Race Report Heffron Park 20th May 2007

Road cycling & upcoming rides
lindsay

Postby lindsay » 20 May 2007, 14:52

It was a beautiful fine Autunm afternoon with a moderate North Westerly breeze. D grade had Peter having his second race, Geoff & me. With last weeks race under his belt Peter took a great position in the bunch sitting about 4th wheel and even though it was a harder race than last week with some nasty side winds lasted 6 laps, a lap better than last week. So he was happy with that, it won't be long before he's contesting the sprints. I raced as flat as a pancake and would dutyfully go to the front do a turn and go to the back where I counted every lap off and hoped for no attacks. Geoff rode a tidy race and with a desire on the sprint made a break on the squrikle, however a little too early. I did my best to block a rider who I considered a threat to the workers at the front.

C grade had Mike & B grade Kieran. Mike stayed around the back part of the race until about lap 12 where he was off the back & Peter & I wrote him off as one of the casulities of the strong cross winds. Then next lap I peer down the straight to get a glimpse as c grade approached and at the front is a red jersey & blue helmet, "No" I says to myself it couldn't be but yes it was Mike leading them down the straight, well done effort to get back to the front.

Kieran had to fight off a soccer ball bitting him mid race. He kept his usual position up the front working. However B grade had an early break away and these 2 riders just kept on increasing their distance never to be caught. Another rider made a break on the 2nd last lap. Our Kieran took his chance and made a break on the bell, good work. Kieran propelled himself to victory with a mad final push down the straight to his winning spot, or so he thought. His first words to me were "I won it". "Sorry" I says "you were 4th" "What 4th?" "Yeh 4th" Then a rider comes up to Kieran puts out his hand and says "Well done, 4th is good" Well atleast he had 1 1/2 minutes of glory.

Thumbs up from Petacchi

The good spot for a start

Mike pushes away in C grade start

Mid race for Keiran means lots of rolling turns to pressure the bunch

Oh Gaud... he's dropped

He's back... and he's leading them out.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2007, 15:07

Ummm... Classy move MikeC! That's a text book version of attacking off the rear. The psychological impact on the forward bunch is just devastating. And obviously it needs to be seen to be believed. 8)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2007, 23:07

Over the last 2 weeks I've taken some pictures of D and E grade with my phone and the have turned out to be quite crappy, all execpt one.

Here's the crappy photo's
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/5057 ... 69d3_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/5057 ... 1fbb_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/5057 ... 879a_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/5057 ... c419_o.jpg

Here's the good one
We'll still not that good...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2007, 23:11

I should add that I was quite pleased with my result, I had bad legs before the race, had suffered a cramp just riding there, suffered constant cramps during the race and still managed to get myself near the pointy end for the sprint, but I knew the sprint wasn't going to be mine that day, as I didn't have the legs, so I had taken the opportunity to see how C grade sprint, as I'm yet to be involved in a C grade sprint, I've not been in it or I was off the front. It didn't look that hard yesterday, just need some legs under me....

Return to “Road”