4 Day Woman's Training Camp - Report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 03 Nov 2012, 10:02

It was either ride Fitz's or get tortured for four days. We chose the lesser of two evils.
Juliet, another DHBC lady and I headed off to Bathurst for what would be a very informative and excellent experience.
We arrived Friday morning to a meet and greet of about 30 like minded woman. The first day was reconnaissance work for the race the next day. I learnt neutral zones are my friend. We rode back to the hotel, I only mention the hotel as it was half way up Mt Panorama... OMG!
My first experience of racing was wicked fun, I can't wait to do more. I didn't win, but I didn't come last. The weekend catered for all levels, I have only been riding for 10months, right through to seriously fast woman, who race alot.
Each night we had talks from experts on various things from race tactics, nutrition, gym work, pedal stroke, bike mechanic's etc
By the third day we all exhausted but headed out for "euro" hill climbs. What the hell are euro hills? I found out the hard way, up and up and up! At the top of the first climb was Mark Renshaw. I tried to ask him a questions, but the intake of oxygen was far more important at this point. On another climb I had a coach riding with me giving me climbing tips, invaluable. I was shattered by the time we headed back to camp. At the bottom of Mt Panorama I raised my hand for the team car to pick me up. Having the ride fully support with cars in front and behind each bunch was pretty neat. I have never felt so safe riding.
Last day was a recovery ride. We finally got to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Bathurst. Anyone thinking of doing a training camp, go for it, it is worth it! And for those who have asked, yes we did have pillow fights each night before we went to sleep. :roll:

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 03 Nov 2012, 10:24

Congratulations you two! So pleased to see you both take the initiative to learn some great new skills and tactics. You've both come along way and in a short period and I'm sure the camp has given you a real boost and a great leap forward.

The camp even made it onto ABC local news and here's a short story from one of the participants.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 624438.htm

Philip

Postby Philip » 03 Nov 2012, 10:39

Sounds great, I'd love to do something similar. Who runs the camps? Do they do multi level bloke camps too. I've seen camps advertised that are held in Bright but I've worried they are more for the pros. Not newbie old guys like moi.

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 03 Nov 2012, 11:21

Philip, this was run by Domestique and cycling NSW. I am sure you can contact them and ask?

http://domestique.com.au/coaching

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 03 Nov 2012, 16:18

Sounds great, I'd love to do something similar. Who runs the camps? Do they do multi level bloke camps too. I've seen camps advertised that are held in Bright but I've worried they are more for the pros. Not newbie old guys like moi.
Hey Philip, there is a heap of camps especially over Christmas and New Year. I'm off to one with the Brats Club in Jan. I think there is a Turbo Studio camp in Canberra, and "Cycling Inform" usually has some camps aswell. Domestique's camps are usually catered for woman at the moment. Look up the Turbo Studio camp - I'm sure there are lots of spots. Rhys went to it last year - and I am sure they cater for all levels.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 03 Nov 2012, 20:17

, yes we did have pillow fights each night before we went to sleep. :roll:
So, was "girls on film" by Duran Duran being played whilst these pillow fights took place?

Just askin'

Return to “Road”