C25s ride report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 23 Oct 2011, 11:32

We had the best C25s ride I've been on for a while with a bunch of about 20 or so and about one third as new riders. Everyone rode really well and we kept the bunch together nicely with some great calling from the back and up the line (thanks Jeremy, Anthony and Danny). We even managed a few turns at a pace line. A good ride from everyone in the bunch and we managed an average of 26.3 given no-one was straggling at all. Some people would have liked to go a bit harder even which is good.

Liam and Bill were there from the juniors and both rode really well. I'm really pleased to see juniors turning up in the C25s and C28s recently and contributing to the bunch and building their road skills. Liam's mum rode as well and is off to the Adventure Racing World Championships in Tassie http://www.xpd.com.au/ in a couple of weeks. Sounds like excellent fun! There's nearly 100 teams. ...and we thought Tassie was only penny farthings and touring.

Jo, Aimee, Camilla and Anthony? took off into RNP to get in some extra work. Our bunch got alot quieter when Jo and Aimee left - I swear they didn't stop talking the entire ride up to Loftus :) I kept hearing random things about coffee and keiren frames.

We saw a crash on the stretch just north of Waterfall which was a bit sobering. We spotted it before the turnaround and it looked like it had just happened. By the time we reached it on the way back, the ambos and cops were there and they said the guy was "OK". No idea what happened because it was on the straight stretch of road.

We all got back in one piece and our anxiety that the cafe had been taken over by the festival was unfounded. Coffee!

Thanks C25ers

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 23 Oct 2011, 19:09

Nice ride report Eleri. Haha... Yes, Aimee and I had a lot to catch up on! And they do say you are burning fat if you can talk while you are exercising. I'm off to Japan in a couple of weeks so needed the lowdown on Keiren frames... 8)

Aimee, Camilla, Andrew and I left at the Audley exit to go into RNP. But, as you can imagine, there was not much talking after that! Having not done it before it didn't occur to me that one bottle of water would not be sufficient over two ascents. Still, we made it to Waterfall and the nice man at the seafood cafe filled up my water bottle. We took a back street on the way home that was parallel to the Grand Parade and avoided the worst of the traffic at that late hour. We got back to Marrickville around 10:45-11am just as the festival was getting into full swing.

Only 15km difference but they were a big 15km!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Oct 2011, 06:41

Nice ride report Eleri. Haha... Yes, Aimee and I had a lot to catch up on! And they do say you are burning fat if you can talk while you are exercising. I'm off to Japan in a couple of weeks so needed the lowdown on Keiren frames... 8)

Aimee, Camilla, Andrew and I left at the Audley exit to go into RNP. But, as you can imagine, there was not much talking after that! Having not done it before it didn't occur to me that one bottle of water would not be sufficient over two ascents. Still, we made it to Waterfall and the nice man at the seafood cafe filled up my water bottle. We took a back street on the way home that was parallel to the Grand Parade and avoided the worst of the traffic at that late hour. We got back to Marrickville around 10:45-11am just as the festival was getting into full swing.

Only 15km difference but they were a big 15km!
There's two ways to do the Park, the hard way, or the not as hard way. In at Audley is the Hard Way. The run from Flat Rock Creek to just short of the Garrie Beach turnoff is slightly uphill the whole way and really makes you suffer.

James

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 24 Oct 2011, 23:55

Oh, come on girls! There was still a wee bit of chatting in the Park! Even if most of the words were only 4 letters long.

First time I've ridden with the 25s in ages and I was really impressed. I spent a good chunk of it up the back catching up with Anthony and even though there were a number of new riders it was tight. Nice work everyone.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Oct 2011, 06:19

Oh, come on girls! There was still a wee bit of chatting in the Park! Even if most of the words were only 4 letters long.

First time I've ridden with the 25s in ages and I was really impressed. I spent a good chunk of it up the back catching up with Anthony and even though there were a number of new riders it was tight. Nice work everyone.
Eleri as always does a great job with the 25's, usually Geoff Semon is there to give a hand, but the 25's bunch is getting really huge and we probably need 2 people in that bunch when the numbers get high, it's too much for 1 person. Sorry I couldn't help Sunday Eleri as I had to get back to guests at home. I believe you had some willing helpers though.

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 Oct 2011, 07:55

Adventure racing? man theres so many other cool ways to ride a bike where your wheels can slide out hey!!!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 25 Oct 2011, 19:00

We saw a crash on the stretch just north of Waterfall which was a bit sobering. We spotted it before the turnaround and it looked like it had just happened. By the time we reached it on the way back, the ambos and cops were there and they said the guy was "OK". No idea what happened because it was on the straight stretch of road.
Found out today that he was a solo rider and hit some debris and just came down. Four Zeal of Zebras were behind him and narrowly missed coming down as well.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Oct 2011, 19:53

Not unheard of. There's been quite a few spectacular crashes on that straight stretch over the years. It was especially dicey before the days they resurfaced that section. Then there's the random brick, road kill and even cat eyes have been known to have caused issues. A few years ago, a lady SCC rider darted wildly out of their bunch at speed and crossed 2 lanes of traffic and crashed into the median strip. It was lucky she didn't get collected by a 100km/h vehicles. Yep, she hit one of those cat eyes and lost control.

Danny

Postby Danny » 26 Oct 2011, 08:11

I good friend of mine was riding with the group that had the fall. It was cat eye in the middle of the lane.

The rider came down pretty hard and was very lucky to be wearing a helmet. Help was on hand pretty quickly and he was taken to hospital.

The last I heard, there was a fractured collar bone but nothing more serious. He was in good spirits on Sunday afternoon and keen to get back on the bike

Return to “Road”