Sydney to Gong 2007 charity ride report ... DHBC team

Road cycling & upcoming rides
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Nov 2007, 10:21

While the fixie boy were on their inaugural fixie century, a number of us who didn't have a fixie were mounting our own personal challenges on the 26th edition of the Sydney to Gong 2007 charity ride.

As at the end of the ride, with 6 members (Sue Spiropoulos, Michael Kennedy, Michael Langdon, Fouad Aswad, Belinda Kerr and myself), DHBC team raised $3060 for the Multiple Sclerosis Society, placing us at 60th position (out of 420) amongst all the corporate teams. And as far as I can see, the highest placed cycling club team. Sue was our top fund raiser at $1055. Fantastic job everyone!

http://register.gongride.org.au/?Dulwic ... cycle+Club

So back to the day. The weather was always going to be the variable for the day. With BOM predicting rain, thunderstorm and then clearing showers, I didn't know what to expect. Watching the doppler radar and satellite images, I finally decided to take the Ridley out for the spin. Got up at 5am and geared up but was running late for the meet up with MichaelK. Didn't see him and couldn't get a response on the mobile, I rode on toward St Peters by myself. Arriving at the start at 6:05, there were already a good gathering of cyclists. It didn't take long to find our group and we had our team photo taken right at 6:15, with the start line in the background and the gun going off. Then we joined the starting queue and was on our way.

Like last year, the route was well managed with police at key junctions with clearly marked lanes. The congestion gradually dissipated as we rode toward Brighton Le Sand. Unfortunately, the rain also started at that point, putting a dull mood on everyone. Everyone stayed drenched until close to Waterfall when blue sky returned for a much safer descent down the Waterfall hill. Eventhough, we came across around 5-6 riders being attended to on the side of the road around half way down. For me, the climb out of RNP felt much easier than last year and is definitely easier than our regular club RNP climbs. I guess the training efforts of last 12 months have paid off.

So we rode on and despite some swirling winds, the weather was generally kind to us. MichaelK put in a great effort on his first Gong ride and was keeping up real well. Along the way we bumped into Adrian and Chris but they rode ahead while we took it easy. As we enjoyed the weather, the idea of riding back firmed.

Then it was the finish line which was in a park this year. With the artificial paving over grass, there's no sprinting possible. It was lucky to not slip off the rubber matting. The two Michael and I rode in together to get our little Gong ride badge. And there waiting for us was Fouad, who charged ahead for a sub-3 hour finish.

We rested on the grass, dried out our gears and had lunch. At that time, Eric also showed up. A memorable team photo resulted...

With Fouad the driving force, MichaelL, Eric and myself signed up for the ride back. We followed the Gong ride route until the bike path. With the large number of riders coming in the opposite direction, we went back to the highway for some sanity. The rolling hills and rising temperature was starting to hit us all. We all thanked Fouad for not leading us onto that evil Bulli Pass. After putting up a strong effort, MichaelL decided to take the train at Thirroul, probably a smart move that I should have opted too. So it was left to the three of us. The ride up Lawrence Hargrave Dr toward Stanwell Tops/Otford was a killer for me. The constant gradient gave no rest and I had to stop twice. The fact that my iPod ran out of charge on the return didn't help my uphill efforts either. Eric amazingly was able to push on on his 39-21 despite a cramp earlier. All along the climb, I could hear the descenders coming the other way commenting on those crazy guys riding back... While my chain grinded away due to an utter lack of lubrication. The water tap Fouad led us to at some point after Stanwell Tops was like an oasis in the desert. I douched my head and felt much better. The technique really works!

Fouad parted way after the 7-11 at Sutherland. Eric and I pushed on on our regular Sun Waterfall return route. The ride back from Waterfall felt really strange with the heavier traffic, very different to our early morning rides. Rolling along the Boulevard we were joined by a small bunch of Ride for Cure riders. They took over the pull when we got tired. Everyone on the return ride seemed to know how everyone else felt. By the time Eric and I rode past Tempe, I was too tired to turn for the velodrome, I just wanted to get home for a shower and a lie down. At that stage, my shoulders were aching badly and the sunburns were starting to sting. But surprisingly my bottom felt normal and definitely no saddle neuropathy like last year's ride. I did the final 10km for home after parting with Eric at Marrickville. Got home at 3:45pm knowing that I've achieved another milestone. A big thanks to all my fellow riders for the encouragements. Till next year...

Final ride stats for me,
Total distance: 183.74km (Yep, my first imperial century)
Time: 7 hr 16min
Ave Speed: 25.29km/h

PS. Official team photos will follow when available.
Last edited by weiyun on 24 Oct 2008, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 05 Nov 2007, 19:49

Guys congratulations... fantastic effort. Wieyun 183.74km that's serious km's & you beat us fixies... 8)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Nov 2007, 20:20

Guys congratulations... fantastic effort. Wieyun 183.74km that's serious km's & you beat us fixies... 8)
Thanks Lindsay. You have been an inspiration to this target.

The jump from 115km, my previous one day max, to 183km felt huge. Maybe not as bad as the first time I came on the Waterfall ride but I am starting to understand what the pros put their body through during a grand tour. Pretty insane.

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 06 Nov 2007, 14:22

Good report Weiyun.

I found that two days in bed with virus was not the best preperation. Both Weiyun and Michael L were very supportive in their waiting for me at the top of hill etc and it was great to ride in together.

Next year I have to do the return ride as well.

micklan

Postby micklan » 07 Nov 2007, 13:03

Excellent report Weiyun. Thanks for the ride, and a big congratulations in making your way back - sorry I couldn't stick with you guys - on the special Aircon train back from Thirrol I was thinking of u guys as my physical exertion headache subsided.

Sponsorship for Gong ride is at $3365 now with a matched donation to my $250 from Standards Australia.

[[How do you upload photos to the forum? I;ve got a couple to upload]]

Michael Langdon

micklan

Postby micklan » 07 Nov 2007, 13:39

:D got it

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Nov 2007, 13:53

Wow, that's what a real camera can do! MichaelK looked real pleased in that photo.

Good to know that you've found that AC train. I am still suffering from the sunburn...

BTW, the official photos are up, but the photo outfit's server has died under the traffic flow.
http://www.bicyclephotos.com.au/

micklan

Postby micklan » 08 Nov 2007, 09:30

Weiyun - this is amazing- thanks for the links :o
not sure how you did it with that steam train server :!:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Nov 2007, 11:13

I found those links very early this morning while their server had a bit more life and thought that it would save everyone's time to just transfer the links. No idea of Fouad's time so didn't go fishing.

Some of them looked great but don't look at the price. :twisted:
Last edited by weiyun on 08 Nov 2007, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 08 Nov 2007, 11:32

Great report and photos. Not sure I can add much to what Weiyun has written. I was out the front alone as of Brighton-Le-Sands and for the rest of the ride. Rolled in past the finish line at 9:09am for a time of 2:49 minutes. Despite the rain, I thought the conditions were way more favourable than last year. The ride back was so gratifying.

I'll add the links to my photos from that disaster of a website once the traffic on their server have died down a bit.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 09 Nov 2007, 08:39

2:49 is a pretty good effort. I only managed about 2:54 last year.

James

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 09 Nov 2007, 12:22

Last year's weather conditions were by far worse than this year's. There is not doubt you would have been considerably faster this year had you taken the plunge.

By the way, how did you go with your Sydney-Melbourne adventure? I tried to access your fundraising page several times but it appeared to be down everytime I tried. I probably should try again after digging out the link from the other post.
2:49 is a pretty good effort. I only managed about 2:54 last year.

James

Return to “Road”