Adventure Rides 2011- 6am 13th Nov-Hawkesbury Explorer

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 12 Jun 2011, 06:47

Adam and I are hard core. We went to slowies yesterday in the rain, but we had no friends.

According to something I read on fb, Audley Weir was flooded yesterday and therefore closed. Not that we were going that way but it says something about how much water is in the park. Pity, I was looking forward to a 30km tailwind through the park!
Now you can laze about at home today then. Stuart was very keen to go to Bundeena but is now happily back in slumberland snoring like a trooper.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 16 Jun 2011, 22:33

The ride is this Sunday. For those who came in late, or forgot because of weather events. Here it is again.

We will go Royal National Park, Waterfall in and Bundeena out with a trip on the ferry. We'll leave from the corner of Marrickville and Illawarra Roads in Marrickville at 6.30am and ride up with the bunch. Pace will be about 26. There's a 10am ferry from Bundeena. We should be back at Marrickville at about 11.30 unless we stop for coffee in Cronulla or have one in Bundeena whilst waiting for the ferry.

The weather looks like it will be good this Sunday, possibly chilly so rug up for the descent into RNP. Who's in?

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 18 Jun 2011, 09:01

I'm in...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Jun 2011, 09:21

I'll be there too after my fail at getting out of bed for slowies this morning. Which bunch are we going to ride to Waterfall with, C28's or C25's or are we creating our own bunch?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Jun 2011, 10:03

I reckon we go with the 25s based on the current roll call. We need to pace ourselves :)

It's looking like weather is on our side. A nice 17 degree day and with a southwesterly ie a tail wind on the way down to Bundeena.

AlexD

Postby AlexD » 18 Jun 2011, 12:07

Count me in, sounds great. I really like the RNP but I've never been to Bundeena.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Jun 2011, 12:40

I've never been to Bundeena.
Nor me! It will be a true adventure ride. Fortunately Stuart knows how to get back from Cronulla.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 19 Jun 2011, 13:13

Thank all for a good ride today. Can't wait for the next one.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 19 Jun 2011, 13:42

We did have a great ride and the weather was just perfect. So much better than last Sunday so it was a good thing we waited.

After an uneventful ride to Waterfall and a good descent into RNP, the hill on the other side took some newbies by surprise :)

We got to Bundeena about a quarter past nine. Bundeena Road was such fun, mostly downhill and a good run with very few cars or anything. Stopped at Cafe Manna for a coffee and snacks while we waited for the ferry at 10am.

The whole crew

At the jetty which disturbingly seemed to be half under water - I thought they were supposed to float.

And on the ferry, a historical ferry and the oldest operating one in Australia. We say "no" to the cynics who said it was the last surviving because all the others sank. In fact, it was a fine ferry and very well operated.

Some of us checked out the houses overlooking Cronulla bay and deemed them wanting in a number of aspects. We applied the very best of inner west aestheticism (is that a word? I don't mean athleticism) in making that judgement.

Once we got to Cronulla, fortunately Stuart DID know the way and we made it safely back to Marickville by 11.37am.

All good. Flat tyres 0, accidents 0, riders dropped 0, getting lost 0.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 19 Jun 2011, 13:51

It was a great ride and great company. Sadly, however, I'll have to do a lot of hill training before I can make a reasonable showing of that particular aspect - or any other hills in fact. Still, that bit of struggle was well worth it. Thanks to our ride leader, Eleri, and navigator, Stuart.

Woops - actually this is Adam. Comes of Eleri using my computer to put the report up.

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 19 Jun 2011, 15:30

Had a great day. Sunshine, coffee, company, a boat trip, and 900m+ of descending according to the garmin.

Expertly led by Eleri, and navigated by the tag team of Eleri & Stuart.

Thanks all,
Andrew

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Jun 2011, 16:13

Had a great day out and couldn't have asked for better weather & the coffee was even drinkable. I've been on a ferry before on a ride but the Berowra car ferry really doesn't cut it compared to this beauty.

I think my Blackberry takes better photo's than Eleri's though.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 19 Jun 2011, 21:57

And now I want to cry all over again. I love that ride down to Bundeena, and the ferry trip back to Cronulla. But at 5am I still had an ice-pack on the back of my neck so thoguht I'd better make caution the better part of valour. Glad you all had such a lovely time and the weather was so good for it. How funny are some of those houses!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 Jun 2011, 07:40

We missed you Camilla! But probably better in the long run that you stayed off the bike.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 17 Jul 2011, 21:39

Are there any volunteers for the 14th August ride as yet? I just realised that the 10th July has been and gone already.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 17 Jul 2011, 22:03

Are there any volunteers for the 14th August ride as yet? I just realised that the 10th July has been and gone already.
Sadly, no-one volunteered to organise 10th July but there is the 21st August ride. Details are posted here in a separate post http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2549

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Jul 2011, 00:01

Hey Nozzle, do you want to captain the September ride?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Jul 2011, 08:58

Hey Nozzle, do you want to captain the September ride?
I've bagged Sep - :D
Sun 11th Sep - The famous 'Three Gorges' ride at a Cruisers26 (C26) pace. That's just a bit faster than Sun Cruisers but not C28's.
- Ride Captain: Stuart
- Route: Marrickville-Bobbin Head-Berowra-Galston-Hornsby-Marrickville (120k's). Link to a basic route map - may change

Potential to bail at Hornsby station at the 80k mark (after the climbing). The route I've mapped is via the Pacific Hwy. We will probably ride out that way but may choose a different return route. Suggestions anybody?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Jul 2011, 11:50

Stuart, talk to James F about the route out

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 18 Jul 2011, 21:59

I'm in for 'The Gorges'. As for captaining a ride, I'm still too green as I pretty much stick to my commute and Waterfall Sundays. I'm keen to tackle some hills. Where are some good ones that are yet to be exploited in the Adventure Rides to date?

Noel

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 19 Jul 2011, 07:26

I'm in for 'The Gorges'. As for captaining a ride, I'm still too green as I pretty much stick to my commute and Waterfall Sundays. I'm keen to tackle some hills. Where are some good ones that are yet to be exploited in the Adventure Rides to date?

Noel
Noel - you can have an idea for a ride without having to be a ride leader. In fact you can't be a ride leader unless you are a Cycle Skills Coach. However some people, and really I mean me, are devoid of ideas and can often be inspired by someone else taking the initiative and helping with the route planning. I think Mike is suggesting you claim a date and an idea and ask for a ride leader.

There's lots of gorges on the north side, the main problem is getting to them. A start at Hornsby makes that easier, but the train trip adds a fair bit of time. Same problem any direction really! Except East. No reason why we can't traverse places we've been before, mostly that's easier and a bit safer because the route is known.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 19 Jul 2011, 15:38

Good to know Eleri... I was wondering the same thing as Noel but thought I would be too inexperienced.

I will get my thinking hat on for any month no one takes up...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Jul 2011, 18:05

I had an idea for a ride that gets a train to Berowra, rides up the Old Pacific Hwy via Pie in the Sky and on to Gosford to get the train back. or something close to that anyway. In summer it could maybe go al the way to the coast for a swim too.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 19 Jul 2011, 19:12

Thanks Eleri,

I really enjoyed the ride around Akuna Bay. I'd definitely be keen for that again, but add in West Head. Any takers? Would have to be an early start with a few less pit stops as the traffic starts to get a bit nuts on the return via Mosman.

Noel

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2011, 22:12

I had an idea for a ride that gets a train to Berowra, rides up the Old Pacific Hwy via Pie in the Sky and on to Gosford to get the train back. or something close to that anyway. In summer it could maybe go al the way to the coast for a swim too.
I did that ride around March. I left about 11am and rode Marrickville to Ettalong beach. The road between pie in the sky to where the cars exit the motorway to go to Gosford was pretty good, not much traffic at all. Busy from that point onwards, but downhill.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Jul 2011, 10:02

Forgot to say I'm in for the August ride but will bail at either Wollongong or Albian Rail, depending on how I'm going. Well, that's the plan for now anyway, I may be encouraged to keep riding but 120k's is normally my absolute limit.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Jul 2011, 10:52

Stuart, I'm guessing you will have company. Though your miss out on lunch at Jambroo pub

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 21 Jul 2011, 16:23

I've bagged Sep - :D
Sun 11th Sep - The famous 'Three Gorges' ride at a Cruisers26 (C26) pace. That's just a bit faster than Sun Cruisers but not C28's.
- Ride Captain: Stuart
- Route: Marrickville-Bobbin Head-Berowra-Galston-Hornsby-Marrickville (120k's). Link to a basic route map - may change

Potential to bail at Hornsby station at the 80k mark (after the climbing). The route I've mapped is via the Pacific Hwy. We will probably ride out that way but may choose a different return route. Suggestions anybody?
Hey Stuart,

This is the route we've done for the 3 Gorges:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90489651

The return route was shown to me by Peter O'S. lt parallels the Pacific Hwy with mostly low traffic and some additional climbing :wink: We use the cycleway/ footpath to come back over Gladsville bridge.

l plan to head south on that day, otherwise l may have tagged along :D

Cheers

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 12 Aug 2011, 19:44

I am keen on three gorges.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Aug 2011, 17:31

Following the great success of the Eleri & Mike C run 160k ride, next up is the three gorges on Sunday 11th Sep leaving Marrickville at 6:00am. Final route not yet finalised as the return journey has several options. We will however ride out via the Pacific Hwy. Pace will be fast cruisers, which to me means somewhere between C25's and C28's. Total distance around 120k's but there are bail out options aplenty via the train. We'll be doing this via the 'easier' route of Bobbin Head-Berowra-Galston.

To do this ride you should have at least completed several Waterfall rides with the C25's or faster and be comfortable riding in fairly high traffic situations. There are some longish climbs and some fun descents, although descending to Berowra requires a fair degree of caution due to the skinny and bumpy road.

More details soon.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Aug 2011, 17:33

Startlist for Three Gorges, Sun 11th Sep, 6:00am. (pls copy/paste & add yourself).

1. Stuart

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Aug 2011, 18:13

Noel - you can have an idea for a ride without having to be a ride leader. In fact you can't be a ride leader unless you are a Cycle Skills Coach.
In the days before, we went on organized rides without all these designations and still worked. If a member has an interest and knowledge of the route to organize a ride, then he/she is entitled to it and can certainly lead the ride. Obviously not a club sanctioned Ride Leader, but a ride leader for a privately organized ride bunch. Nothing wrong with it. If an accredited rider joins it, then it's only natural for the said rider to assist. That's all.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 23 Aug 2011, 19:27

Startlist for Three Gorges, Sun 11th Sep, 6:00am. (pls copy/paste & add yourself).

1. Stuart
2. Eleri

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 23 Aug 2011, 21:20

1. Stuart
2. Eleri
3. Jeremy

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Aug 2011, 07:14

Following the great success of the Eleri & Mike C run 160k ride, next up is the three gorges on Sunday 11th Sep leaving Marrickville at 6:00am. Final route not yet finalised as the return journey has several options. We will however ride out via the Pacific Hwy. Pace will be fast cruisers, which to me means somewhere between C25's and C28's. Total distance around 120k's but there are bail out options aplenty via the train. We'll be doing this via the 'easier' route of Bobbin Head-Berowra-Galston.

To do this ride you should have at least completed several Waterfall rides with the C25's or faster and be comfortable riding in fairly high traffic situations. There are some longish climbs and some fun descents, although descending to Berowra requires a fair degree of caution due to the skinny and bumpy road.

More details soon.
Sorry? The easier way of Bobbin Berowra Galston? Surely you mean the other way around. Galston/Berowra/Bobbin is the easier way to do it, and this is for a couple of reasons.

First, if you do it starting at Galston, the climbs are 3km @ 5.2%, 4.1km @ 5.1% and 3.9km @ 4%, compared to starting at Bobbin of 3km @ 5.4%, 3.6km @ 5% and 3.5km @ 5.3%.

Secondly, if you're feeling tired and you started through Galston, you can optionally skip Bobbin Head and regroup with the bunch at the South Exit of Bobbin Head, saving yourself a hill, you don't have this option if you start at Bobbin Head. And don't forget that as you leave Berowra Waters, you pretty much shadow the railway line, so there is nearly always an "out" if you want it.

As far as the hills go, the West side of Galston changes it's gradient, so it isn't a super easy climb, while the East side of Berowra is pretty steady, and the South of Bobbin is in two stages, easier, and then ramping it up for the second part. While on paper the Galston climb is easier compared to the Berowra Climb, it is generally considered harder. Compared to those two, Bobbin Head is a doddle. The only thing to watch when doing the loop this way is that you need to put your bike in the lowest gear before getting onto the Ferry at Berowra Waters. There isn't any flat on the Eastern side.

When doing the loop by starting at Bobbin Head, the North side of Bobbin is a harder climb compared to the South Side, it is significantly steeper, and not a lot shorter. The West side of Berowra is a real pain, it's steep, and you get a good false flat towards the end that really knocks you around. This is not a favourite climb amongst the Renegade Bunch.

I suggest that you reconsider the way that you are doing this loop. Personally, I think that the easier way is starting at Galston.

James

Compare this to the reverse (starting at Bobbin), the North side of Bobbin Head is a

timyone

Postby timyone » 24 Aug 2011, 10:37

Lol!! Thank you for that in-depth analysis of the gorges!

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 24 Aug 2011, 10:38

I agree with James the easier way is Galston/Berowra/Bobbin.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Aug 2011, 10:45

Which way around dumps you at a place for a good feed at the right time of day?

Hung

Postby Hung » 24 Aug 2011, 11:18

don't leave the marrickville cafe :lol:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Aug 2011, 11:49

Most groups finish that ride by late morning. Lunch?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Aug 2011, 11:56

Off memory, its something like 125k, so a feed stop would be a popular choice

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Aug 2011, 12:10

There are coffee stops along that route, but just don't expect it to be open too early. There are lots of options at Berowra Waters, including well known restaurant by lunchtime. Book ahead. Then there's Mt Colah and well populated shopping area along the Pacific Hwy, before you enter Bobbin Head. And then there's at least one tea house close to the NP gate, along with eateries at Bobbin Head. So I don't think there's any worries.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Aug 2011, 12:16

If you finish in Bobbin Head, then you can stop at a Cafe on Bobbin Head Rd, if you exit at Galston, you're near Hornsby.

Additional on the route Direction.

If you exit from Bobbin head, then you bypass the big intersection on the Pacific Highway just past Hornsby, while if you exit at Galston, you'll either need to take the back route to get past it, or run the gauntlet.

James

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 24 Aug 2011, 13:28

I can't make this one. Disappointing... Would have been perfect to make the step up to 160km! Next time...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Aug 2011, 17:51

Thanks to you all so much for the detailed advice and reasoning re the route and I take the point around which way is easier. However, being the stubborn, hard bastard cyclist that I am, the plan is still to go in at Bobbin Head :shock:

Breakfast venue is planned as Rosie's Cafe Takeaway in beautiful Galston, purveyor of fine eggs, toast, coffee, bacon and other assorted breakfast requirements. (although I thought Weiyun's suggestion of some local Berowra places had merit, like the two hat Berowra Waters Inn, where the food is truly spectacular and the setting divine, although it doesn't open till 12:00 and min cost for food is $165 a head). The cafe is at approx. the 70k mark, after two of the climbs but before the one out of Galston itself - which will probably see us there around 9:30ish.

From there we will follow the trade winds and the road to Asquith, nipping down some back roads of my misspent youth to end up in Turramurra and then use the James Fowler approved return route via the bottom of Kissing Point Rd (we could even stop in at my brothers place for a coffee, or a beer), some lovely bush scenery and then onwards and over the Gladesville Bridge and thence home. I mean, it's supposed to be an adventure, not a training ride. :wink:

I'll post the route as soon as I get a chance to modify the one I posted before. lastly, I've heard some murmurings and if people would like to move it to the weekend after I can do that too (Sun 18th) but if those who've already said yes can't make that weekend, it stands as is.

Oh and on Sat 3rd Sep I'll be scoping out the route to/from Turramurra if anyone's keen to come along. 3-4 riders max to keep it simple.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 25 Aug 2011, 09:46

Stuart

The Lunch Bunch and I maybe starters for this (they are all fully paid up DHBC members). Could you please remind me of an approximate return to Marrickville Road Cafe time?

Cheers

Dougie

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 25 Aug 2011, 21:49

I've heard some murmurings and if people would like to move it to the weekend after I can do that too (Sun 18th) but if those who've already said yes can't make that weekend, it stands as is.
I'm one of those who already said yes. I actually can't do the weekend after because I'm doing a half marathon*. However, I forgot about that when I signed up for the ride and will see how I'm going. So don't organise anything around my availability.

* I don't care what you say. OK? :twisted:

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 26 Aug 2011, 08:17

1. Stuart
2. Eleri
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla*

*Assuming I can get out of bed. Have a BBQ the evening before that is likely to be EPIC. Oh, and I can't do the 18th because I'll be in Sicily. Just saying...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Aug 2011, 09:30

Stuart The Lunch Bunch and I maybe starters for this (they are all fully paid up DHBC members). Could you please remind me of an approximate return to Marrickville Road Cafe time? Cheers Dougie
depending on how fast we ride I'd say we'd be back by about 12:30 - it's 120k's so at 25kph that's about 5 hours plus stoppage time for breakfast, ferry ride etc.. There is also the option to get on a train at either Hornsby or Turramurra if you're time constrained.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 27 Aug 2011, 13:02

i am a starter for this ride as permission has been granted.

Dougie C27.5

sorry can't cut and paste from this phone. if whomever signs up next can add me on that would be good.

Cheers dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Aug 2011, 15:55

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 27 Aug 2011, 17:27

As I'm not the ride leader, this is just some suggestions which the ride leaders can take or ignore. I was going to suggest regroup points or each of the climbs, as well as some tactical tips for those who want to compete on the climbs.

Bobbin Head North, at the Toll Booth station on Ku-ring-gai Rd, this is a coule of k's past the top of the climb, but there is a large car park on the north side of the road, which does make a good regroup point.

Berowra Waters West, at the corner of Charltons Creek Rd and Bay Rd. This is just past the crest of the climb, and is on the left hand side of the road. It is on a sweeping right hand corner.

Galston Gorge East, at the bus shelter opposite Brett Rd on Galston Ave. Gives you somewhere nice to sit down.

Now, for tactics.

Bobbin Head North, the gradient on this climb is pretty steady, you can try attacking out of the hairpin near the Kalkari Discovery Centre, but you're still about 2km short of the top. It can be hard to pick where the top is until you know the climb, so pushing it all the way is probably the best bet unless you know where to attack.

Berowra Waters West, it starts of OK, but then steepens up, you'll think that it's done after this, but you get a good false flat before the climb is really over. Pushing it hard over the steep section can put the pressure on, but you need to maintain any gap over the false flat which can be hard. As you turn the last left hander, you can see the top, so now is the time to sprint for the KOM points, just be aware that everyone else is going to be doing the same.

Galston Gorge East, there are 6 hairpins on this climb, so counting down from the bottom, attack when coming out of number 2. The first 3 are in fairly rapid succession, so you can't get much of a gap on riders unless you are aggressive going through them, however, there is a good gap between number 2 and 1, so you can put the pace on and really make the others suffer. After exiting number 1, there is only a short distance to the end, but it isn't until you get into the suburbs again. Seeing houses is a reminder that the end is nigh, and again, you'll be able to see the top so you know what your aiming for.

James

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 27 Aug 2011, 18:25

Compete on the hills!!!! ha ha we might have the wrong people signed up James! But now I know where to watch out for people who
put the pace on and really make the others suffer.

Pretty sure Stuart and I will compete on the downhills though so if you want to send me some tips for that (pm :wink: ) that would be good.
Seeing houses is a reminder that the end is nigh
but not damn nigh enough from memory. The houses and the climb seemed to go on forever the one time I did Galston Gorge, although I had just ridden 150km so perhaps my perspective was warped.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Aug 2011, 22:15

Don't under-estimate the secret competitive nature of your fellow riders and yourself. They'll become self-evident soon enough. ;)

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 29 Aug 2011, 11:56

I'm back. I'm weak. I need toughening up.

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie
6. Ian (Karzie)

adam

Postby adam » 29 Aug 2011, 18:33

Against my better judgement ....

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie
6. Ian (Karzie)
7. Adam

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 04 Sep 2011, 16:00

OK - so Jo & I did the re-con ride on Sat and the return route is all sussed out. Nice route it is too, except for the Gladesville bridge bit, which stands as testament to the RTA's complete lack of interest in providing cycling infrastructure, or even access. Seriously, it sucks.

So here's the final route, which is basically: Marrickville-Harbour Bridge-Pacific Hwy-Bobbin Head-Berowra-(Breakfast)-Galston-Turramurra-Gladesville-Inner West.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/49072830/

This will be a C26.5 pace ride. So, come on along people. It'll be fun and the ride past Brown's Waterhole at the bottom of Kissing Point Rd is reason enough to attend. I drank my first KB there back in 1974.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Sep 2011, 19:30

OK - so Jo & I did the re-con ride on Sat and the return route is all sussed out. Nice route it is too, except for the Gladesville bridge bit, which stands as testament to the RTA's complete lack of interest in providing cycling infrastructure, or even access. Seriously, it sucks.
So which route did you guys use over Gladesville Br? The main roadway? I call it truly exciting based on personal experiences! :mrgreen:

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 05 Sep 2011, 07:26

So here's the final route, which is basically: Marrickville-Harbour Bridge-Pacific Hwy-Bobbin Head-Berowra-(Breakfast)-Galston-Turramurra-Gladesville-Inner West.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/49072830/

This will be a C26.5 pace ride. So, come on along people. It'll be fun and the ride past Brown's Waterhole at the bottom of Kissing Point Rd is reason enough to attend. I drank my first KB there back in 1974.
I notice at the 69km mark, you have the route going straight at Blacks Rd. I've never gone that way, I've always turned right down Arcadia Rd. That would be my recommendation, traffic isn't too heavy along that road.

Also, at the Gladesville Bridge, I assume your taking the off ramp as if you're going to head west along Victoria Rd, then going up the stairs to the bike lane?

James

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 05 Sep 2011, 10:12

I notice at the 69km mark, you have the route going straight at Blacks Rd. I've never gone that way, I've always turned right down Arcadia Rd. That would be my recommendation, traffic isn't too heavy along that road.
I guess that MMR just followed the shortest route. If going into Arcadia is better, we'll go that way. I can't remember what we did at that point the other time I've done this ride.
Also, at the Gladesville Bridge, I assume your taking the off ramp as if you're going to head west along Victoria Rd, then going up the stairs to the bike lane?

We will be using the bike lane - as Weiyun suggested above, the bridge is a little scary for me. And just where are these 'stairs'? When we did it last weekend, we did indeed come down the ramp from Hunters Hill and kept left as if you're going to head west along Victoria Rd and then stopped on the R, got on the dirt and went around the end of the fence to get onto the shared path.

I've also heard talk of a 'tunnel' from MikesBytes last year here. I have no idea where that might be but if there is a safer / easier way to get on the shared path I'd love to hear it. (like #2 from Mike below although that describes going Nth, when we'll only be coming south).
Take the footpath on the right hand side of bridge, ie the northern side. When you get to the Huntley Point end there will be a fence that turns you around. Now you have 2 options;
1. Cross the road at the end of the fence and ride along the dirt on the right hand side until it takes you within some armco, where you join a footpath that takes you all the way to the Hunter Hill overpass.
2. Go down the staircase that takes you under the road, turn left and keep left going onto the footpath that appears to your left, it will take you up a short steep hill, where you will join the same footpath that takes you to the Hunter Hill overpass.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=&q=gl ... 2&t=h&z=20

Stuart, I rode over Gladesville bridge twice today and once I took the dirt route and the other time I took the tunnel route. If you are riding with less experienced riders, then I recommend the tunnel route

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Sep 2011, 11:12

Rode over Gladesville the James C and James M a couple of years ago, we went on the road on the way over, it was early and there was little traffic. On the way back we used the footpath. I'll gather some more info on how to get onto the footpath and post back later in the week.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Sep 2011, 12:12

Gladesville on the way north in early mornings is no problem. Very light traffic and it's easy to jump onto Majors Bay Rd. But coming back mid-late morning going south is "fun" on the roadway. No slowing allowed as one swings across 3 lanes of Victoria Rd traffic sweeping onto the bridge. It's amazing what power reserve you find under the circumstance. IIRC, you can also get onto the south bound shared path via Hunters Hill exit and avoids some of the inconvenience. Just follow the road after you get to the top of the ramp and then you'll find the start of the path at the end of the residential street.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 05 Sep 2011, 17:06

Change of plans... I'm in. And looks like it rounds off the numbers. Looking forward to the Gladesville Bridge!

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie
6. Ian (Karzie)
7. Adam
8. Jo the Builder

michele

Postby michele » 05 Sep 2011, 21:39

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie
6. Ian (Karzie)
7. Adam
8. Jo the Builder
9. Michele (it's the old gold KB that got me in!)

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 06 Sep 2011, 07:27

I've only used the bike path once or twice over Gladesville Bridge going South. Most of the time I run the gauntlet. With only a few riders, it's possible. Especially if you're strong enough, I wouldn't like to do it with a bunch though.

I don't know what the road condition is like on the route you mapped through Arcadia. I've only ever done it by turning right at the school. Be aware that the sign directs you right to Galston, but if you follow your mapped route you'll be riding straight. All of the road through there is single lane each way with virtually no shoulder most of the time. Most motorists tend to be polite as they are probably fairly used to seeing cyclists along the road.

James

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Sep 2011, 12:40

We'll be getting onto Gladesville Bridge via this beautiful piece of RTA engineering brilliance

AliG

Postby AliG » 08 Sep 2011, 23:19

I'll be looking at the map carefully for hop off points (recovering from a minor crash last week (my fault, not the driver's - lesson learnt is cars can brake much faster than bikes))

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie
6. Ian (Karzie)
7. Adam
8. Jo the Builder
10. Alison

michele

Postby michele » 09 Sep 2011, 13:55

1. Stuart
2. Eleri *
3. Jeremy
4. Camilla *
5. Dougie
6. Ian (Karzie)
7. Adam
8. Jo the Builder
10. Alison
11. Fiona C
12 Mike H

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Sep 2011, 14:11

What does * stand for?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 09 Sep 2011, 14:28

*Assuming I can get out of bed. Have a BBQ the evening before that is likely to be EPIC. Oh, and I can't do the 18th because I'll be in Sicily. Just saying...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Sep 2011, 14:32

Sounds like a job for Ted

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Sep 2011, 15:30

I'll be looking at the map carefully for hop off points
there's lots, starting with Mt Cola very early on after Bobbin Head, then Hornsby or Turramurra after all the climbing. Then there would be Maq Uni as well towards the end.

BTW, if you're coming and you have a Garmin that does maps (705/ 800), please download the map and add to your Garmin to help us if I get a little lost (which is likely).

You should probably bring 2 x water bottles, some food, a camera if you're so inclined (we will be having photo stops), a phone & money for breakfast (the ferry is free).

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 09 Sep 2011, 16:15

I go over Gladesville bridge every morning on my commute to work and every now and then on my evening commute.

I would strongly recomend taking the footpath that starts at Durham St, goes over the bridge over tarban creek and then taking the footpath down to the tunnel and then across Gladesville Bridge on the footpath.

It may take 2 or 3 minutes longer than the dodgy way shown on the picture above but it is a few minutes I am happy to spend each morning.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Sep 2011, 11:51

Last update.
If it's raining it's off - I'll post here by 5:20am if the weather looks dodgy. In the interests of getting back well before the Wallabies first game of the world cup at 13:30, breakfast is not planned to be a lounge around for an hour affair. It will be a matter of grabbing a coffee and toast, a banana bread or something equally as quick. So, please bring some extra energy bars or whatever is your thing to keep you fuelled up.

I have Jo's old Garmin 705 with the route in it but as I can't actually read the display while riding (I need reading glasses) it would still be great if somebody else could do this as well - Jo the builder I'm looking at you.

See you in the morning.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 10 Sep 2011, 14:30

I have Jo's old Garmin 705 with the route in it but as I can't actually read the display while riding (I need reading glasses) it would still be great if somebody else could do this as well - Jo the builder I'm looking at you.

See you in the morning.
Stuart - I'm planning to load into my Garmin 800. I've got as far as downloading it so halfway there. You can still look at Jo the Builder as a back up for me.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Sep 2011, 14:58

Stuart - I'm planning to load into my Garmin 800. I've got as far as downloading it so halfway there. You can still look at Jo the Builder as a back up for me.
wasn't sure if you were a starter Eleri. Thanks.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Sep 2011, 16:48

Fabulous ride today people. Thanks to all 12 or so who came along and yes, we easily got onto the bridge. Thanks to Mike & Fiona for showing us the way to go around through Drummoyne. My legs hurt a lot now and left thigh is cramping as I sit watching RWC. Will post some pics later on. Pity the helmet-cam shut down just before Ian almost went into the bushes on that hairpin descending into Berowra though - would have looked good! And we got home with 30 mins to spare before start of Wallabies v Italy.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 11 Sep 2011, 17:13

Thanks Stuart for a top day out! I've long wanted to do the 3 gorges properly. And a beautiful ride it was. I still can't believe made it - to the start that is.

Happily installed on the coach now, with last night's BBQ leftovers.

AliG

Postby AliG » 11 Sep 2011, 17:33

Thanks, Stuart. That was a great morning! A perfect ride to kick start my planned return to riding on Sundays.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 11 Sep 2011, 17:43

It was a fun ride, with pretty good weather really. A tad cold on some of those descents but the climbs were a comfy temperature. Sorry for bailing at Hornsby but was feeling a bit shabby. Adam got home about 45 minutes after me and immediately collapsed on the coach in front of the RWC. Not that he saw much of the action! So I was glad I took the easy option.

So many cyclists out today and some big bunches. Liked a kit that was something to do with zoos and blokes invited us to follow them to Dubbo. We didn't. Saw a couple, or maybe 3 tandems. The spider grevilleas were flowering and some sort of pea thing in yellow. Dougie wasn't interested in the flowers - he claimed to be more interested in throwing up. :) Ian fell into a hole and blew up a new tyre :( Camilla avoided the hole and nearly took me out. That's it - she's banished (to Sicily) - take that Camilla! We saw Eugene who pretty much turned up for a photo and then went off on another route, only to pass us going the other way while we were climbing up out of Berowra Waters.

We redesigned the order - delivery workflow in the cafe we had breakfast in. But failed to tell them. Next time.

Thanks Stuart! Good on you for picking a route with lots of hills especially as you love them so much. Looking forward to seeing the high quality pictures you will soon be posting.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Sep 2011, 19:45

Pictures -

Ian at Bobbin Head

Eleri at the same location

The bunch at the top of the Bobbin Head climb

Waiting for the ferry

On the ferry!

and again

out of focus, but you get the idea - Eleri & Camilla climbing out of Berowra

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 11 Sep 2011, 21:35

Thanks Stuart, it was a great ride. And to all those who mocked my choice for breaking my fast, note well how the BBQ sauce got me up Galston Gorge!

Mike H

Postby Mike H » 12 Sep 2011, 17:43

Thanks Stuart for the ride, was a great day and really enjoyed the spin and meeting everyone. Breakfast eggs were the answer although not as good as BBQ sauce on those hills!
Looking forward to the next one.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 19 Sep 2011, 20:31

Suggestion: 9th October - RNP Audley In?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Sep 2011, 22:21

Suggestion: 9th October - RNP Audley In?
Done

9th Oct - RNP Audley in, Waterfall out
- Ride Captain: Nozzle
- Cycle coach: TBD
- Route: Marrickville -> Audley entrance to RNP, exit Waterfall. Return to Marrickville

Could one of the cycle coaches volunteer to accompany the ride. I can't, I'll be at the Australian Road Racing champs

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 20 Sep 2011, 08:42

Bugger! I can't do it. I will be riding the Brisbane to Gold Coast Challenge ride instead.

mr mojo

Postby mr mojo » 26 Sep 2011, 13:01

Having committed to the Fitz's Challenge and being particularly ordinary at going uphill I am keen for this ride (As long as everyone is happy to wait for me at Waterfall).

Cheers
Spiros

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 26 Sep 2011, 17:01

I'll volunteer to lead this ride seeing as I chickened out on Sunday morning. Anyway, I want to ride up that hill. Add your name to the list if you are up for the ride:

Eleri (ride leader)
Noel
Spiros

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 27 Sep 2011, 22:29

Eleri (ride leader)
Noel
Spiros
Anthony K

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 28 Sep 2011, 18:49

C28 sounds about right for all?

mr mojo

Postby mr mojo » 29 Sep 2011, 12:37

When I ride Waterfall it is with the C25 group. I'm happy to be pushed a little until Waterfall and once in the RNP I don't mind if I am left behind on the climbs.

Regards
Spiros

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 29 Sep 2011, 20:54

Eleri (ride leader)
Noel
Spiros
Anthony K
John (happy with c28)

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 29 Sep 2011, 21:18

When I ride Waterfall it is with the C25 group. I'm happy to be pushed a little until Waterfall and once in the RNP I don't mind if I am left behind on the climbs.
Spiros - That would be the plan, stick as a bunch and regroup after the climbs.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 30 Sep 2011, 14:28

Can we say 28ish? Or the ride leader might not be able to keep up due to incompatible prior training regime. OR find a faster ride leader :)

There's really only one climb of any note and that's up to Waterfall. We'll regroup at the start of the climb, ie at the R turn and then again near Waterfall station.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 30 Sep 2011, 16:39

There's really only one climb of any note and that's up to Waterfall. We'll regroup at the start of the climb, ie at the R turn and then again near Waterfall station.
So, that bloody great huge hill up from the Audley weir doesn't count ?? I may be in for this, but maybe not. Will decide on the day so if I'm not there ....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 30 Sep 2011, 17:27

Tis merely a warmup

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 30 Sep 2011, 19:41

So, that bloody great huge hill up from the Audley weir doesn't count ?? I may be in for this, but maybe not. Will decide on the day so if I'm not there ....
Oh yeah. I forgot that hill. The fastest ride of my life was down that hill.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 30 Sep 2011, 20:43

28ish it is...

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 03 Oct 2011, 19:05

Eleri (ride leader)
Noel
Spiros
Anthony K
John (happy with c28)
Todd V (happy with c28ish)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 08 Oct 2011, 09:20

Weather forecast looks good for this ride and I've been reminded that the start time is 6am (somehow missed that point!)

Please bring 2 water bottles, something to eat and carry a spare tube & pump.

See you in the morning!

Return to “Road”