Velocity fun Randonnee - Camden August 18th

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 May 2013, 11:17

This one got emailed to me. Might interest some of you.

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=be9 ... 6271866f7c

The entry fee includes lunch

Philip

Postby Philip » 31 May 2013, 11:23

I was just about to post this, looks like fun.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 31 May 2013, 13:18

Hmm.

I receive email feeds from Cycling NSW - I'm guessing that all other financial members of the club do as well.

A statement was issued by the CEO yesterday (see below) - just wondering, in relation to this event, is this classified as a 'race', (given there are KOMs etc)?

I'm not one to stifle enthusiasm for new riding experiences, but are you appropriately insured if you participate in this particular event?
-----------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 30 May 2013

A message from the CEO - Riding in Unsanctioned Events

Cycling NSW has recently become aware of a number of members riding in unsanctioned/unapproved races which sit outside events arranged by clubs.

There are three important aspects that individual riders should be aware with respect to participating in such events:
• Insurance Coverage - The Cycling Australia insurance policy under which all silver and gold members are covered is voided where riders participate in non-sanctioned events. This is the case even when the group participating are all gold licence members.
• Road Laws - When riding occurs outside of provisions made as part of a sanctioned event, the applicable rules of the roadway be used must be fully adhered to. Police and other officials who have jurisdiction (eg park officers in places like centennial Park) can and will issue penalty notices.
• Breach of CNSW By Laws. The By-laws are quite clear that riders can face disciplinary action from CNSW for actions deemed detrimental to CNSW and/or the sport. Participation in non-sanctioned events is also deemed a breach of the By Laws. Whilst CNSW will act to sanction riders where appropriate, our strong preference is for self-regulation and common sense

The cycling community has made great strides in acceptance by other road users and the general public. As a sport by the manner in which we conduct official events from club level up, we are gaining a strong reputation for being advocates of safety and consideration to the issues related to sharing roadways with other users.

Unauthorised racing by a few does nothing to endear our sport to the general public and authorities such as Police, Roads & Martine Service and Local Council officials. I would request that you remind your fellow club members of the points raised above and encourage them to abide by the various provisions which are in place for their safety and the orderly conduct of events within this state.

Return to “Road”