Heffron Park 14/08/10

Road cycling & upcoming rides
othy

Postby othy » 14 Aug 2010, 20:52

Only the second time I've been out to Heffron Park this year, I lined up in B grade. One other Dulwich Hill member attended, Ian, who also rode B.

Headwind through the back part of the course kept things interesting. Pace was very on and off. I don't know why people bother attacking in the straight when the wind is like that - they're not going anywhere after corner into the squircle. Very scrappy racing for the most part. Lots of excitement with people improving up the inside then getting chopped, plenty of handlebars and shoulders jostling for wheels.

Bucko called an extra lap for B grade. I called for neutralisation which was ignored (worth a shot...). On the final lap, just after the straight, a ball split the riders and I was on the grass narrowly escaping its rolling menace. After the ball incident I scrambled back in and had lost the wheel I wanted for the sprint - Blue Manly rider who was looking strong. Final corner into the straight and two team mates from Bici Bar (I think) lead each other out on the left. I chase from the right after getting around a RBCC rider and am gaining on them but they had a good jump of about 20m. The straight is long and I fade in the last 50m at which point the blue manly rider sees the wind and takes 3rd and may have pipped 2nd, I roll through for 4th and then there's some daylight back to the bunch. Maybe next time I'll use my race wheels.

I suspect the average speed will be on the low side, given how little anyone (including me) wanted to work.

williamd

Postby williamd » 14 Aug 2010, 21:25

Great ride and report othy.
They have to do something about those balls on the track.

HurtsLikeJens

Postby HurtsLikeJens » 15 Aug 2010, 01:07

There were a few instances of balls on the track - I was round the back when C grade was coming through, a few of them shouting something about a ball on the track somewhere in the pimples. Plenty of photos again, and one of a dying DHBC sprinter in B grade...

http://www.cochinos.us/Velocity_Media/Photographs.html

Now, off to bed. I intend on riding to Waterfall for the first time this year tomorrow. I've booked a Taxi from Sutherland about 8am...

othy

Postby othy » 15 Aug 2010, 06:03

Great photos. You really did capture the point at which I died and the Manly rider hammered passed.

HurtsLikeJens

Postby HurtsLikeJens » 15 Aug 2010, 14:47

Older races at Heffron are on Facebook. I'm trying to get out to as many races as I can in the vain hope I might one day be a millionaire and can therefore afford some Zipps.

Return to “Road”