How did the Rapha DHBC team go today? Anyone heard?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 09 Nov 2013, 16:06

Perfect day for a Rapha Ride. Hope our guys (and girls Jo) had fun

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 09 Nov 2013, 16:49

We were hot!

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 09 Nov 2013, 16:49

Jo is a legend.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 09 Nov 2013, 17:26

It was a hard slog as the weather got hotter and hotter and we started to run out of water. A lot of riders (ourselves included) were craping up over the last 30km and pulling over to the side of the road. Some were being pushed along by teammates. We averaged around 27km/h which was faster than we thought although we didn't set any record. The course was a revelation with always beautuful river road and there was an excellent gravel climb up Laughtondale Gully. All in all, it was a fantastic day. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go in a challenging and only slightly competitive 'race'

Philip

Postby Philip » 09 Nov 2013, 18:42

we were so hot, we were smokin'!… and the beer was excellent.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Nov 2013, 09:33

Sounds like a challenging day out.

Hello Adrian ... I'd suggest an edit to the line " lot of riders (ourselves included) were craping up over"

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 10 Nov 2013, 11:02

I felt like craping up all over on ocassion.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 10 Nov 2013, 16:36

:oops: :oops:

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 11 Nov 2013, 07:39

'Rapha Gentlemen's Ride' by name and 'Gentlemen's Ride' by nature. What a long, tough, hot day, but made that much better with the company and scenery.

Our team of Philip LM, Andrew M, James R, Adrian E, Peter B and myself left Montview Oval in Galston at 7:25. Teams were being let go at approximately 3 min intervals from 7am all the way until 8:30am. We had decided to wear Rapha gear in a cunning plan to make the marketing material for next year.

The first 10km? Galston Gorge. We kept a steady pace up the hill in an effort to not burn our (my) matches early. According to Strava it was my fastest climb of the Gorge so maybe we weren't going that steady!

From there we then wound our way down to Sackville on the Hawkesbury. We passed one team on our way who were all over the road and just as we were trying to pass them we turned around and a MACK truck was bearing down on us. Made things interesting for a few hundred metres but we were able to re group after the truck had passed. 2 teams passed us after I lost my chain but thank you to Adrian for a speedy fix (nothing like having a bike mechanic on your team!).

The next stretch of the ride was all along the beautiful Hawkesbury. It was either too early for the speed boats to have started up or their owners were all still in bed but either way it was peaceful and serene. But the temperature was steadily climbing and our water supplies were running low. I had also decided to wear arm warmers as a way to prevent tan lines but this proved to be a big mistake! I had no choice but to take them off and with no sun cream I had to accept I won't be wearing singlets in the foreseeable future.

We reached Wiseman's Ferry, approximately the halfway point, at about 10am and I've never seen so many cyclists drink so much Coke in such a short time. There were about 3 teams already at the takeaway shop and more arriving as we watched. We refilled drink bottles and finished our Cokes before hopping back on the bike.

It had been forecast rain for the ride and we'd been warned about the climb on gravel roads out of Wisemans, Laughtondale Road. I was most worried about climbing on gravel in the rain but it would appear I needn't have given it a second thought. It was easily the hottest part of the ride, some Garmin's reading 40 degrees, and I had finished another drink bottle by the top. Here, thanks go to James Rogers for keeping me company up the climb. After I insisted he go on ahead and I would meet him up the top he said 'No that's fine, you just have to listen to me ramble all the way up'. According to Strava, I was 13th of 20 females who climbed the hill on Saturday. But I will claim that I beat Gina Ricardo from SU Velo who was on an AIS camp last week. :P

We stopped at the next servo for yet another drink bottle refill and from there we meandered back along Wiseman's Ferry Rd and Cattai Ridge Rd to Old Northern Rd. It was hot and long and although I knew we were on the home stretch, I also realised we still had Galston to do again. Once again I ran out of water and also started suffering from hot foot (suggestions and advice welcome!). We saw another bunch had stopped in front of us and wondered why until we realised they were all gathered around a tap in someone's front lawn. Philip and I stopped and did another drink bottle refill. One of the gentleman in the other team was seriously struggling and looked to be suffering dehydration (as I think we all were to some extent).

However, that stop proved to be the best thing we did as it was enough to get me through Galston again. Off we went knowing that it was all that was between us and the finish line (and Growlers for the boys). Although we must have reached delirium by this point as James and I discussed, in great detail, the music of Miley Cyrus and One Direction all the way up the hill. In fact, I think I even started singing Wrecking Ball. Sorry Adrian.

But we made it! And in a lot better shape than the young lady in front of us who was pushed up Galston nearly the entire way.

All up I went through approximately 4.5 litres of liquid (in varying forms including Infinit, Powerade, Coke and water) and according to Strava, was the 5th female across the line on the ride (although I don't know where our team came overall). A big thanks to the team who, although I struggled at times, were incredibly patient with me. And I think the team will agree when I thank Adrian for doing so much work on the front.

Until next year! (Eleri, your turn)...

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 11 Nov 2013, 10:30

Jo is a legend.
Here,here!

You can't drink enough water

Philip

Postby Philip » 11 Nov 2013, 11:33

Jo is a legend.
Here here from here too!
And also my thanks to Adrian, mammoth effort on front. Great company all round. Riding at its best, despite the heat.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 11 Nov 2013, 13:03

And thanks to Peter's advice to correct the elevation, I finished the climbing challenge on Strava! And appear to be the 47th female in the world.

http://www.strava.com/challenges/imba-t ... the-trails

I also had a great day despite the challenges and feel an immense sense of satisfaction in having finished it. I think it would be an excellent idea for an adventure ride on a day that was not so hot.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 11 Nov 2013, 13:50

We came 9th out of 33 teams.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 11 Nov 2013, 14:00

Or equal 13th on time taken. Good effort all.

Thanks James for organising. And big ups to Jens Emilson for his tireless work on the front.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 11 Nov 2013, 14:09

That'll teach me to attempt to read it on a phone. 13 is good too...

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 11 Nov 2013, 15:39

great work everyone! Sounds like fun. Definitely sounds like an adventure ride. Maybe the non-fixie century?

Happy to be a token girl if any new teams want to take up the challenge next year :)

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 11 Nov 2013, 17:20

Jake rode home and apparently it ended up being 180km. So definitely a contender for the non fixie century.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Nov 2013, 20:48

Well done all of you peeps....to the workhorses on the front, and to Jo who once upon a time - couldn't ride a hill, but things are changing. I did hear some thing today though that surprised me re the ride. I heard none of the riders would have been covered by Insurance as it was an unsanctioned ride. I will get more info - as I guess if DHBC enter next year you would want to know that you're covered.

You're all hard core I say !! Hip hip, Hooray!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 11 Nov 2013, 21:36

Well done all of you peeps....to the workhorses on the front, and to Jo who once upon a time - couldn't ride a hill, but things are changing. I did hear some thing today though that surprised me re the ride. I heard none of the riders would have been covered by Insurance as it was an unsanctioned ride. I will get more info - as I guess if DHBC enter next year you would want to know that you're covered.

You're all hard core I say !! Hip hip, Hooray!
Sorry that was me (Trouty) not stuart. Sorry stu I didn't log you out.

Andrew_Harvey

Postby Andrew_Harvey » 12 Nov 2013, 19:01

Spectacular effort everyone. And great write up Jo. I want to be there next year - better go and buy some Rapha gear!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Nov 2013, 07:04

re "arm warmers" Jo - do you mean sun sleeves? Trouty got me these great sun sleeves that triathletes use called 'CoolMax' they actually cool your arms via the wind while proving SPF 30 protection. I used to use Pearl Azumi sun sleeves but they are pretty warm and in fact can double as spring / autumn arm warmers ...

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 13 Nov 2013, 08:19

I have 2 pairs and the ones I wanted to wear were in the wash that yes, could be categorised as 'sun sleeves'. So the ones I ended up wearing are the spring/autumn warmers you mention.

Trouty mentioned them so I will probably make the investment for summer.

Be gone tan lines!

Return to “Road”