Tour Down Under 2013 - The DHBC Domestiques ride again!

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 28 Jun 2012, 21:16

Early Bird entries are open!
Team code is BCT109
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/registration.htm

Be There!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 29 Jun 2012, 09:28

Not a starter for 2013. Holidays all used up in Europe. Enjoy. Although I was going to suggest 'DHBC Grupetto' or 'DHBC Autobus' for next year :-)

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 29 Jun 2012, 10:35

Not a starter for 2013. Holidays all used up in Europe. Enjoy. Although I was going to suggest 'DHBC Grupetto' or 'DHBC Autobus' for next year :-)

Stuart, the names can be changed to protect the guilty!
(we have until October)

Fraser

Postby Fraser » 05 Jul 2012, 15:22

I am up for this after intending on riding last year. Booking accommodation and will sign up before the 10th.

charles

Postby charles » 09 Jul 2012, 12:33

Dougie,

Have just entered the Tour and the Domestiques. So we are heading towards the team quorum.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » 12 Jul 2012, 20:34

Really considering this...

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Jul 2012, 11:03

Really considering this...
Andrew....if you get a chance you really should go. It was awesome last time. With Dougie knowing where to ride and the best places to stop and see the tour come through, it's stress free.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 22 Jul 2012, 22:58

Well, as the nice man with the French accent in the TV Commercial says;

When you are reehding dis, it eaze dark and probably cold. But don’t crye, drye yur ize wis a khanga roux and get reedy to part eeee at the Tour Down Under 2013.

The route has been released and the DHBC Domestiques will have the most fun you can have in Lycra.

Stage 1, Tuesday 22nd January 2013
Prospect to Lobethal
If you want to chase the riders through the hills you can. But I am planning on just settling into my hotel, collecting my jersey for later in the week and chilling a cheeky little Sauvy B from the Adelaide Hills in the bar fridge. I might check out the Tour Village in the Victoria Square. Tomorrow the riding gets serious!

Stage 2, Wednesday 23rd January 2013
Mt Barker to Rostrevor
A super day of riding ahead for the hardly DHBC Domestiques (Grupetto, Autobus or whateva!). The day’s stage kicks off at 11am in Mt Barker, a lovely little Adelaide Hills town about 35K from the city. The recommended ride it to take the Norton Summit route from Adelaide City up into the hills. It’s a decent climb at 5% for 5.6KM. From there it’s jaunt down to Balhannah, Hahndorf and finally Mt Barker for the race start at 11am. Allow two hours to cover the 40KM route.

See the riders in their natural habitat in Mt Barker prior to the start. Once the Grand Depart has occurred we will travel further along the route for a few more viewings of the Peloton as the riders race a compact route in the Adelaide Hills. Once they have gone through perhaps we could enjoy a little lunch and then wend our way home back through the hills and descend down to Adelaide for a cold beer at one of the city’s 110 Pubs.

Stage 3, Thursday 24th January 2013
Unley to Stirling
Without a doubt my favourite stage! This one works well for the non riding members of the grupetto. The start line on King William Rd is only 3km from the Tour Village and centre of Adelaide. It’s on the tram line and could best be described as Adelaide’s version of Paddington. Plenty of cafes and shops. You’ll find the pro riders in cafes enjoying a pre race piccolo latte or an espresso. They seem just as taken with the locals as the locals them. Wander the street, collect some photographs and a signature or two.

My recommendation is that the bunch doesn’t dilly dally about. Have a quick look around and then meet up. Mount your bike and head for the hills. It’s about an 11km ride to the King of the Mountain point at Eagle on the Hill. We will find a shady spot preferably near a man sporting a Borat style ManKini. This will guarantee us TV coverage and several posts on the “Dulwich Hill Spotted” thread on the Club’s website forum. This is a super hill to ride. It’s 12km at 4% with some +10% hurty parts.

From here we will climb to Crafers before the descent in to Stirling. This year the Peloton will be riding six laps of Stirling. You can find a spot and settle in or perhaps descend a little further to one of the other villages such as Aldgate. Have some lunch whilst you are there, in between laps and soak up the atmosphere. If you aren’t in Lycra you simply aren’t “in”.

Once the race is over we should meet up and join the hundreds of cyclists heading back to Adelaide from Stirling. First we will need to climb the “Bastard” hill, 300 metres of 12%. After that it’s pretty gentle riding to Crafers and 14KM of descending Tres Bon! We will enjoy the company if even only fleetingly as the teams zoom past us at blistering speed of 70KPH. The afternoon is yours to enjoy and prepare for the big one tomorrow.

Stage 4, Friday 25th January 2013
BUPA Challenge
Modbury to Tanunda

Modbury is the furthest out of the city this Stage has started in some time. The start in Civic Park is about 16KM out of town and it will be negotiated in the dark. Lights are a must, as is a smart phone with maps. It’s a pretty straight run and I guarantee there will be a procession of bikes heading our way.

The flag drops at 6.30am and it’s all a bit of a Zoo if the last few years are anything to go by. Plenty of time for a pre ride coffee and a nervous wee before we get underway. Regardless I am thinking of leaving the city about 5am to give me “coffee, hopelessly lost and flat tyre time”.

The ride will be great and the course well laid out and wonderfully supported. Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses. I really have to do that this year. An extra half an hour on the road will add tremendous value and is much better than being hunched over the bars for 5 hours in a world of pain.

Plan on a team meet up at the end for victory debrief/beer and watch the pros come through the finish arch. Then make your way home for a well-earned dinner and dare I say an early night.

Stage 5, 26th January 2013
McLaren Vale to Old Willunga Hill

For anyone who watched the stage on TV last year will know the excitement that this Hilltop finish creates. Depending on how you are feeling, you could ride down from Adelaide to McLaren Vale a distance of 55KM or do as I do. Ride in a well air conditioned car! Combine a bit of tourism with a bit of bike racing. I ask you simply, “does it get any better?”

If you choose to ride, you will have plenty of company both going down and coming back. Just bear in mind, it’s a bloody long way there and back.

Stage 6, 27th January 2013
Adelaide City, street circuit

I am usually on a plane heading back to Sydney. However if you find yourself still in Adelaide, grab a vantage point and settle in for some tight and fast racing. Follow this up with the final jersey presentations. A super tour for sure!

Book your flight, find your accommodation and practice packing your bike. The Tour Down Under is every bit the fun you thought it might be.

Be There!

Fraser

Postby Fraser » 25 Jul 2012, 13:20

Thanks for all the info Dougie. Sounds like you are a TDU expert!

I have booked my place along with flights and accomodation. Part of the negotiation in booking this was to provide a short city break for the family... so regrettably I will only be making an appearance for the community ride. The whole week sounds fantastic.

Looking forward to riding with The DHBC Domestiques and will no doubt be meeting you somewhere at 5am for the ride to the start.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 25 Jul 2012, 13:45

IMHO the Sunday 'crit' stage isn't worth staying for, unless you plan on leaving on Mon. The crit is very fast so you don't see too much and was so bloody hot last year as to be unbearable. The airport gets totally chaotic following the stage end. We left about 45 mins before the end of the stage last year and still had to contend with sizable queues for the over size bags checkin. By the time we got ours checked ,the queues were enormous. I'd leave on Sun morning - more flights too.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 26 Oct 2012, 16:10

So the team so far consists of

Charles Pickett
Douglas Kirkham
Fraser Turvey
Sophie Jacob

If you wish to join the DHBC Domestiques for the Tour Down Under 2013 please log on to the TDU website http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/ and follow the links
The team code is BCT109

The most fun you can have in Lycra!

cheers

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 28 Oct 2012, 13:33

I'm planning on signing up. Watch this space...

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 28 Oct 2012, 16:55

I'm planning on signing up. Watch this space...
It's worth going Jo...I loved the rides, the closeness to the race and the pros (Yes I'm cycling a stalker). You'll have a great time.

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 15 Nov 2012, 21:31

I'm also keen/interested

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 16 Nov 2012, 11:20

For those that are definitely going,

any recommendations for accom? ie specifically where city/suburbs to book? or try to book. (not been to Adelaide before).

who has not organized accommodation as yet?, depending on numbers, would anyone be interested in booking maybe a larger place and sharing?

would depend on numbers and also everyone's arrival and departure dates

thanks

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Nov 2012, 12:31

For those that are definitely going, any recommendations for accom? ie specifically where city/suburbs to book? or try to book. (not been to Adelaide before). ~snip~
We stayed in an apartment in Glenelg which has the advantage of being at the beach for swimming but the disadvantage of being 10k's from the CBD and away from action central at the Hilton Hotel where all the riders stay and the expo area. I'd try to stay in the CBD if I was going again although it's getting pretty late to book now.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 16 Nov 2012, 13:18

One of my best mates lives down there with her cyclist husband so unfortunately (fortunately for me) I am sorted for accommodation. Sorry Bill.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 16 Nov 2012, 16:17

Bill, there is still plenty of cheaper options in the CBD (certainly compared to Sydney). There are also cheaper motel/hotels just out of the CBD to the east and west, on the outside o fthe parklands that have good rates. Kentown, Norwood area to the east and Burnside to the southeast. call me if you need more guidance.

Cheers

D

Julio

Postby Julio » 17 Nov 2012, 21:16

Entered but got in to late to be in the team, meh no worries. I also leave the start area earlier than stated due to the numbty-factor at these mass paticipation events.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 03 Jan 2013, 08:46

Hot, Hot and Damn Hot!

This week in Adelaide the mercury will be hitting 41! Here's hoping our hardy TDU'ers will be commencing their hydration plan now with the Bupa Stage 4 looming large and only 22 days away. There's still time to get some solid training in with Club rides Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays. Don't forget this month's Adventure ride, the Earlier Eastie on the 13th is another great opportunity to train.

Charles reports he has had his bike serviced in preparation. Jo the Builder has been training hard. Derek showed great form on the Lapa Ride on Wednesday, powering up "Fitz's Hill". Sophie is in the mix. I haven't seen Fraser in a while, so hopefully he is giving the bike a workout.

Watch out for the DHBC Domestiques on the telecast. We'll be the ones standing beside the fellow in the mankini!

Cgecowley

Postby Cgecowley » 08 Jan 2013, 08:21

Hi Dougie,

Reasonably new to the DHBC club. Very impressed with your effort to describe the different points along the way for the TDU. Very helpful indeed! Just the ticket.

I will be there from Wednesday morning (23 jan) , staying next to the village at the Grand Chancellor and as suggested in an earlier post, have taken the option to skip back to Sydney early Sunday morning before the chaos. Bearing in mind that it is a long weekend, so it shouldn't be as bad.

Hope to hook up with you guys for a drink and a ride along the way. Doing the community ride. Appreciate your local knowledge of places to view the TDU.

Unfortunately, missed the boat on signing up to your Domestiques.

Will try and connect with you guys on the Waterfall run on Sunday or better still, I might see if I can join you tomorrow for the Wed ride.

Chris C

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 08 Jan 2013, 09:42

Hi Chris

Welcome! We (The Bride & Spawn) are staying in the city. By all means seek me out tomorrow at the Lapa Ride or on the Weekend as i am Ride Leader. My mobile is 0434 148 612

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 25 Jan 2013, 16:26

Some happy snaps so far...

KOM Stage 3

Stage 3 Stirling

Chris with Bernard Hinault in the Tour Village

Dougie's Cycling Tattoo

Someone or other...

Stage 4 Finish

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 25 Jan 2013, 16:28

And Dougie and I made the local rag! Hopefully this link works... Photo 15

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/photo- ... 83?page=15

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 25 Jan 2013, 16:33

Some happy snaps so far...

Chris with Bernard Hinault in the Tour Village
Hinault looks like a happy old man now. Few years back he would have chewed your head to a pulp.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Jan 2013, 23:16

great pics Jo - even the heat looks manageable this year. Expecting a full report from Dougie sometime soon ....

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 28 Jan 2013, 10:16

great pics Jo - even the heat looks manageable this year. Expecting a full report from Dougie sometime soon ....

i am typing OK!

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 30 Jan 2013, 07:55

So there we were on Eagle on the Hill when I saw this:

The gentleman was quite surprised that I liked it as he says most people just try and avoid riding behind him. Anyway, turns out he got the jersey from the UK and has a Kellogg's Frosties jersey to go with it. I got my brother in London to do a little digging and he sent me this website:

http://www.foska.com/cycling-jerseys/road

Looks like you can also do custom jerseys...

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 30 Jan 2013, 09:06

i am typing OK!
Chatting to Dougie on the La Per ride this morning - he claims to be up to page 5!

mr mojo

Postby mr mojo » 30 Jan 2013, 11:15

Chatting to Dougie on the La Per ride this morning - he claims to be up to page 5!

Yes, he suggested a couple of hours and a nice glass of red were required to get through the epic he is creating.

Return to “Road”