Team Time Trial Results

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 21 Jul 2012, 17:32

I will let the other teams post their results (teams please add your stories below), woman first:

Woman's Masters: in order of height - Trouty, Michele Pezzutti, Camilla, Eleri.
This year us woman decided we would take this seriously (ok, we only trained together twice) but we were serious enough to all get aero bars, a team manager (Stuart) who was also our sognoir, support vehicle and film documenter. Our number 1 goal was to beat the time of the mens DHBC dawdlers, who were now split into 2 teams, The "Front" and "Rear Derailleurs". Ok so now we had 2 teams to beat.

We took off quiet conservatively and were able to see the 2 flashes of red DHBC elite boys finishing as we were starting, giving us some shouts of encouragement. The first 5 km didn't go as planned with Eleri dropping her chain. Although we did have our support car in Stuart, the hi def camera clearly documented his failure in helping Eleri successfully, and not even giving her a push to get her on her way. We lost valuable time that I'm sure cost us the gold medal! (wishful thinking but it works for us). In the end we had so much fun riding in a team..we didn't come last, and we're 2 minutes 30 off third. We will keep plugging on next year. All I can say is.....WE BEAT THE BOYS.....goal achieved. Woohoo. In their defence their fake moustaches gave us a substantial weight and aero advantage.

Next year "Derailleurs", look out. Stuart will be getting together a rival team called the Carbon Cranks. Unfortunately for the derailleurs, with the lure of real brakes that work, we have bought Adams contract and he will be exiting the Derailleurs in 2012. No steel, or moustaches on this team. I will even drive the support car. We hear karzwell is looking for a new team that doesn't ride steel? Karzy....if the price is right we could consider you.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 21 Jul 2012, 19:09

I will let the other teams post their results (teams please add your stories below), woman first:

Woman's Masters: in order of height - Trouty, Michele Pezzutti, Camilla, Eleri.
Looked in a mirror lately Jo? :-)

Yay! we beat the boys!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 21 Jul 2012, 19:17

The mind is an amazing thing, some times thinking your tall is all it takes to reach new hieghts.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Jul 2012, 19:28

Here's lots of photos

I think Marc might have been tired

The President got a lift

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Jul 2012, 20:03

Hey some great riding there !!!!!!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 21 Jul 2012, 23:07

We hear karzwell is looking for a new team that doesn't ride steel? Karzy....if the price is right we could consider you.
This could create some kind of bidding war, Trouty -or is it Stuart?.... Let me know what your ambit contract offer involves, or I'll have to consider this a tactical 'splitting' move. :)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 22 Jul 2012, 10:42

This could create some kind of bidding war, Trouty -or is it Stuart?.... Let me know what your ambit contract offer involves, or I'll have to consider this a tactical 'splitting' move. :)
Don't play too hard to get....we have Gossy and Durbridge also showing interest.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 22 Jul 2012, 11:42

Hey...I would really like to hear how the elites and the rest of the masters men went.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 22 Jul 2012, 13:48

I'm just glad that none of the masters boys got a photo of me at the finish. I wasnt looking at my prettiest.

weller

Postby weller » 22 Jul 2012, 14:07

The MMCT >150 came in 10th position.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Jul 2012, 17:10

The two Derailleurs teams (Karzie was absent at the time).

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Jul 2012, 17:19

Next year "Derailleurs", look out. Stuart will be getting together a rival team called the Carbon Cranks
Name not yet decided - this name thought up by Michele; meaning best left unsaid. :roll: But I think I will have a go at it, as long as I can find three other willing male masters riders with the desire, the sense of humour, the willingness to work for the team captain and possessing a great wine cellar (for the post race dinner).

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 22 Jul 2012, 18:48

Our number 1 goal was to beat the time of the mens DHBC dawdlers, who were now split into 2 teams, The "Front" and "Rear Derailleurs". Ok so now we had 2 teams to beat ...... All I can say is.....WE BEAT THE BOYS.....goal achieved. Woohoo. ....... Next year "Derailleurs", look out.
Since when did we become the 'enemy'? :roll:
If the 'Derailluers' (Front and Rear) were being challenged, someone could have least informed us? We might have at least made an effort to ride QUICKLY.
Believe John will be doing a ride report tonight. Will have more excuses there :lol:

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Jul 2012, 19:11

@Marc, you need to talk to Pete T about the pre-race challenge and the general banter .. left over from last year

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 22 Jul 2012, 19:31

It's all just friendly competition Marc. The Derailuers beat us last year by 30 seconds, so they threw the gauntlet down. Next year we will have the "DHBC Carbon Cranks" to beat. So get training. It's great motivation for us girls to train next year.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jul 2012, 22:51

Elite Men Team report (James, Simon, Tim, Anthony)
After a night at RAW for last minute training, with some Carbo loading consisting of Pizza and Beer afterwards, preparation was complete. Saturday morning came along, and i woke with a sore throat not feeling the best (it had turned up Friday afternoon), but being the transport for the majority of the team, i couldn't let them down.

With a casual 5min warmup (if you can call it that), we raced out to start our time trial, not before some comments about our aero hairy legs. Turning the first corner to begin the uphill outward trip, the traffic controllers must have been asleep, because suddenly a big truck was right behind us (luckily not on us). So the drag to the turnaround began, but with me being the only hill lover, it was steady going with Tim managing to have a chat with everyone we passed. When we made the turnaround we ramped the speed up, and i think we limited our loses quite well on the downhill run.

Lap 2 commenced with what seemed to be some increasing wind, and some tiring legs, our second lap went much like the first. Slow and steady uphill, fast as possible downhill. Coming to the finish, we lost Anthony with just over 1km to go, and although we were 30min behind the winners, it was a great team ride, but we made add some more conventional training to next years effort.

Post ride was followed by a trip to HopDog beerworks for debrief, where we were treated to a free tasting of some delicious beers, before heading back to Sydney. Unfortunately for me, post race recovery isn't going well, as my lingering cold has finally built up to leave me trying to recover at home.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 22 Jul 2012, 23:21

The Valley Wheelers field two teams, the Front Derailleurs: Toff, Alister, Karzie and Marc, and the Rear Derailleurs: Lindsay, Pete, Adam and myself. As usual we adhered to a vigorous training regime. Pete fell out the back of the C28s, I took my 1962 bike and fell out the back of the C25s (managed to hang on the next week on a modern bike, grrr..). Karzie excelled us both by falling out of the C28s, then failed to hang onto the C25s and was throwing up in the gutter before he’d got to Sans Souci. Toff was a little concerned when Marc did some mid-week training: he said “I hope he didn’t tire himself out, he needs to save his energy”.

Our mechanical preparation was likewise rigorous. Adam’s steed (a mid-1980s Omega, apparently assembled from bits salvaged out of a bike shop’s scrap bin) was finished on Wednesday night, with cranks, chainwheels, bottom bracket, chain, and cables replaced. Adam apparently then spent at least 20 minutes familiarising himself with this thoroughbred machine.

Marc and I rode the course on Friday afternoon, but had to turn around when the grade kicked up to 4% because we got a bit tired. We met Karzie and Pete coming the other way. We all stopped and then Karzie fell in the gutter, having forgotten to undo his toe-straps.

Lindsay managed to make it to midday on Saturday in his pyjamas, as he skillfully fettled Marc’s bike. Alister turned out to be a past master at bacon sandwiches and washing up. He also reminded us to pack our shoes, helmets, licenses etc, but when we turned up at the start, Alister had forgotten his shoes….

As the only other person with size 46 feet, I donated my shoes and pedals to get Alister to the line. The shortcomings of this plan became apparent as I morosely wandered the carpark in my socks, trying to steal/borrow a pair of size 46 shoes and pedals. Simon came to my rescue (thanks Simon!) otherwise I’d still be pushing my bike along the Braidwood Road in my socks.

Then a miracle happened: The Front Derailleur team was allowed to start in their moustaches!

Karzie’s immaculate form continued, and he stopped by the side of the road (dismounting from his bike saved him from another trip into the gutter I suppose).

The Rear Derailleurs then circulated the carpark, our very first training session! Then another miracle happened: We were allowed to start in our moustaches!

We all had a great time, giving a significant morale boost to all the teams that were faster than us (ie everyone else). We have some cunning plans for success next year, so be warned. Pete is practicing his tack-laying skills and a new EPO-based moustache is under development. Avoid letting Lindsay near your bike chain with his file and it would be safer not to accept any offers of egg sandwiches.
Next year "Derailleurs", look out. Stuart will be getting together a rival team called the Carbon Cranks
Stuart would want to be very sure of posting a better time. At least we've got the excuse of steel bikes....

"Carbon Cranks"? That'd be something to do with the erm.. lateral stiffness and vertical compliance of carbon bikes?

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 22 Jul 2012, 23:56

Lindsay Munks, master craftsman.

Team meeting, discussing secret tactics.

Team Front Derailleur.

Dr Carswell giving Pete a thorough checkup.

Video to come.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 23 Jul 2012, 07:53

Hilarious report, but so true John!
And don't forget, we had the oldest and most unique bikes at the comp. Big plus.
DHBC are not only fast (not the 'Derailleurs') but also fun.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Jul 2012, 08:59

Tim managing to have a chat with everyone we passed.
I particularly found it humorous when Tim started singing 'I will survive' on the second climb. It felt like we were more on a country tour than racing a state team time trial and maybe we could have pushed it a bit harder?

I really love the team time trial as an event. I think that considering the amount of training our team had done as a collective leading up to this event which combined was probably only as much as one rider in most other teams, the strength of the teams present which is evident in the other DHBC team finishing eight and the fact that there was another team a further 7 minutes back on us who probably had similar preparation to us I think we rode well.

We will definitely be back next year and James is right we will need to alter our preparations, maybe if we eat sea food pizza as opposed to the protein based pizzas and have James brew us a beer with more electrolytes I think we could probably shave a good 10 miuntes off our time!

The only other thing I would change about our ride is not ride out in front of a truck on the first corner next time, though it happened too fast to have been concerned at the time. It was only metres from mine and Anthony's rear wheels. I suppose it was a good way to get us up to speed early but not ideal.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 23 Jul 2012, 11:55

Another view from the Team Rear Derailleur perspective.

The preparation was astounding. I guarantee no other team in the whole championship were actually hand filing sprocket teeth on the morning of the Race, trying for that little advantage. In their pyjamas.

Later that same morning, it was a pleasure to see Lindsay using his "Chook Whisperer" skill to lure the local hens over to our casa's front yard for breakfast duty. Alas no eggs. Next year!

But that gave the Derailleurs more time to continue with our blood pressure monitoring program. There was much discussion and comparison about this, but it ensured there was absolutely no blood doping.

Which brings me to the actual Team Time Trial. Right on the start line, amidst a lot of banter from our rivals, Team Skyte, we were trying to prepare our souls for the testing One Hour And Fifteen Minutes ahead. All we had to do was beat that time, and victory would be ours AGAIN.

We set our alarm clock and off we scooted.

What threw us was that the first half of the course seemed to be uphill.

We pulled over and checked the map. What then followed could best be described as the Great Braidwood Road Map Folding Debacle of 2012.

After checking our blood pressures, off we went again, eyes peeled for the Team Skyte tacks.

You would think the roads would be quiet during The TTT, but we were loudly discussing the Culburra Lamb Shanks Conspiracy, and didn't hear our alarm clock going off at One Hour and Fifteen Minutes.

So we came across the Finish Line relaxed and confident, believing we had done our duty as Dawdlers.

Only to be told, gleefully, that we had been beaten. Just.

I've only got two words to say now.

Next Year.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Jul 2012, 12:16

More Women's Masters pics. Bicisport just managed to get past the DHBC support car (but not riders) before the turn-around, then passed at the turn-around due to DHBC going a bit too far but were re-caught before the line. Photos via the the official website here >> http://www.eliteenergy.com.au/cycling.html (there's some more of the Elite teams too).

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 23 Jul 2012, 12:45

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 23 Jul 2012, 13:15

Hey,
DHBC's Front and Rear Derailleurs are on the front page of the CNSW report!
That is a win in itself!

javascript:%20OpenWindow('/image.asp?image=96101,%2096102,%2096103&display=0','Image','toolbar=no,width=600,height=600,location=no,directories=no,%20status=no,%20menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes')

Toff

Postby Toff » 23 Jul 2012, 13:41

Is this what you are trying to post, Marc?

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 23 Jul 2012, 13:42

What happened to Mick's team in the 150+
Report required !
photo's wearing sperm helmuts throwing Eleri around don't count.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 23 Jul 2012, 14:25

did someone say sperm helmet?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Jul 2012, 15:01

What happened to Mick's team in the 150+
Report required !
photo's wearing sperm helmuts throwing Eleri around don't count.
Waiting for the results to be posted on CNSW

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/900%2 ... 82_thm.htm

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Jul 2012, 16:14

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Jul 2012, 16:49

So the combined results are (in order of how quick they were)
Place/Competitors Other Stuff (last year comparison)
==================================================
8/13 Dulwich Hill EM13 1hr:58:36.71 - Alex, Matt, John, Joshua (last year approx team 4/5)
10/25 Dulwich Hill BC M+6 1hr:04:15.40 - Mike, Tom, Craig, Mark (last year approx team 4/11)
11/13 Dulwich Hill EM15 2hr:18:52.43 - Tim, Simon, James, Anthony (last year approx team 5/5)
6/7 Dulwich Hill WM4 1hr:15:17.20 - Eleri, Jo, Camilla, Michelle
42/42 Dulwich Hill MAA38 1hr:18:05.07 - names removed to protect the innocent (last year approx team - last)
25/25 Dulwich Hill BC M+17 1hr:23:53.33 - names removed to protect the innocent (last year approx team - last)

So in last year / this year analysis. The 2 elite teams both improved, the M+6 team did about the same as last year. Front and Rear derailleur teams were exactly on target.

The M+6 team was best placed, but the real story is;
Medal wise, minutes:seconds behind bronze medal
EM13 - 6:23 (3:12 per lap)
M+6 - 4:03
EM15 - 26:39 (13:20 per lap)
WM4 - 2:40
MAA38 - 22:14
M+17 - 23:41

So based on that I declare Eleri, Jo, Camilla and Michelle the NSW DHBC TTT champions

adam

Postby adam » 23 Jul 2012, 21:14

to all the teams that were faster than us (ie everyone else).

That's perfectly true, but what better way to start a racing 'career'? There's nowhere to go but up. Thanks to all the team who gave me a chance to have heaps of fun. Thanks to John for the bike to ride, Pete for all the fitting and work and lindsay for being insistent.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 24 Jul 2012, 13:53

So based on that I declare Eleri, Jo, Camilla and Michelle the NSW DHBC TTT champions
That's a great way to look at it. I love that analysis.

By the way - The official Carbon Cranks 2013 Team has been selected.

Adam Farrer (as he has not yet fully signed with the Deraillers)
Stuart Hickson
Mark Hales
Douglas Kirkham

They were an expensive team, but a secret bidder put up the rest of the cash. The girls will be ready to conquer the Cranks in 2013.
Last edited by Trouty on 24 Jul 2012, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 24 Jul 2012, 13:57

By the way - The official Carbon Cranks 2013 Team has been selected.
....... Doublas Kirkham
Doublas Kirkham?
Must be Dougie's brother. In that case, the Derailleurs lay claim to Douglas first! :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Jul 2012, 14:05

Doublas ? is that missing an 'e' and a second 's' ?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Jul 2012, 14:22

~snip~ By the way - The official Carbon Cranks 2013 Team has been selected.
  • Adam Farrer (as he has not yet fully signed with the Derailleurs)
    Stuart Hickson
    Mark Hales
    Douglas Kirkham
They were an expensive team, but a secret bidder put up the rest of the cash. The girls will be ready to conquer the Cranks in 2013.
Isn't it great that I really didn't have any say in this :-) The name, the team selection .... we better beat the girls, that's all I can say

And @Marc; I don't see a spelling mistake at all? I think you made it up :P Anyway, I don't think a S-WORKS Roubaix qualifies as retro enough for the derailleurs :shock: :mrgreen:

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 Jul 2012, 14:50

Just looking through the photos of my team...

Here's THE TRUCK!

and In Formation

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 24 Jul 2012, 14:59

.... we better beat the girls, that's all I can say
So it's not "are you still beating your wife?" these days, but more "can you still beat your wife?"

:)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Jul 2012, 15:50

@T-Bone - bloody hell that truck was close!

@Karzie - I've never been able to beat my wife and every year it gets harder

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 24 Jul 2012, 17:56

Just looking through the photos of my team...

Here's THE TRUCK!

and In Formation
Yes that truck looked scary, but your the formation in that shot was obviously not existant, you got it better in the next shot

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 24 Jul 2012, 20:12

THE TRUCK!!!

Thankfully you were all composed enough to get into formation! And returned in one piece.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Jul 2012, 20:21

DHBC came 13th in the Teams Shield >> http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=47174

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 24 Jul 2012, 20:28

DHBC came 13th in the Teams Shield >> http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=47174
Based on that - Mike C's MMAS 150+ team contributed the highest points to the Club Championship!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Jul 2012, 21:35

27 points out of 76 total. The way the points worked favored better placed male master teams

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 24 Jul 2012, 23:08

<train> OK! Next Year! </train>

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 25 Jul 2012, 16:38

THE TRUCK!!!

Good grief!

And can I just add that Tim was on the blather going downhill too - at least he managed to have a chat to us girls, whilst whizzing past in the other direction, which I very much appreciated.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 25 Jul 2012, 16:43

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 25 Jul 2012, 20:24

Yep, that's good. A study in contrasts ...

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 25 Jul 2012, 23:40

Well, after many fruitless attempts I've given up trying to embed the video, so I'll just link it instead.

Here's the the WMAS team getting underway:

Video here.

Here's Team Front Derailleur. The bemusement of some of the crowd is evident, though fortunately they didn't suffer the catcalls about "porno moustaches" that Team Rear Derailleur copped from our cheer squad.

Video here.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Jul 2012, 08:40

Here's the photos I took (part 1), click for the biggies

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Jul 2012, 08:42

Part 2

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 26 Jul 2012, 09:58

Yep, that's good. A study in contrasts ...
I had a bit of a giggle when I thought how pissed they'd be when they saw I'd spoiled the shot of them!

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 27 Jul 2012, 07:22

Alex's race report for the other elite mens team
http://www.bernardriders.com.au/nsw-clu ... ime-trial/

Toff

Postby Toff » 17 Aug 2012, 15:50

This link is for those of us who listened to John J carrying on whilst watching Paul Sherwin's commentary of the ITT on the penultimate day of the TDF.

Actually, it's probably just for John...

Return to “Road”