Ride Report – Beechworth Gran Fondo – a great cycling event!

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Keith W

Postby Keith W » 24 Apr 2013, 00:46

Over Christmas I drew up a list of cycling events I wanted to participate in 2013.

One event, which came to my attention, was the inaugural Beechworth Gran Fondo to be held on 20 April 2013. It was a 173km timed ride with 2560m of climbing on closed roads in the Victorian high country (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1943514).

Other ride options included a Medio Fondo 83km and a Cycle Cross event on the Friday as well as a Gourmet ride and l’Eroica (which some members of the club completed) on the Sunday 21 April.

I emailed a group of Canberra riders I had done the 2012 Fitz’s Challenge seeing who was interested in the ride. I had five takers for the 173km (Jeppo, Tom, Zed, James and Bernie) and two opted for the 83km ride (Steve and Bella).

The morning of the ride saw a clear blue sky and a chilly 4 degrees on the thermometer and 162 starters. Our plan was to ride as a group averaging 27-30kph until we hit the major climbs. We rolled out at 7:30am behind the police and support vehicles in a neutralised zone until we left the town. I was sitting in the third row back through the town that had come out in force to support the event with National Road Race series teams Drapac and African Wildlife Safaris as well as an organized Giant Team I felt like I was in the start of a UCI classic!

Once the neutral zone ended our plan of staying together as a group was ignored as the pace lifted. The first part involved a long downhill section and those without gloves or leg warmers suffered in the long shadows and cold air of the morning. We kept up with the front and the first 40km passed in under an hour. As the 50km mark approached the teams all moved to the front as the road pointed up as we headed to Yackandandah. Tom lost touch with the group so I sat up so we could work together while we were in no mans land between the lead and following group.

We paused in Yackandandah at the first food stop for a toilet break as too many coffees and the cold had necessitated an early stop despite my desire to stay with the lead groups.

The course was described as being like the hills of Tuscany “up or down, but never flat” and the stretch from Yackandandah obliged with lots of short climbs and descents which made it difficult to get a rhythm. We joined two other riders and took turns peeling off the front like a pursuit team on the boards. We had the whole road to ourselves it was great taking a racing line using the whole road on the descents. We ended up riding with a group of riders from African Wildlife Safaris and two Beechworth Chain Gang riders (mountain bikers who were really strong on the road bike).

At the 100km mark another food stop and we met up with Zed just as he was rolling out after he had been riding still with the second lead group until he needed to fill his water bottle and re-fuel. Tom and I took a break and started off the road with the Beechworth Chain Gang riders.

At the 105km mark a right hand turn took us towards the second most challenging climb of the ride, Roeswhite Gap (4.7km at 5.2% with pinches up to 7.5% http://app.strava.com/segments/1020303). The climb featured in the tour of bright and this years three peaks ride but the Fondo took it from the tougher side. We caught and passed Zed who was suffering from a lack of climbing kms in his legs. I settled into a rhythm on the climb as I still felt good.

At the crest was another drink stop. I waited for Tom as a small bunch from African Wildlife Safaris rolled through. I pressed Tom to hurry up as I new we needed to get onto them otherwise we would be very exposed on the ride into the base of the final climb up to Stanley. Tom, I and another rider went into maximum attack on the descent (heaps of fun) as we chased down the group. After 5 minutes of hard work and rolling turns we caught them. Another 20km passed until a turn and a very sharp climb broke our bunch and the elastic to Tom was broken, I pressed on.

At the 140km mark I passed the last food stop. My legs were sore but I had plenty of food and water so rolled on riding solo into the base of climb at the 150km mark. The climb had a timed KOM/QOM and I rolled through trying to establish a measured tempo. By now my legs were aching (“shut up legs”) and I had 10.7km of climbing in store with an average of 5.2% and hitting 12% at points (http://app.strava.com/segments/1705782). I caught the sag wagon from the Medio Fondo and passed several riders from the medio who were pushing their bikes up the steeper sections of the climb. I managed the ride in 38.23mins (59th fastest) the fastest was up in 28mins on the day!).

At the top it was a fast run into Beechworth. I put my head down (trying to invoke my best impersonation of Jens Voigt in a breakaway) with the intent of not being caught by anyone on the ride into the finish. I reeled in one rider and kept up the tempo.

A group of 10 formed behind me and I maintained the gap. A quick run into the town and a sharp right hand turn then a sprint with an uphill kick into the finish line. After 6hrs and 4minutes and 45 seconds I crossed the line elated that I had completed the ride and achieved 65th overall.

My fellow riders finished in the following order Jeppo 18th at 5:22:17 (he is 50 years old and beat many of the NRS riders!), Tom 75th at 6:11:04, Zed 91st 6:29:43, Bernie 123rd at 7:15:00 and James 124th at 7:15:02.

Bella collected 3rd in the women doing the 83km Medio Fondo 25th overall and her husband Stephen 21st overall. Post ride we relaxed in the village having beer from the local brewery after having some savory crepes from a Frenchman and coffee from a local barista.

A great day on good roads (with no traffic) followed by a BBQ, beers, wine and plenty of heroic stories from the bunch with detailed Strava segment analysis by some. The next day we did a 50km recovery ride and reflected on the Gran Fondo. All agreed we would be back again next year to participate in what will surely become a fixture of Australian cycling. I strongly recommend giving it a go.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 24 Apr 2013, 08:12

Sounds tempting for next year! I'll think about it...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Apr 2013, 12:40

Respect ...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Apr 2013, 12:41

This does sound great. Closed roads for 160 riders is premium support indeed, but there does seem to be a shedload of hills and it's quite a bit longer than my mental maximum .....

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 24 Apr 2013, 13:56

'Mental' maximum...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Apr 2013, 14:10

'Mental' maximum...
Definition -- Mental Maximum: The maximum distance I can ride before I get bored/too tired/am hurting and I am over it entirely and just want to go for lunch/drinks/lunch & drinks. This is approximately 120k's.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 24 Apr 2013, 15:13

Keith, super report!
Cheers
Dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Apr 2013, 16:05

and no one mentioned the Gourmet Fondo ... now there's a ride I could get into

Keith W

Postby Keith W » 25 Apr 2013, 07:08

Stuart you could do the 83km ride which would qualify within your "mental maximum".

Return to “Road”