Middies Ride - Perfection

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 Mar 2013, 11:27

Averaged about 31.5kms - perfect pace. This should encourage some C28s to come up a level, and allow the C28s take it down a notch from the 30kms ph and a bit more.

Nice smooth group. No stop/starting. No front riders shooting off at the front when leading. Good calling, good communication. No flat tyres. Front riders checked on back riders at the one or two really tough spots (eg. Loftus Hill) to allow regrouping. Pretty good paceline back. Nice weather, good coffee, the best banana/berry smoothy, and good company.

PERFECTION.

And best of all, because I could keep up, it wasn't going too fast. :lol:

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 Mar 2013, 11:28

....plus I used a little trick to hang in there at Loftus Hill........

canthes

Postby canthes » 25 Mar 2013, 19:02

Yes Geoff I have to agree it was a nice ride at good middies pace. The fact no one was dropped was the best thing, as it is normally me left for dust at loftus as well! So fast 28's it's time to move up!
Looking forward to the next middies perfection
Cam :D

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 25 Mar 2013, 19:41

A few things happened on Sunday that I haven't seen before:
- the fasties departed waterfall in one bunch
- the middies also departed waterfall in one bunch
- judging by the way the 28s arrived at the servo they also stayed together as one bunch
- for the first time after about 9 months of trying to keep up with the middies i didnt get dropped :) :) :)

Sundays middies bunch really felt like a group working together. A great experience. Thanks everyone.

And thanks to the barista and the muffin cook at MRC. Quality number 1.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 25 Mar 2013, 21:04

What was your little trick Geoff?

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 26 Mar 2013, 07:59

Clue- there is racecraft involved :)

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Mar 2013, 17:36

What was your little trick Geoff?
It's simple Jo. Work ones way towards the front when approaching Sutherland. Take pity on the guys in front and encourage them to roll through in order to conserve energy for the uphill rises to Waterfall.

Then take the front by Sutherland Station and hold it! Any colleague who suggests one should roll thru due to sweaty face and heavy breathing should be told you are just sweating off a beer and are ok mate.

At lights next to Sutherland Crit Track hold position and take off in front with air of confidence and enthusiasm but ensure one is comfortably ascending Loftus Hill without struggle.

Once one has lead the whole bunch at ones own speed and passed the RNP entrance, wave the lucky finger around, ease back and let the next riders through, then lock on and suck wheel for dear life until KFC when ones heart rate starts to fall.

Pretty neat eh. Works every time.

Return to “Road”