SRAM Red 2013

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Richard

Postby Richard » 15 Oct 2012, 09:50

One for the DHBC bike mechanics

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the new SRAM Red 2013 Groupset.

I am building up a bike at the moment and it looks good but I am interested in hearing any feedback from people in the know.

Thanks

Richard

Richard

Postby Richard » 22 Nov 2012, 09:56

I took the plunge and bought the new SRAM Red 2012 to go on the frame I am building up.

I ended up buying a set of HED Ardennes wheels provately from a guy who won them as a race prize

The bike is being built up at Velofix.

Can't wait to throw a leg over

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 30 Nov 2012, 08:41

Hey Richard, Are you still selling that triple grouppo? Send me a PM if you are.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 30 Nov 2012, 09:42

Built up a few bikes with the new SRAM Red and I did my first new Force yesterday.
The SRAM Red is just fantastic. the major complaint with the Red used to be the poor fr derailleur shifting. That has been solved with their new Yaw mechanism and it now shifts as well as Di2. The new Force I have been told is last years Red but again with a much better front derailleur. You can now use all the gears on the rear without chain rub.
The only question that hangs over the Red components is longevity. I have spoken to a couple of bike shop owners and they have had a few issues. I have yet to see any problems myself though.
I most probably would install Red on my bike if I was building it now. If I had buckets of money and didn't have all Shimano wheels I would go for the Campagnolo Super Record

Richard

Postby Richard » 02 Dec 2012, 19:34

I ended up putting the new SRAM Red Compact on an SL3 Roubaix frame with HED Ardennes CL wheels. Had my first ride today in the blasting wind this morning.

David os and I left early with the plan to do RNP but we just did Waterfall after ploughing into the headwind. The run back to Sutherland was quick!

Bike was quick and stiff but the FD needs some adjusting. I am still getting some chain rub. First impressions of the new Red is that it is a significant jump up from the Rival on Simone's bike.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 03 Dec 2012, 05:44

I have had to do a bit of tweaking on one of the 2013 front derailleur. Set it up exactly as the manual says and then give the cage a slight bend where it's rubbing.
The chainstays on the bike with the rubbing problem were only 400mm from memory
Good choice on the wheelset :-}

Richard

Postby Richard » 03 Dec 2012, 09:13

Geoff

The front wheel spins beautifully but there is a bit of lateral movement. Is there an easy adjustment that can be done at home or is it a bike shop kind of thing requiring both tools and know how?

Thanks

Richard

Return to “Road”