Mudgee Audax Weekend 27-29 April

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 03 Mar 2012, 10:13

Mudgee Audax Weekend is really fun, good time of year, good rides and DHBC has turned up in numbers to previous years of this weekend of rides. There's various places to stay and a couple of years ago, DHBC booked out the pub. Last year it was full and some of us shared a unit. Whatever, plenty of options and it's a nice riding (well we did get lost one year, but that problem is fixed and some of us are nearly over it now :) ).

Details below. If you are interested let me know and we can look at some accommodation options.

You’re invited to join us at the Audax Club’s Mudgee weekend, April 27-29, with rides on:
• Friday (65 km)
• Saturday (110, 150, or 200 km)
• Sunday (150 km, either Mudgee – Bathurst via Hill End or Mudgee – Hill End return).

All rides are along lightly-trafficked roads with plenty of refreshment stops, including the occasional pub. If you’d like to come – be quick and book accommodation as it appears that Mudgee is in a boom time at present –accommodation is scarce.

This year the start and finish point for our rides will be the Wanderlight Motor Inn, 107 Market Street Mudgee. All rides on the Saturday and Sunday start at 8 AM; Friday’s ride commences at 1 PM.
Friday 27 April @ 1 PM: Loosen your legs with 65 km (return) stroll out to the Cooyal Pub, where Mark Renshaw’s mother-in-law will pour you a beer.
Cooyal 50: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cooyal-50
Saturday April 28 @ 8 AM: You have a choice of three distances – 120, 150 or 200 km – all rides visit Ulan and Gulgong with the 150 km riders detouring to Cooyal and the 200 km riders struggling up the hill to Hargraves.
120 km: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mudgee-100-MkII
150 km: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mu ... MkII389655
200 km: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mudgee-200
On Saturday night from 7 PM, meet your fellow road warriors at the Mudgee brewery – let us know if you plan to come along and if numbers are high enough I’ll make a reservation.
Sunday 29 April @ 8 AM: Our scheduled event today is a 150 km randonee with two options. The first is an iconic ride from Mudgee through Hill End along a recently sealed road to Bathurst. While an unforgettable ride it does have logistic challenges and so we have also provided an out and back option from Mudgee to Hill End as an alternative.
150 km (Mudgee to Bathurst via Hill End): http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mudgee-to-Hill-End. Riders returning to Bathurst turn at Hill End. There is a short length of rideable gravel road before Hill End.
Bicycle requirements
Riders attempting the 200 km event on Saturday must carry lighting and a reflective vest conforming to Audax regulations (see http://audax.org.au/public/images/stori ... ements.pdf for full information or check with the organiser).
Entry
Please enter on line at http://regonline.activeglobal.com/mudgeeweekendYou can enter one event only or register for the whole weekend. No registration is required for the Friday ride.
If you are uncertain about anything, please contact me.
I look forward to seeing you in Mudgee in April!
Chris Walsh
walshes@optusnet.com.au
0401 055 494

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 04 Mar 2012, 18:00

It's a possibility although it's a bloody long way to drive for the weekend. I'd say we're 50/50.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 05 Mar 2012, 06:58

I'd be interested... I'd be up for staying the Friday night but wouldn't make the ride on the Friday. I can also do some accommodation research once we know numbers to give you a hand.

Is the idea to do rides on the Saturday and Sunday? If so, I'd take the shortest option on the Saturday.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 05 Mar 2012, 07:37

I'd be interested... I'd be up for staying the Friday night but wouldn't make the ride on the Friday. I can also do some accommodation research once we know numbers to give you a hand.

Is the idea to do rides on the Saturday and Sunday? If so, I'd take the shortest option on the Saturday.
I'll ride Saturday only probably, might pootle around town on Sunday but not up for the ride to Bathurst. Last year we rode Friday - hmmm, let's just say it was harder and faster than we thought. :)

I might do the 200km option, if not the 150km. They all overlap a bit.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 05 Mar 2012, 09:48

I'd be happy for just the 150km option on the Saturday then... I do like my Sunday afternoon naps which a ride on the Sunday would prevent!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 05 Mar 2012, 15:37

Actually, we're non starters. Too close to Europe trip.

scully

Postby scully » 05 Mar 2012, 16:45

Looks like fun. I am in if someone can give me a lift. I would just do the easiest saturday one.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 06 Mar 2012, 06:22

I can probably give you a lift Dayna...

scully

Postby scully » 06 Mar 2012, 15:43

Cool. I can finish early and get to wherever you'd be leaving from if that helps.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 07 Mar 2012, 12:47

Nice riding around Mudgee! Enjoy!
I can't make it :-(

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Mar 2012, 10:52

*bump*
Any other takers?

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 18 Mar 2012, 12:22

I'm seriously thinking about it - trying to get it into the schedule

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Mar 2012, 13:05

Perhaps I should look at it

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 18 Mar 2012, 14:46

Pia and I are intending to go for the full weekend. If anyone else is interested in carpooling, please let us know. We have no car so may look into getting a goget tarago for the weekend.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 18 Mar 2012, 18:16

I love the Mudgee weekend - beautiful riding and lots of ancillary fun to be had. I've done the last three and would come this year if other things weren't intruding.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rflxs5

Derek

Postby Derek » 20 Mar 2012, 20:38

Hi All,

I will be getting to Mudgee on the Saturday about midday - early arvo.

Just doing the 150 klm ride on the Sunday.

Cheers Derek

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 22 Mar 2012, 21:00

Ok I'm in. Getting there is the next challenge.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 28 Mar 2012, 20:09

Jealous. Want to come. Love the Mudgee Audax weekend. Dang! But "life" invades and I think I'd better just be there in spirit. 2013 will have to be my year of the wheel.

Oh, and for all those worrying about transportation - Lindsay and I usually go up on Friday morning as far as Lithgow on the train, then ride the rest of the way. The pub at Cullun Bullum does a fine XXXX at 10.30 am.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 28 Mar 2012, 20:13

And if you're lucky Marian will come past with a lamington in the final kms.

Lindsay - perhaps we ought to go! I could probably be convinced.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 01 Apr 2012, 19:54

This is the weekend that we come back from Paris on so unfortunately we wont be able to make it :(

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 01 Apr 2012, 20:30

Mudgee is no contest for Paris. Cancel Paris!!

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 02 Apr 2012, 16:53

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 02 Apr 2012, 17:30

Ottawa! Really?

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 02 Apr 2012, 21:11

Am kind of considering this weekend.
Currently thinking if go, probably drive up for the Fri and Sat(120km) rides

Any ideas/recommendations re accommodation? as not been to Mudgee before
Thanks

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 Apr 2012, 21:51

Yes, must do something about this. Probably a motel. The caravan park on the river is OK - stayed there once before. We've probably left it too late to get the pub we stayed in a couple of years ago.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 05 Apr 2012, 17:19

I am seriously considering the ride from Lithgow-Mudgee option (as lightly loaded as I can). But I have noticed the last-minute accommodation in Mudgee is looking fairly full for Saturday night. If I can work it out, I'll arrive Friday, do the Saturday ride and ride back to Bathurst on Sunday (5:50pm bus to Lithgow station - track work that day, apparently). Hopefully bike in bag will survive. Hopefully legs will too.

Yet to be approved by the household umpire.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 08 Apr 2012, 20:40

I've booked Adam and me into the Mudgee Riverside Caravan Park. http://www.mudgeeriverside.com.au/ Stayed here a couple of years ago and it was fine. Doesn't sound like they have much left but worth giving them a try. $80 pn. I also see that there are a bunch of motels still with vacancies.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Apr 2012, 14:08

Jo & I stayed here >> http://www.stayz.com.au/60166 Charge is per room so if you only use 1 bdr, you only pay for the 1 room, not the whole house. Stayz has a fair few houses left that would be value if shared.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 10 Apr 2012, 14:29

The carvan park was full when I called. I just booked a room at the Lawson Park Hotel. http://www.lawsonparkhotel.com/accommodation.html
There was one room left. I'd get in quick!

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 15 Apr 2012, 21:44

So is anyone heading up on Friday morning with room for 1+bike, alternately, if I rented a vehicle, would anyone be interested in coming with?

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 16 Apr 2012, 15:33

I've messed up. I didn't put it in my diary and have since realised I am double booked with some friends heading down from Newcastle to stay with me.

So unfortunately I will be unable to attend. Sorry Dayna! Jeremy, perhaps you and Dayna (scully) can organise something together?

Next year...

scully

Postby scully » 16 Apr 2012, 18:11

haha,
I had you pegged as the sensible, organised type.

So yeah I will be needing some transport. I have to work on Friday. The earliest I can finish is two. Anyone going friday arvo should take me cause driving cars with empty seats make the polar bears drown or something. And also I will give you petrol money.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 16 Apr 2012, 21:08

We are going up Friday BUT we don't have racks so the bikes are in the car, which means no space for people. I could possibly squeeze a third bike in but definitely not a person. This may not help.

scully

Postby scully » 19 Apr 2012, 18:49

Now I will have a car- thanks mum !!
The condition is I have to drive it to Maitland on Sunday.
So I will leave friday by 3pm and Sunday morning drive to Maitland for something about steam trains. Will have room for one plus bike if those times suit anyone.

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 19 Apr 2012, 21:07

So I shall have a vehicle. Can take 1+bike on Friday morning, back on Sunday afternoon.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 29 Apr 2012, 17:25

Another great weekend in Mudgee. Along for the ride were Dayna, Adrian, Pia, Jeremy, Trevor, Adam and me.

We arrived too late to go on the ride to Cooyal on Friday but did gear up and go for a short ride with Jeremy out past the vineyards and back - flat most the way and a good limber up after sitting in the car for four hours or something.

Saturday woke up bright and early but the start wasn't til 8am so plenty of time to eat (too much) porridge, get the bikes sorted and us rugged up as it was a tad cold. The forecast was for a top of 22 with westerlys swinging from north to south and up to 35km. That sounds pretty much like the last 2 years. As it turned out, it was mostly cloudy with the sun out for short periods and there was next to no wind. I can live with that!
All the rides set out along the same road to Gulgong and I ended up in a trailing bunch. 2 chaps who will shortly be riding Race Across America were in a leading bunch. We set off at a fair clip for an audax ride but stayed together which was nice. I probably did a bit too long on the front and damn it if I didn't see the other bunch up ahead and think we should catch them. Great country round here, rolling hills farms, bit of national park and (mostly) quaint towns. Eventually we caught the others out near Ulan and we all ended up at the pub for the first checkpoint. Nothing much to eat in the pub and nothing of note there, except Australia's biggest coal mine just across the road. Unlike some of my other club mates in previous years, I eschewed the traditional schooner of beer. It being 10am and all.

From there we headed east on the highway for a couple of kms and then across farm land and over a hill. From there it was a long gradual descent back into Gulgong for lunch. A group of us took off and rode hard and fast. I blew up first and left the blokes to it. Younger, faster, blokes etc. :)

Just as we were about to get into Gulgong a VERY long freight train with purple wagons stopped across the train crossing. We briefly contemplated crawling under it, throwing our bikes over or riding through the wet culvert under the tracks. The risk assessors amongst us wisely decided this was a bad idea and we should just calm down. Eventually it got a move on and we got to the cafe to find the chaps already stuck into lunch.

Gulgong is a town famous for once being on the ten dollar note. It also has some links to Henry Lawson and is picture postcard cute. The guy who owned the cafe saw my DHBC jersey and asked me about the track. He used to ride track way back in the 50s including at Lidcombe Auburn and seemed pretty happy to have a reason to reminisce. He doesn't ride any more.

From there we split with the 100 and 200 riders heading south east and the 150 riders south west. I was starting to get tired at this stage with B2B still in my legs and spending too long riding too fast in the first 100kms. Close to Mudgee me, Adrian and Sydney Cyclist president, Steven, turned right up the road to Hill End with our destination Hargraves. I'd already dropped off by now, just didn't have the legs.

But before getting to Hargraves there were 3 big hills to climb with each one getting higher and sharper. On the first hill I discovered I couldn't get into the bottom 2 gears and I was already tired. I'd briefly considered throwing the towel in at the turnoff as I was tired. The thought of going up these hills without granny gears was a bit distressing. I'm a wannabe spinner not a wannabe grinder.

Anyway, ground my way up the hill with the last one including a gradient of 14% at one point. It was one of those hills that you think is about to end ... and then you go round another corner and it just goes up again. It was never ending. I saw the other Adrian and Steven just starting the descent back into Mudgee as I got to Hargraves. They finished the ride an hour before me. A quick stop at the Hargraves General Store and then back down into Mudgee with the 3 hills having ups and downs but much better that way.

All in all, a hard ride and for the first time in ages I have sore quads the day after. Must have been all that grinding. It's also the first time I have felt nauseous for ages.
Average of 24.8 overall but 29 for the first 100km. Haven't done this distance since January. It showed!

scully

Postby scully » 29 Apr 2012, 21:36

Wow,that sounds hard. No wonder you looked a little pale at dinner.
My day was much easier as I was just in it for the scenery and the wine. I did the hundred which was all flat. I had no interest in chasing fast people. Stopping to eat my bacon and egg roll while it was still warm just made more sense.
Once i got rid of everyone i set into a nice routine of
ride slow for a bit
take photos
have a snack
repeat

It was my first visit to Mudgee and i really liked it. It was very pretty and not much traffic.I would recommend it to anyone. There are plenty of options for whatever level you are at. It's also the kind a place you could take non cycling family/friends and they would enjoy it.
Saturday night i stayed with some very cool locals i met through the warmshowers website. It's like couchsurfers for cyclists.Good for anyone planning a tour.

Return to “Road”