Sun Dec 19th Tempo Cup at Eastern Creek Raceway

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Nov 2010, 16:09

Waratah Vets racing - Sun Dec 19th - it's a Graded Scratch called the TEMPO CUP at Eastern Creek Raceway A-E grade.

Lets get as many DHBC masters riders as we can muster at Eastern Creek for a 7:00am start. Also open to women of any age pretty much so come on you elite girls we need you too!

Come on down!

Jo & I will be there. No pre-entry. Just roll up on the day.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Dec 2010, 13:23

Just a reminder to all the masters road racers that this is the last Waratah vets Eastern Creek race for 2010 and its on next Sunday.

See you there !

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 13 Dec 2010, 15:16

Yep! All in.

Just off to Cent Park for training.

Higher gears ? Check.

Tight cleats? Check.

Pumped tyres? Check.

Can't wait. We'll have fun out there.

With Stuart putting the pain on the 28's, Eleri tossing mountains over her shoulder, Andrew getting new race wheels, and Jess flying the Track, it's all looking pretty fine.

Who else is in?

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 13 Dec 2010, 23:32

ummm yep, as the bad man says - i'm in for the DHBC assault on E grade.

Andrew

PS I promised myself two things at the start of the year: 1) sailing is for racing, cycling is for fun only. 2) don't ever, ever, go to the velodrome & ride a track bike. Oh well, made it to November ...

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 14 Dec 2010, 05:36

I'm in! E grade is going to be crowded with red.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Dec 2010, 05:50

DHBC Assault sounds awesome, now all you need is a race plan. Who's leading out who, or will Pete and Eleri make the break away?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 14 Dec 2010, 08:54

DHBC Assault sounds awesome, now all you need is a race plan. Who's leading out who, or will Pete and Eleri make the break away?
Hey Andrew, can you sprint because I don't know that the other three E grader's have got the Cav like legs!

Best not to talk tactics on-line in case our competitors are reading this .... E grade Vets racing is that serious!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 14 Dec 2010, 10:09

Hey Andrew, can you sprint because I don't know that the other three E grader's have got the Cav like legs!

Best not to talk tactics on-line in case our competitors are reading this .... E grade Vets racing is that serious!

I sincerely hope I don't have cav like legs or I'm never wearing a skirt again. :wink:

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 14 Dec 2010, 19:00

Hey Andrew, can you sprint ...
dunno, I've never tried.

I suspect my aptitude for sprinting is probably nicely described as "a few teeth short of a chainring".

I'm keen to do my bit though: I'll try to enhance the laminar flow of the air around the bunch, by presenting a nice aero shape on the trailing edge, thus reducing overall aerodynamic form drag for everybody.

I think Pip was keen to do the race. Perhaps she can sprint?

Andrew

PipO

Postby PipO » 18 Dec 2010, 17:19

I'm out guys. sorry can't make it tommorrow just too much going on this end of the year. I would love to try some racing in 2011.

Toff

Postby Toff » 18 Dec 2010, 20:30

I'm doing this. Can someone please post a link for the actual road I need to go to for signon? I don't want to get stuck 5k from the start at 5 minutes to 7 tomorrow.

Thanks,

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 18 Dec 2010, 21:58

Hi Chris,

The southern end of Brabham Drive, Eastern Creek.

You will be able to see the pits entrance and cars parked and cyclists warming up from there.

Drive through the gates and park.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Dec 2010, 10:03

Race Report:
I am guessing the relevant riders in their respective grades will put up their own report, but here is my version of D grade. E grade I have to mention, as of course my other half won. Woohoo Stuart. I believe Pete and Eleri did a bit of work to get him to the front. It was great to see a big contingent of red. We were even asked prior to the D grade start if us girls were planning to work together. We assured them we had no idea how to possibly get that into action.

ANyway - Most of the girls (and Toff /Andrew) were relegated to D grade. Michele, Camilla, Jess and myself. It was a pretty enjoyable race - but as usual the boys tend to have the advantage on the 1km sprint finish. The girls all positioned themselves near the front really well throughout the race - which was great considering it was their first crit. A definite need of cornering skills for us ladies - the downhill turn before the finish is quite technical. I was shocked to see Toff do some work out front 3 laps out from the finish - but I duly sucked his wheel. Camilla lead out before the straight, with Toff getting a good position. In the end it was Toff for a 4th. I rolled in some where between 7th and 9th with Michelle & Camilla very close behind. Just for the record girls - the Garmin tells me we did an average speed of 35km. Well done and heaps of fun!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 19 Dec 2010, 10:57

Yes congratulations to Stuart! Well done and a good ride from him. Nice though it is for Jo to give me some of the credit I spent all of 200m in front of him or pretty much anybody for that matter. It was all his own work and a nice ride with Stuart sitting well placed throughout the race. Some dodgy cornering from those (not DHBC) who whimped out and braked half way through the big right hander down hill corner or who slowed right down and hogged the inside corner from fear rather than tactical advantage. Anyway, that's my winge out of the way.

I peaked too late and too early simultaneously. :)

Nice to see a good turn up and congrats to Toff who looked to have been further up the placings in D grade than 4th.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 19 Dec 2010, 11:48

Well everybody had a good time. Despite a few being shoved into D grade on their first race!

Cool temps, a well run Waratahs meet and the grace and majesty of the track itself. Lots of Red out there, all doing their share.

E grade was a very honest race and won convincingly by an in form and consistent Stuart.

I got sixth over the line and had a blast.

D looked great with our compadres up at the pointy end lap after lap in a field of about 40.

Great effort Toff.

Can't wait for the next one.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Dec 2010, 13:09

Yes indeed my first win in E Grade Vets or in any type of race at all. Was it the new DHBC nicks and socks that helped get me over the line? Great day out the "the creek" which is far and away the best race venue in Sydney (well, that I've ridden on anyway). 15 starters for E grade with a diminished DHBC bunch of Pete T, Eleri & I after Michele P, Camilla, Andrew and Jess, doing their first Vets race, were all put in D grade. Pace was the usual low 30's average (31.8 to be accurate) and all in all a great day out. My heart rate at the finish was 202bpm doing 55kph - is that high???

Thanks to Pete who put the pace on from turn 9 on the last lap and Eleri who blasted around the outside going uphill at turn 12 and into the lead, taking several Waratahs with her allowing me to get on the wheel of the bloke with the big thighs! No thanks to the rider who braked in the middle of turn 9 nearly taking me out and as a result of me standing the bike up, I later learnt Eleri as well.

I also liked the communal first lap where all the grades rode around having a chat before the racing started and the free cups of bubbles post the race. The Waratahs also sang their club song to the tune of Waltzing Matilda - that was not a highlight.

Will be back at the creek for sure - next races are the 9th and 16th of Jan which I can't make but will be there in Feb 2011, but sadly probably in D grade. Speaking of which, great ride from all the D grader's especially Toff for a great 4th and Jo in the top 10 in a field of 40.

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 19 Dec 2010, 13:34

Glad I went today. I apparently "didn't look old enough" to get into E-grade, so the day turned out to be mainly an opportunity to see how the racing goes. Got to measure my ability vs D-grade standard (a long way away), and as a bonus, practice my individual time trial skills!

Thanks Stuart & Pete for cajoling & organising everyone to come along, and congratulations to Stuart for the win, and in fact everyone for representing the club.

Andrew.

P.S. Love the photo of the Red Team.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 19 Dec 2010, 14:01

"didn't look old enough" to get into E-grade
damn - no-one said that to me!

Good to see you there today Andrew

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 19 Dec 2010, 14:14

damn - no-one said that to me!
Eleri, I'm fairly sure that criteria is only applied to the men - similar in concept to how they welcome female competitors of any age.

Andrew
(was that a close call or what)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Dec 2010, 16:58

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Dec 2010, 17:33

Jess, the results show 24 starters for A grade, so it seems that the 6 you saw were the breakaway. From what I've seen of Vet A grade there is really 2 A grades, the Peter Milostic / Eddie Salas A grade with a few that can manage to hang on and the Other A grade, or should we say the main bunch, which is the one I'm interested in.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Dec 2010, 20:58

Sorry...I had to add this photo. Who said Stuart wasn't competitive? Check out his handle bar push out to the line. CLASSIC

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/793%2 ... 30_thm.htm

Compliments of Ernie Smith Photography
Last edited by Trouty on 19 Dec 2010, 21:14, edited 2 times in total.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Dec 2010, 21:10

Also Toff, was the guy in the red at the front in our grade? The guy who picked up first prize is the one just going to the line. If that is the case you in the red helmet are just behind him in 2nd unless there were other riders to the left or the rider in Blue on your left got you. This shot tells me I came in at around 8th or 9th if the guy in red is in D.

The champagne at the end was a nice touch, I was a bit tipsy going home

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/793%2 ... 43_thm.htm

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Dec 2010, 06:59

Sorry...I had to add this photo. Who said Stuart wasn't competitive? Check out his handle bar push out to the line. CLASSIC
http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/793%2 ... 30_thm.htm
Compliments of Ernie Smith Photography
well, I think from the picture that my initial suspicions have been confirmed ... anyway a fun race, I'll take the win and it was a great day out.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Dec 2010, 07:12

Jess, the results show 24 starters for A grade, so it seems that the 6 you saw were the breakaway. From what I've seen of Vet A grade there is really 2 A grades, the Peter Milostic / Eddie Salas A grade with a few that can manage to hang on and the Other A grade, or should we say the main bunch, which is the one I'm interested in.
Yes there was an A grade breakaway with the usual suspects in it. If you look at how many riders are in B (52) it seems many may be reluctant to go up a grade. Wonder why ....

Return to “Road”