo of William Kirkham and Jens Voight in Norwood. Seeing Omega riders casually sitting in Cibo waiting for their coffee. Riding the Corkscrew without stopping in 37 degree heat. Meeting the Bolton family and others at the top. Hanging out with Andrew, Dougie and Alison on the Corkscrew waiting for the peleton. CADEL!!!

Stage 4
150km ride from Unley to Victor Harbor as part of the BUPA Challenge. 10km climb at the start but up the Expressway not normally open to cyclists. Front page news the following day for the horrendous traffic jams caused. The view at Myponga dam. BUPA jellybeans. Donuts at the finish line. The company of Dougie for 130 of the 150km.

Stage 5
Willunga! A 50km ride to McLaren Vale all on bike path. Willunga hill with 5000 other cyclists. A lift home.

Stage 6
Getting sunburnt on Adelaide's streets willing Cadel to a tour victory. Alas, it was not to be but an Aussie win for Gerrans all the same.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 28 Jan 2014, 10:46

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 29 Jan 2014, 16:56

Tour Down Under 2014

Where the Bloody Hell Were You?

A monster contingent of DHBCers ventured south for the annual TDU this year. So many that I have no doubt that the ranks of the Weekday, Slowies and Waterfall Rides would have been decimated. More than 20 riders participated in the activities held during the week. Among those whom attended there was a good mix of old hands and first timers. For my family and me, this was our fifth visit. I am in no doubt it was the best edition we have attended.

We arrived at Lunchtime on Sunday. I barely had time to reassemble bike and chill a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc before my Limo arrived to whisk me to a Corporate Box for the People’s Choice Classic that afternoon. Clearly in my case it’s not what you know, but whom. I am really not that smart! We arrived well in time to see the support race of the Santos Women’s Classic (first of three stages). Our own Lizanne Wilmot lined up alongside Australia’s best female bike riders for what turned out to be 40 minutes and 3 laps of absolute carnage.

The race was “on” from the gun. GreenEDGE AIS shot off the front and dragged everyone with them. The field was stacked with a myriad of riders from the Protour contenders to some weekend warriors. Just prior to the end of the first lap and about 300M from the finish line that carnage I eluded too erupted at a tight corner. A solid pileup took out what looked like 10 or so riders and split the field. Lizanne, although still rubberside down, was held up. All hopes of getting back on to the lead group disappeared down the road at 40+ kph dressed in stylish lycra. I think at that point GreenEDGE decided that some pain would be dished out. The hammer may have been velvet covered however it was well and truly dropped.

Yet again the tight corner caused more accidents. Chatting with my inside contacts later that afternoon I was informed that the road had been ground that morning and left quite dusty. Pretty average really. Further I am told when this was reported to Mike Turtur the Race Director his response was “Professional bike riders, it’s just poor bike handling.” Umm, ok.

My lasting memory of the women’s race was rider number 29. This lady was sporting her club colours. She was lapped twice. Her face had that look of sheer, unmitigated horror on it that comes from discovering you have all the gear but no idea. I am confident that if she’d had access to a pair of red shoes and a yappy little dog named Toto there would have been more heal clicking that a Charleston Dance competition. To her credit she finished the race. Last I heard she has taken up water skiing.

Later that evening the support race to the Women’s event wheeled out onto the track. The fellas all gave it a red hot go. I was well positioned in the peloton, tucked in neatly between the beer fridge, the food and the big screen. We even managed to squirrel Lizanne in to see the boys race.

Monday was a rest day for the pros but not for the likes of your correspondent and some of the intrepid members of the bunch. The call was put out that none other than Phil Liggett wanted a ride. We assembled at the Hilton for a 7.30am roll out with Phil (and maybe a few others too). After regular stops for photos we found ourselves in Glenelg with Mike Tomalaris ready to address the throng. Mike had arranged for Team Sky to turn up for a ride and yes, including Richie Porte. Pretty cool I say. We got a couple of good photos and Mike was kind enough to ask after Eleri and generally give DHBC a very positive rap. Good on him I say!

Tuesday was Stage 1 and it is traditionally set in the Barossa Valley. I heard the Helicopters from where I was lunching at Maggie Beer’s Farm but the only thing I saw was my plate and the inside of a wine glass. Before the family and I drove up to the Barossa we churned our way through the Adelaide Hills with 800M of climbing across 40KM of riding. The Boltons by three, Trevor and a fellow from Sydney CC all enjoyed the 10KM descent back down the mountain. The smile made the climb worthwhile.

Tuesday night we headed over to Prospect for the street party. We watched Lizanne race and managed to get on Cycling Central. Keeping DHBC in the news.

Wednesday the race was back in Adelaide. A large group of DHBCers enjoyed the atmosphere at the Stage start in Prospect and then took on the solid 10KM of climbing up to Stirling with a shortish descent through Aldgate and on to Mylor. We were able to see the Bunch a few times as they zoomed past. All the little Hills towns had wonderful and fabulous value for money food stalls going. I had a sausage sizzle in one hand and locally grown strawberries and cream in the other. Oh and the coffee was pretty awesome too. The locals we so happy to have this extra money spent into their local economies that they really turned on a great event. I didn’t witness or experience anything but great hospitality everywhere I went.

I think I have mentioned in the past that after the Stirling finish it is not unusual for the Pro’s to ride back to the Hilton amongst all the nufnuf riders. Young Tom Bolton hadn’t send a said a great deal in the prior days however he reported that he held Richie Porte’s wheel all the way back. His smile did all the talking necessary.

Thursday was the kicker! The Bunch had swelled in numbers and had decided to soak up the Start in Norwood. The Pro riders simply jumped the fence and stood in line at the Cafés to collect their Piccolos and Flat Whites. It all seemed so natural that all the interactions were dignified and respectful with no crowd crush at all.

My Son (and Club Junior) William got his “Shut Up Legs” t- shirt signed and a fantastic photo with his hero Jens Voigt. Jens is all class. He had more attention than any rider including Cadel. He dealt with everything and everyone tossed at him. He then totally animated the race through his attacks. He will be sorely missed. People are saying Adam Hansen is the new “Jensie”. The Peloton needs an athlete like Jens, maybe Adam is that athlete.

Once the riders rolled out the Bunch moved off toward the beautiful Gorge Rd and the famous Corkscrew! The day was turning decidedly hot. 37 degrees would be temperature on the Climb. We filled up water bottles as the great unknown of what, if any support would be at the top of this mythical road. As it turned out not many of the bunch had ridden Gorge rd before. The road is quiet and the scenery a delight. The road tracks along the valley floor before reaching the one horse town of Castambul. A few hundred metres before Castambul there was a tiny, little turn to the right. If you blinked you would have missed it. I wished I had blinked. We turned in and were lulled into a false sense of security by this deceptively flat and leafy road. Little did I know that only 800 metres away lay the steepest thing I have ever seen with tar on it. I think that even the Bolton’s shifted a little on their seats. As for the rest of us, there were some well-articulated concerns regarding the gradient and length. Suffice to say, I swore, a lot. I hit the base of the first ramp and promptly blew up. My Garmin reported 36 degrees C and I figured that as I was supposed to ride 160K the next day I might just roll to a halt on the wrong side of the road under a tree and allow my heart rate to drop below 180bpm. In under a minute I was away again. I finally crested the hill at an average of 8.7kph and 17mins. By comparison Cadel did it in the big ring at an average of 24.5kph.

Fortunately for our intrepid travellers the Local RFS had a sausage sizzle and drinks for sale. I reckon they could have tripled the price and still have sold out. We had a long wait for the Peloton to come through so their presence was well received. We decide that we would ride back down a little way and secure a shady spot. We stopped on the outside of the road about 250m to go to the KOM. Luckily for us we were well positioned for a long camera shot as the stars rocketed around the corner. More TV time for your correspondent. Our jerseys certainly make us easy to spot. Once the bunch had passed we took to the roads again. The descent back down to Adelaide was super quick and super fun.

Friday rolled around and the BUPA Challenge staged on the same course as the Pros. Plenty of DHBCers amongst the 6,600 riders. A big shout out to Keith, Jo, Charles, Andrew, Alison, Julian, Trevor, Anthony, Chris, John, Gi, Robert and Anna all ably supported by a couple of local riders to keep us company.

As usual very few riders worked together as a group. You’d get into a groove then it would all blow apart. Jo, Julian, Anthony, Matt, Gi (sometimes) and I did work well together with Anthony and Matt pulling much of the way and Julian scurrying off into the wind.

I was certainly fitter than last year and averaged 28kph in 5hrs 32 mins of moving time. Total climbing for that ride was almost 1,700metres. So all in all I am very happy with my result. As always the ride is very very well supported. The scenery was stunning. This was a vastly superior ride to last year. Keith really smashed the ride and then most of us rolled in within 15 mins of one another. Kudos all round!

As if that wasn’t enough Saturday and Stage 5 saw us saddle up once again for a ride down to the McLaren Vale. Jo, Alison, Dave (a local mate of Jo’s) and I trekked south via mostly bike path to the McLaren. After a mostly very easy ride we rolled into Main St about 15mins before the Peloton rolled out. From there we went our separate ways until coming back together to climb Willunga Hill. On the Hill and on the TV, yet again DHBC played a staring roll. Spotted, to Greg and his wife Sue, Julian, Andrew, Chris and John, Alison, Jo and I as well as Julian and Keith. Jensie rolled through the crown with high fives and wheelies. Totally rocking the hill. Richie Porte looks incredibly strong and will be very hard to beat at the Giro in May.
Once it was done we all went our separate ways again and headed home.

On the last day I decided on a quick Hills Hitout with another trip up to Mt Lofty via a different Climb. The Greenhill rd climb is just as long and just as tough as the others and just as much fun.

All in all for my fifth TDU this edition was bay far and away the best. I hope that they keep the same dates and don’t move it to February. If you were thinking a cycling holiday and France is an ocean too far at this stage the Tour Down Under might be for you.

Who’s coming next year? Go on, you know you want to!

See you on the road

Dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Feb 2014, 09:22

2015 - SW France & NE Spain are calling so no holidays for the TDU but love your reports Dougie ..

boltonfamily

Postby boltonfamily » 03 Feb 2014, 21:36

Apart from your awesome guided tours each day Dougie, the amazing level of access to the pro riders was one of the highlights for me. Having Jack Bobridge whistle in my ear as he squeezed through a non-existent gap between me and a bus on the way back from Corkscrew and Campbell Town was a favourite moment for me. Tom loved following Richie Porte down the long descent from Stirling as you mentioned, and Bill got a great selfie with Adam Hansen at traffic lights!

Together with the Hocknells we stayed at Flinders University accommodation about 10kms south of the city. This worked well and was pretty inexpensive.

Seriously Doug, thanks for the intro to Adelaide riding and the TDU social scene.

Return to “Road”