Centennial Park Update: 30kph limit 09:00-16:30 ENFORCED

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 Sep 2012, 18:06

This just in from Cycling NSW re Centennial Park:

As an interim measure the following proposal has been agreed to last week by Cycle Centennial, including Cycling NSW representatives and provisionally by the Trust which will see a time-based solution employed on the stretch of Grand Drive north of the Randwick Gates adjacent to the cycleway. Key points are:

** Between the hours of 9am and 4.30pm that stretch of road will operate under flashing lights and a strict 30kph speed limit for ALL vehicles (including bikes)
** There will be signage and road surface painting which will make it abundantly clear that this is an area in which to exercise extra caution because of the presence of children
** Fences and hedges, as well as the removal of parking in the area, will funnel pedestrian traffic though a single gate on either side of Grand Drive. This means that pedestrians should cross Grand Drive in one 10m wide area rather than a 200m stretch. These gates will be open between the hours of 9am and 4.30pm

The Centennial Park Trust has further indicated to Cycle Centennial that its long term plan is still to move the Children's Cycleway track to a safer location within the Park once funds become available.

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=47641

Personally I see this as good outcome for cyclists and I woudl hope that all DHBC riders would abide by these restrictions and exercise care.

Now, if we can just get them to get rid of the cars .....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 06 Sep 2012, 20:10

Logical outcome. It'll be interesting to see how they are going to enforce it. Cars easily go over the limit in the park and similar for bikes. Those midday trainers better watch out.

But... It would have been better if it was 16:00. In the winter, there's not much light left at 16:30, not quite enough for one solid ride session.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 11 Sep 2012, 21:30

Weiyun, the Trust really wanted it to be 5pm. This was a hard fought compromise and there are lots of school sport activities in the Park still at 4pm and even til 4.30pm and that's an area of potential conflict.

rhys

Postby rhys » 12 Sep 2012, 18:32

Doing laps yesterday afternoon these speed limits seemed to be adhered to for the most part. I think wayward dogs are going to be our next issue.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Sep 2012, 22:24

careful about coming down that hill people!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Sep 2012, 23:28

Doing laps yesterday afternoon these speed limits seemed to be adhered to for the most part. I think wayward dogs are going to be our next issue.
And ducks...

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 13 Sep 2012, 11:49

Back in the 80's (at Centennial) I had one friend break his neck, another made a quadraplegic (she died a few years later) and another break his elbow so badly it was crippled - all caused by unleashed dogs which were EVERYWHERE. Added to that at the time there was an in-line skating obsession and they virtually took over the cycle lane for most of the day. I swore I'd never ride there again.

Return to “Road”