SUVelo Crit Racing - Sunday 15th July

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 11 Jul 2012, 07:15

Racing on again this Sunday @ Heffron. Assuming the forecast is accurate, racing should be on (rather than rained out like May/June). I'll be in D grade until I get booted out.

I'll be heading over from the Marrickville Rd Cafe @ 6.15. Let me know if you want to ride over.

Cheers,

Noel

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 11 Jul 2012, 08:26

i'll be there, running late, getting dropped by A grade

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 11 Jul 2012, 20:55

Yep, I'm going. Can we leave at 6.30 though?

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 12 Jul 2012, 11:24

Yep, I'm going. Can we leave at 6.30 though?
Can do. I think that I know my way now so only need ~30mins to get there.

Derek

Postby Derek » 12 Jul 2012, 14:27

Hey Guys,

Would like to race on Sunday, a few questions if I may.

* What ride license do I need, can i buy a racing licesne on the day?
* What time will it be finished?
* What is the race distance?
* Do I need a DHBC kit?

A bit new to racing so any help is appreicated.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 12 Jul 2012, 14:47

you need a race license. you can upgrade( a silver licence to gold) by contacting cycling NSW. they also have 6 month licenses. if you want to race crits every Saturday with RBCC and once a month with SU Velo, the 6 months is the way to go. otherwise you can do a day license for $33. i'm not sure how to go about that. try contacting cycling NSW.

for the guys C, and D and womens B it will finish by 8:15 ish. the higher grades will finish 9:30 ish

there is no distance last time i raced it was 45min +1 lap.
the format has changed a bit to include a prime (sprint lap) in the middle.

and i think they prefer if you ride in DHBC kit, but if you are unable to get it for Sunday, i'm sure they will still let you race.

if you have any other questions drop Mel a line (secretary at suvelo.com.au)

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 12 Jul 2012, 15:07

for the guys C, and D and womens B it will finish by 8:15 ish. the higher grades will finish 9:30 ish
Just to add, if you race C/D and you place you will have to stick around until after A/B are finished to collect your cash... 8)

Derek

Postby Derek » 13 Jul 2012, 15:25

Hello Again,

Thanks for the information Lizanne, I emailed Mel yesterday and it appears my racing career will start on Sunday.

I will hang around and watch the A/B grades finish. It will just be a binus if I can pick up some cash!!!

Any other hints or suggestions for the morning? Should I bring anything?

See you on Sunday.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 13 Jul 2012, 15:55

Any other hints or suggestions for the morning? Should I bring anything?
Bring something warm for after you have ridden, some coin for your entry and perhaps a coffee after your ride. It can get really windy and you can freeze down there standing around after you've been working out hard for 45mins.

Looks like it should be decent weather though. Will you be riding or driving over?

Derek

Postby Derek » 13 Jul 2012, 16:57

Looks like it should be decent weather though. Will you be riding or driving over?
I will ride to the Cafe and Ride over with you guys.

Do you just meet there for a 6.30am rollout?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Jul 2012, 17:08

Yes, see you at the cafe at 6.30. You'll have to find us in amongst the bunches going to Waterfall. I'm small and have a tiny black bike with a sloping top tube.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 15 Jul 2012, 12:10

A good turn up for Women's B Grade at Heffron this morning with an entirely different (much younger) bunch than at LACC yesterday.

Women still learning how to ride a crit so some of it was a bit shaky on that course but the race got faster - and so did my heart rate which started off cruisy. Couldn't read any of the riders and didn't know the course sufficiently so jumped first and too early for the Prime. But also took everyone else by surprise. One woman went with me and took out the Prime, then me and then daylight. She eventually won the race.

There were no attacks, I sat near the back for most of the race, not knowing the course very well. I was looking for attacks but none really came. On the bell lap we got a bit mixed up with some stragglers from C grade who were on both sides of the track and one bloke who tried to ride with us. He was in the way on that small rise before the main straight so I was at about 6th wheel, not quite where I had planned. Then followed the wrong wheel, got boxed in and just missed out on 3rd.

Anyway, pretty happy with that race as I was the oldest woman in the race by a long shot. Topped off a weekend full of racing! Good to see Noel, Russell, Lizanne and Taylor out there this morning.

They can tell their own stories, especially Taylor who had a great race!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 16 Jul 2012, 09:18

The girls in A grade hate me, The kept the pace high, then heckled when i got dropped. my legs were gone after the first lap.
end

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 16 Jul 2012, 16:12

D Grade Report

I suspect there was a bit of 'grade grubbing' from both Manly and SUVelo. A lot of strong sprinters in the group. Pace was a mere 34km/hr for the majority of the race. Russell got a flat and retired around 20mins or so in. I tried a few attacks off the front but without any support I was not really going to get anywhere. 3rd across the line in the prime sprint. Finished with the bunch. Overall had fun and happy to make the distance.

Had a great ride back to the Cafe, with a few PR's in Strava suggesting that I did not race hard enough.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 16 Jul 2012, 19:46

The girls in A grade hate me, The kept the pace high, then heckled when i got dropped. my legs were gone after the first lap.
end
When I left, looked like one of them was way out the front on her own, riding strong. Don't know what happened to the others.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 17 Jul 2012, 12:33

Hey Guys,
Neil from SUVelo is giving me a DHBC saddle bag that was left @ the race on sunday. (i'm not sure how he know it's DHBC) so if it belongs to you let me know, otherwise, it's mine

Russell_C

Postby Russell_C » 11 Aug 2012, 17:44

SU Velo racing is on tomorrow (12th August) at heffron park... Weather permitting.

I'll be riding over, leaving from the cafe just before the fasties at 6:30 if you want to join.

See the SU Velo site for more info.
http://www.suvelo.com.au/index.php?opti ... 4&Itemid=7

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 Aug 2012, 20:51

Apparently there was a couple of results according to the SUVelo website! Want to tell us about it John and Russel? I hear 2nd hand there might be a story? ....
In D grade John Mason of DHBC claimed first with Brett McLeod (SUVelo) second and Russel Copeman (DHBC) third.

JJM_1

Postby JJM_1 » 13 Aug 2012, 20:19

Well, Russell will have to tell most of the story.

There was only about 7 of us in D grade, & I got away off the front early on, and apparently due to some comedy of errors unfolding behind, only Russell was sure I'd gone so it seems the SUVelo riders didn't bother chasing.

The headwind down the straight was cold & constant, & then we'd all get blown up the back of the circuit. In fact the headwind was so strong down the straight I couldn't hear anything being said by the officials so ended up going round another lap for good measure!

I doubt they'll let it happen again.

John M

Return to “Road”