Barcelona to Rome, on the route of Hannibal

Road cycling & upcoming rides
tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 29 May 2012, 08:28

A student of mine from a few years back--Sam Wood--did a documentary for the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t6skb) tracing the route on the Carthaginian general Hannibal from Spain to Italy on bicycles (including a few gratuitous detours to do "fun" things like climbing Mt. Ventoux).

He's now offering it as a bicycle tour, with three consecutive stages of 8-9 days each.

http://www.rideandseek.com/expedition/hannibal/overview

It's not just a grim bike tour (although I know some people in the club love grim ride-eat-sleep bike tours) - culinary, cultural and archaeological treats are all on offer too.

The dollar might have crashed against the US dollar but it's still pretty good against the Euro, and if you pm me I could probably score a discount on these prices.

You'll need some climbing legs!

timyone

Postby timyone » 29 May 2012, 13:07

I would love to do this, but can't this year

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 29 May 2012, 13:32

I want to do something like this before I get too old. Maybe next year; my sister's swimming in the World Masters Games in Turin in September and I'm going to accompany her - why not a bit of cycling afterwards? Will try to get the legs into shape for Bright in January, to assure myself I can manage it.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 29 May 2012, 21:00

Also, Dylan Reynolds has contacted me to let DHBC know that:

"As part of this promotion we are looking to donate 5% of the tour price to each participants bike club as well as offering what we hope are some attractive group discounts – see website for details."

I also have a bunch of brochures which I will leave at the Marrickville Road Cafe.

Return to “Road”