NSW Masters Road & Crit Champs - May 14,15 Results up

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Apr 2011, 22:19

Last edited by mikesbytes on 20 May 2011, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 28 Apr 2011, 13:27

Entered. Like a lift Mike?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Apr 2011, 14:01

Entered. Like a lift Mike?
Yes please, thankyou

Our race is at 12.30 so we might as well go down Sat morning.

I'll find out about the place that included cooked breakie at $80

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Apr 2011, 21:31

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 12 May 2011, 18:51

men's M3, M4 & M5 road race route >> http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/34110462/
Last edited by Trouty on 13 May 2011, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

weller

Postby weller » 12 May 2011, 21:28

Beers for sure!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 May 2011, 07:50

Beers for sure!
A few of us are staying at the Alpine Heritage Hotel which is 2km from the start line in Goulburn. I gather you guys are all going to the dinner at the RSL? See you there.
(Camilla, Eleri, Mark Hales, and Me). See you guys at the race. Good Luck.

http://www.alpineheritagemotel.com.au/

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 May 2011, 09:11

I gather you guys are all going to the dinner at the RSL?
Of course, we need to see who can drink more beers than Crafty and still get up the pointy end in the crit

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 May 2011, 11:07

The Women's & MM6+ road race route - 58 k's

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/34190518/

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 May 2011, 11:14

The Women's & MM6+ road race route - 58 k's

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/34190518/
Out and back, should suit you, it misses the real hills

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 14 May 2011, 22:16

The road bit is over. Hard winds, exceptionally cold weather and none of the DHBC crew managed to win anything today. I'm sure that most of the medal getters all came from other cold, windy climes.

I am advised by my roomies (all five of them) that we are all satisfied with our performances and performed as expected.

We've just come back from the Goulburn Workers Club for the dinner and presentation. Prue Goward was wearing a rabbit skin coat which would have been quite handy whilst waiting for the race to start.

Tomorrow we've got the crits at Marulan. I'm sure others will provide a more fulsome account of their races.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 May 2011, 22:19

Conditions in Goulburn for this race were cold, windy and sunny.

Every rider will have a story for today, this is mine

Something like 50 riders, I don't know the exact amount
0-10k The pace was hot in the cross wind and riders were already being dropped
10 - 15k Dropped on the hill at 10k, I worked really hard with a bunch of 4 riders to ride back on
15 - 25k I felt comfortable in the bunch but it split up going up a hill at 25k. By this point most of climbers had been dropped by the more powerful riders.
25 - 35k The first group of riders I worked with broke apart and I ended up riding solo up to the next bunch or riders who wern't going that well up a hill, so I just rode past them, however they caught me on the downhill and then we worked really hard, we rode thru the motorcade and got within a few metres of the bunch but didn't get on.
35 - 55k At 35k I rode off solo and once again went thru the motorcade to go within about 20mtrs of the bunch only not to get on. Eventually the pursuing bunch caught me and we worked really hard again to get up to the back of motorcade but not past as we went up the hill at 52k. On the other side the main bunch simply rode away from us. Then at about 55k I was dropped from the pursuing bunch.
55k - 72k At the base of big hill segment (62 - 72k) I could still see the leading bunch, but I was spent, 7k solo didn't exactly help either. I knew there was no way I could catch them and focused on the hills in front of me. Eventually another rider caught me but it was short lived and then another rider caught me and this time we worked together
72 - 82k Started with a big downhill then we rode directly into a headwind on open planes, it was tough work, but we caught the other solo rider just at the end.
82 - 85k What a relief, we turned right and got cross wind, which was so much better than that head wind, we rolled together. With a couple of hundred meters to go, one said that he wouldn't sprint for it, so I asked the other if he wanted to sprint and he said yes, so we sprinted with 50mtrs to go and I bet him. Comment on the line was that I was only about 3 minutes behind the winner, but I suspect it would of been more than that.

I don't know my finish place, but I suspect something like 20 - 25th out of 50. Will wait for the results to be posted in a couple of days.

In the bunch sprint for the win were riders that I had successfully competed against in the Canberra Tour and in the Australian track champs points race, so I should of done better than I did, but having said that, a lot of riders who didn't finish with the bunch.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 May 2011, 16:04

Sunday Crit Race, 30 minutes + 3 laps

The course was like a miniature eastern creek

Pace was hot off the line and riders were been shed every lap, Weller was an early victim but Mark L did an excellent job to hang on. I was feeling good, but made a bad tactical mistake not to go with a break of 2 riders, one of which ended up staying away for the entire race. Part way thru the race one rider went off the front and I saw this as my opportunity and chased after him, caught him, caught my breath and then took my turn at the front, but he was spent and dropped off leaving me out by myself. Being 17 seconds behind the breakaway, I rode tempo in the hope that someone would come an join me, but they didn't so I slowed up and let the pack consume me about 2 laps later. Mark was still there. At about the 25 minute mark, I went off the front again, this time chasing only one rider as one had blown, but no one came with me, so after a lap I pulled the pin. Last lap there was a crash in front of me and I lost some ground and while I pulled it back, it was time where I would of being moving myself up. I had been riding around the riders on the technical corners all race, my better cornering skills made it easy to move up, only pedal scrapped once the whole race. Coming into the final corner was I too far back, I rode past 2 riders in the sprint to finish 8th. Mark did really well to finish with the bunch, while he doesn't know his finishing position, I'm guessing 12th. Crafty congratulated Mark for staying on.

33 entries, not sure how many actually raced

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 May 2011, 16:51

I am advised by my roomies (all five of them) that we are all satisfied with our performances and performed as expected.
Yes with exception of Lacey, Mike, Denker and Weller - all of us staying at the Alpine Heritage Motel weren't expecting great results on the road race, but had fun participating. Hales, Camilla, Eleri and I, all either got dropped from the main bunch and finished the race on our own, or dropped out of the race early due to pace or injury. It was freezing and windy and you couldn't feel your face or any body parts (I've never raced in conditions this cold) - many people were broken Saturday, not just DHBC. I must say the organizers did a great job. THere were spare wheels, spare bikes, sag wagons all on call every time a rider stopped. Very professional. I would even say the food at the Official RSL dinner was surprisingly good - given the hundred or so people they were serving.

The Crit was such a different day - Sunny and pleasant, perfect spectator spots, no wind, and Crafty calling the action. Awesome track - exactly like a mini Eastern Creek, but only 1km long and some very technical turns. Both Eleri and I enjoyed the track and the racing today. Unfortunately as usual (always a bridesmade never a bride), I got a 4th for W4 and that was the best I could do on the day. I guess with each race it highlights all the skills you need to work on. Positioning, cornering, knowing what wheel to follow - are just as important as sprint and endurance training. It was unfortunate Camilla was injured as I think she would have loved the track, although her division was pretty fast with the likes of Trudy van? (her name escapes me) almost lapping the field and riding solo within the first 5 - 10 minutes.

Anyway - nice weekend away with my roomies, but no salacious gossip to report, apart from Camilla and Mark Hales sharing the same bed. IF Goulburn wasn't so cold, IF all of us at the Alpine Lodge Hotel had got on the podium - IT WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST PERFECT. We all can only dream!!.
Last edited by Trouty on 15 May 2011, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 15 May 2011, 17:22

I was happy with both my rides and certainly got a good workout. Like Jo said the crit was great. The course looked scarier than it actually was. I stayed with the bunch for a little while but got dropped when I backed the wrong woman and she dropped off the pace before I realised, then I and a few others couldn't get back on. I stayed in a loose chasing bunch of maybe 3 before they too dropped off and died. So at least I beat 2 others and one of them had won the road race in her age div the day before so I felt pretty good about that. Especially because I beat both of them by being able corner much better than either of them so I got a good run up into the uphill. Whoever would have thought I would beat someone on a hill! Let alone 2 people.

In the end I got lapped by the main bunch but it was my first time in a State crit and road race so I reckon I did OK to finish both races :)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 May 2011, 17:50

Especially because I beat both of them by being able corner much better than either of them so I got a good run up into the uphill. Whoever would have thought I would beat someone on a hill! Let alone 2 people.

In the end I got lapped by the main bunch but it was my first time in a State crit and road race so I reckon I did OK to finish both races :)
All those years cornering on the motor bike Eleri have paid off well. I think you did brilliantly on both days and a great effort in your first State crit/road race.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2011, 10:56

Results are up

Road

Crit

Eleri, was the star performer on the weekend.

In the road race, I can see that I lost about 5 minutes in the last 40k after blowing up and doing most of the remainder solo

Return to “Road”